Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
Hello, great list and I see that I'm doing some things fairly right.

I was wondering about a few items. I have a large compost pile that I add to daily. I dumpster dive in the morning for fresh produce (it would disgust you how much Trader Joe's and every store throw away DAILY). So I bring home tons of produce and I add it to my compost and I let my hens eat what they choose. They of course have feed in their chicken run, but they are free range during most of the day.
So, I often put whole avocados and bananas (use a shovel to chop them up) in my compost and I'm wondering if with such an abundance of choice would the chickens avoid the skins and things that aren't in their best interest in lieu of the tastier treats (grape tomatos, blueberries, strawberries, greens, eggplant peppers)?
The chickens spend a lot of time digging through and turning my compost, looking for bugs and seeds and treats. Should I keep them out of there or let them? I like not having to turn it myself.
smile.png

Quote:
Nicole, I think you are right about this. It's only green potato skins that are slightly toxic and I can't imagine a chicken passing up a bug to to chomp on a lousy potato skin.

Regarding avocado, someone once brought this up: how's a chicken going to get an entire avocado seed down their gullets anyway?

So I think you are doing a wonderful thing by using the veggies that are being discarded by stores.

Quote:
I've read that wheat germ and it's cold pressed oil is almost always rancid in the US. It oxidizes very quickly even in dark glass bottles. Wouldn't hemp oil be a better option?

I read and saved your treat list. So I called my wife and had her bring home a six pack of berry yogurts. I put some "mixed berry" type in a little bowl, and they would'nt go near it! So, I got thier all time fav, a piece of bread, rolled it up into little balls as usual, and droped em into the yogurt. Only then did they taste the yogurt, because it was on the balls of bread. Blue, our rooster even wiped his beak in the grass after tasting the yogurt! Then I tried lettuce, then chopped cucumber. I tried tomatoes last week chopped fine. They just won't eat THESE treats. Do they hafta be in like a mush form or something? ,,,,,,,bread,,,,,,,,,,they'd eat a whole loaf If we let 'em. In time maybe,,,,,but not now. They're 3-5 month Orps. 5 hens, one roo.

Quote:
I'm still new to all this but I've found that you just have to offer it to them in small amounts every so often and let them get used to it.
I tossed out sliced cucumbers and the first day they completely ignored it.. now they start eating them before they hit the ground!

Give it some time! lol

Okay, I am freaking out. I have three cats and feed them in the back yard. I noticed my chickens coming up and eating the cat food. they love it. so i decided to start putting them a bowl out with some catfood and yogurt each night. Now i read where it is not good for them. They know when it is feeding time for the cats and gather around. I also have to keep cat food out all the time, because of the two stray cats that i feed. I think the chicks have found that food too. What is going to happen to my chickens?

Last edited:
Quote:
They might start meowing instead of clucking...

Actually, free-access to loads of cat food might harm them as chemicals can build up in their systems and eventually disrupt their digestion, etc.

:weeeWell, last nite like I said we tried the yogurt, a couple tasted it, and I left it out in thier yard. Today, through the day, they ate it, one mor'n most,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,we brought home some blueberries,,,and they all loved 'em. So many treats to try. I'ts more fun than chapped lips!
Cat food, if they really hog it down would'nt that be like a protien deficiency??? Elevate it where the cats can, the chickens can"t?

Quote:
actually it is more protein than chickens need (cats 30-32% chickens 16-22%?) I believe that the problem with the cat food is mostly the taurine and other stuff that isn't so good for the chickens, but then, some folks seem to use it for them with no issues, so, I guess it's all your own risk.

*off topic* thekla.. I love your siggy... I was going to get 8 chicks.. I currently have 23 and am looking around at others.... yeah..I need to expand my coop and build a permanent run...tomorrow...lol
/off topic

Back
Top Bottom