Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
Thanks for checking - I figured with the amount they've eaten something would have shown up by now, but you never know. If anyone finds specific recommendations I'd appreciate hearing about them. Who would've thought it would be such a treat?

Does anyone know if fresh sweetgum leaves are OK for chickens to eat? Mine love them so much they stripped all the leaves off of the low branches in their run, and I started cutting branches and throwing them in the run for them to snack on. It's one of their favorite greens treats and I haven't seen any ill effects yet, but I was wondering if anyone might know more.
I checked multiple online lists of plant species safe or dangerous for pet birds, but I don't find any mention of sweetgum. I've been systematically removing them from our property because I hate the prickly "gum balls"', but if the girls love to eat them they might have some use after all.
That's interesting, never heard of any birds who would try the leaves.. I know small birds will eat the seeds out of the gum balls but I've never seen any of the chickens mess with the plant. I suppose though they'll try anything once. I'm right with you on trying to eradicate them, I hate the things almost as much as I do Chinese Privets.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Hi

Im new at raising chicken and I just love the list. Im sorry if it already been asked but I am wondering if there is a printer version of the list of food that chicken can eat as I would love to be able to print it out and stick it on my window.

THanks

Chris BD

That's interesting, never heard of any birds who would try the leaves.. I know small birds will eat the seeds out of the gum balls but I've never seen any of the chickens mess with the plant. I suppose though they'll try anything once. I'm right with you on trying to eradicate them, I hate the things almost as much as I do Chinese Privets.

God bless,
Daniel.

The first clue I had about their passion for Sweetgum leaves was when they stripped a sapling in their coop bare! It was funny to see them jumping to reach the higher branches. We started cutting branches and dropping them in the pen. The girls would strip them clean in a few hours. Can't wait until Spring arrives and we can get more.

Hi

Thanks for this great list of treats - really interesting to read. I'm still new to BYC and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this qn, but this is one of my BIG concerns ...

My 3 girls are VERY fussy eaters.
sad.png
So many things on this great list are things that they just toss their beaks at - and refuse.

The problem is I gave them too much fresh corn when they first came outside - I didn't realise what a hole I was digging myself into! - and of course, they quickly got the taste for that, and very little else, including their layers' mash. I've worked hard with them recently to try and overcome this, and they get hardly any corn compared to previously, and days when I go to work, I leave them with some mix of rice, cos lettuce, alfalfa sprouts/ snowpea sprouts, apple, pumpkin. It's a HUGE achievement if I come home and they've eaten most of this!! The big treat would be perhaps 50g of meat between the 3 of them (cooked) - because my vet doesn't agree with meat, but I feel I have to give them something.

But in the meantime, my white leghorn Lizzy seems to be losing weight fast - and I don't know what to do. :(

Sorry for a long post - would love to hear thoughts, Thanks, alliterationsss : )

I am not a massive layena fan, but it is a balanced diet. My first hens got way too many treats, didn't lay eggs or the shells were so soft you couldn't pick the egg up, and the floor of my coop was carpeted with uneaten layena an inch thick. I spent a fortune on food and then had to buy eggs.

If my hens get a treat these days it is a handfull of fresh rye grass or some henbit or chickweed, and they get to scour the backyard for weeds and bugs. Much healthier birds they are too. Haven't seen a soft shelled egg since I quit giving hot oatmeal as a treat. They get layena in their bowl, about 1/2 cup of black oil sunflower seeds and a cup of scratch on the ground in the morning if I have time, mealworms - a few if I have any, and water. And they are fine and healthy girls with plenty of weight on them, one of them is the last of my production reds, hasn't laid an egg in a year, but she is 3 years old and probably ran out in her ovaries. She bosses the young girls around and steals the worms.

My wife, kids and I enjoy the treat chart. We tend to spoil our gals who are just a tad over 5 weeks old now. Blueberries are their favorite thing in the world. My wife is going by the pet store later for crickets. That is going to be a blast to watch. It has been over 20 years since I last kept chickens. I had forgotten how quickly they grow and how much fun it is to watch them, especially when we give them treats.

Hi and thanks for your input. What is layena? Is that what I call layers mash? Different words in different countries?

Yes, my girls love being out in the back yard - but they still act as if they are hungry on those days. Hmm.

Thanks!

alliterationsss - Layena is the name of a commercial chicken feed made by Purina. It is formulated to supply necessary nutrients, including calcium for laying hens. It is available in the U.S. in pellet or crumble form I think. Probably similar to your layer mash.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom