Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
Great list !! What about flax seeds? They love them the few times I gave them some but since it was not on any list I stopped giving it to them.

The Manitoba provincial agriculture agency has information & a formula. Flax amounts to 10% of the feed.

I have no experience with flaxseed but have read that too much in a layer feed, will give eggs a "fishy" flavor. Linseed oil is extracted from flaxseed and used in paint. Think for a minute what an oil-based paint smells like . . .

I suppose then you can think: Omega-3, Omega-3, Omega-3 . . .

Steve​

Last edited:
I'm so thankful to have found this chart...THANK YOU!!!
big_smile.png

MY question is: Do you usually chop up MOST of the things that are feed to the chickens??? Some of my girls were debeaked and it seems difficult for them to get as much as those that aren't debeaked.
sad.png

Also, in my searching for answers for my new flock, I also found a whole grain recipe at the link below. I know it isn't technically a "Treat", but thought that it was good info for those interested in making up their own feed.

If you notice in the recipe itself, the flax seed part is a very small portion of the whole recipe.

The site also has some links to organic feed and grain suppliers. I bookmarked it for when I am able to pour over the info.

http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.html

smile.png

Zucchini! You know those zucchinis that get out of hand and keep getting larger and larger until they resemble baseball bats more than vegetables? Hack them open lengthwise, and your birds will pick the shells clean. Yummy.

thumbsup.gif
Great chart!
pop.gif

For extra protein, in lieu of cat food:

cracked whole wheat
cooked barley
flax seeds - as mentioned above
chick feed!

and let's not forget BUTTERMILK - they love it and it stops diarrhea FAST!
wee.gif

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Oh, question:
my neighbors threw raw potatoes over the fence for my chickens and they loved it, but the chart says potato should be cooked. The girls do seem to leave the peels. Are we all right?
hu.gif

what about ground up almonds as a treat (and even a supplement to add more protein to their regular feed)?

Back
Top Bottom