First Egg Countdown

such a beautiful mix!
X2
thumbsup.gif

That is a pretty group of eggs! I seriously want some Marans too, but am limited on space. I'm going to see how many babies in our current batch turn out female, and move from there.

I'm blessed/cursed with a husband who will cave and let me have as many chickens as I want, so I have to be responsible :p.

My DH doesn't care how many I have as long as I don't ask him to build me more coops.
lol.png
LOL same here. I can have all the chickens in the world but if I want a coop its my job. He says Im to bossy when it comes to building and he cant work with me lol. So I build all the houses the way i want and when I need help he does help a little but everything else is up to me.

So glad ya'll are still doing this! We got our first chickens in late September, they are 19 weeks today. We have 5 Ameraucanas (one is a rooster), 5 Light Brahmas and 5 Buff Orpingtons, or Buffets as our children have named them.
smile.png

Anyway, after talking with those at the Feed Store, we figured it would be mid to late February before we saw our first egg, as they are larger breeds. Imagine our surprise when my husband found an egg Sunday evening! Number 2 was laid today. Here is a picture of the first one. It's by one of the Ameraucanas. The egg today was a little more speckled, does that mean it's from a different bird? Or does the color of the eggs vary from one to another in a chicken?

I got my first chickens ever in November. Last week two of them (my black copper maran and my arauracana) were 26 weeks. My arauracana finally left me this bundle of joy. I have a rir and a speckled Sussex at 22 weeks too.

Wahoo! Congrats on the early eggs! That is great. I would guess the wo eggs are from the same chicken. It seems that the color of any given hen's eggs will vary a little bit day to day. The first few vary more than the later ones as everything gets up and running.

You might also note a change in color on the same egg over a couple of days. My SLW lays pebbly pink eggs, but after a day or two, they're solid brown.

Here's Inara's fresh egg

Here they are after a day in the fridge.

I have noticed that the green eggs I get from one of my EEs do the same... Fresh, they are a kind of greyish green... after a day or two, they are a warmer, more saturate olive green color.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new eggs!

And Gifa, I just cant get over how pretty your carton-full of eggs is.

Back
Top Bottom