Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
Quote:
yeah - it was about 80 until yesterday - took in 6 young roos from one person in town who HAD to have them gone by today, and a pair of hens from another that ended up being a nice EE hen and another roo... sigh, gonna be "processing" about 20 roos sometime soon, but got one 8 month blue copper maran roo that is so gorgeous that I just won't use him for food, so I found a guy that is gonna trade me 3 hens (already laying-my others all too young) for him tomorrow)

Quote:
yeah - it was about 80 until yesterday - took in 6 young roos from one person in town who HAD to have them gone by today, and a pair of hens from another that ended up being a nice EE hen and another roo... sigh, gonna be "processing" about 20 roos sometime soon, but got one 8 month blue copper maran roo that is so gorgeous that I just won't use him for food, so I found a guy that is gonna trade me 3 hens (already laying-my others all too young) for him tomorrow)

WOW! lol I should tell my husband that... he thinks I have too many now.. of course I have 5 roos that I need to get rid of..... three of them are still peeps though.... we'll see

back on treat topic: I gave mine watermelon and honeydew today and they went NUTS!
Food Lion had blueberries for .99 a pint so they got some of those as well.. too many for me to eat! lol They LOOOVE blueberries!

I typed up a nice chart of the Treats you can and cannot give your chickens. It is a slightly simplified version of the main chart on the BYC website. I just wanted one that would be easy to print out. I have it in PDF form and would like to share it. This forum only allows jpg, png, picture file types to be uploaded, so if any admin reads this please let me know and I will email you the chart so you can put it up for people to download & print.

My 11 girls and two turkeys just enjoyed their first taste of watermelon. I figured some nice, cold watermelon would help them cool off. They loved it! Almost as much as they love running through the sprinklers on a hot afternoon! lol I'm thinking they watched the kids running in the water and thought it would be a good idea. It's hilarioius to watch!

Quote:
I love giving my girls watermelon and cantaloupe as much as they like to eat it. It lasts for at least two days and as you said it is a great treat for hot summer days. They like pumpkin guts and seeds at hallowean too.

I just gave my week olds 10 cut up grapes. They were really scared of them.
hu.gif

My first chickens, 18 yrs ago, had a grape arbor in the chicken run. They ate all the grapes that fell and those they could reach. Never had any problems, certainly didn't know the grapes weren't good for them. I'm thinking some of the list is just to be on the super safe side??

Sandy

Quote:
Hi Claire... I think at the beginning because they are um...chicken of new things they react that way. My 9 week olds love yogurt but the first two times I tried it they just walked through it. Someone else here suggested trying small bits first to entice them.

Then again these guys know what they like. The second I dropped a fresh corn kernel into the run they dove for it as well as chick scratch whereas everything else has had to be inspected for bombs first.
wink.png

I also didn't start giving treats till 2 or three weeks just because I wanted to make sure they had good nutrition (although some people say to start yogurt soon in very small bits to help provide good bacteria to their gut).

Back
Top Bottom