First Egg Countdown

My turn!
My girls, the TSC egg producing mutts that they are, will be at 16 weeks of age within the next two weeks. The signs are appearing - They all squat when petted, most wattles and combs are bright red, and I caught Parma in an egg trance while hunkered down in her favorite dirt bath flower pot. I have had the nest boxes closed off to discourage their sleeping in them. Well, as of this morning, they're opened up now!

So eggcited ... All that fussin is bout to pay off. Just wondering now how to share a little egg between 6 people.. Hahaha

Still waiting for first eggs. Took shipment of day old SLWs on January 30th. Still nothing. This is year 2, last year's birds are still producing, but can't wait for this year's crop to join in on the fun. Also have 2 RIRs and 2 BRs about one month younger, curious to see if those famously good layers jump the line and lay the first egg for the Class of 2013.

So eggcited ... All that fussin is bout to pay off. Just wondering now how to share a little egg between 6 people.. Hahaha

Any day now.

I look at it as I take care of them. That first egg was mine - All mine.

With 104 degree temps the past 4 days, my girls are on strike. Only 4 eggs total yesterday and 3 total today. This is from 24 hens minus 6 that are broody, so 18 hens.

Any day now.

With 104 degree temps the past 4 days, my girls are on strike. Only 4 eggs total yesterday and 3 total today. This is from 24 hens minus 6 that are broody, so 18 hens.

If I had the first whole egg to myself I think I would cop a lot of stink eyes... But your right ... That's it I am having the little egg to myself.

Hopefully they come of strike soon!!! Naughty chickens. :) .. Hoping for nicer weather for you soon . I have winter here and am seriously wanting it to be over... Sort of hoping seems it winter it will give them time to settle into a routine before the warmer weather starts

Here is my first egg from a 21 week old BA next to a large store egg.
Not too much smaller, eh? Remember yours will get bigger. And the flavor, wow!
Surely she has to lay Any day now..I mean how more red can she get??

Yep she looks about ready!
Any day now I should get my first egg!! Got the nest boxes put up just in time, and the ladies have been investigating those boxes very closely. My 3 red sex links turned 16 weeks last Saturday, so I think I have a couple days yet....but that didn't stop me from making excuses to go check several times this evening, you know, just in case.
smile.png
I know. Gotta check them a lot now. Do you have some golf balls or plastic eggs in the boxes for them to investigate and determine that eggs are not good to eat? Once they taste the contents, it's over.

Any day now.

Uggg.. hot weather! I live in the Northwest Georgia Mountains and so far we have only had one day this whole summer in the 90s! High today is around 81. High tomorrow is 75! The next day is 73! Love the mountains! And that sucks about only 4 eggs! When I only get four eggs (out of 8 laying) .. I feel, well, like.....what's going on with you girls!

How long after a broody hatches her eggs (and we sold them all a week later) will she start laying again? It has been about 3 weeks already and no egg from her!

But, I have a whole group of Juveniles who are 21 - 25 weeks old who should start laying this month! Can't wait! More green and blue eggs! And my Isbar is now 26 weeks old.....still not as red faced as she should be....maybe by the end of the month! Yea! More eggs!

And, last week, I sold my first eggs! $5 for 18 eggs. I have my license to sell, just waiting for more eggs! Got the cutest little egg cartons, too. They are circular and holds 6 eggs. Want to make up a special rainbow pack with 6 different colored eggs. The city folks will love those! Also have the regular 12 egg cartons. Am making labels for them.

Quote: Winter sounds good right about now. You must be in Australia then. We are supposed to cool down into the 90's on Thursday. I sure hope they are right.

Uggg.. hot weather! I live in the Northwest Georgia Mountains and so far we have only had one day this whole summer in the 90s! High today is around 81. High tomorrow is 75! The next day is 73! Love the mountains! And that sucks about only 4 eggs! When I only get four eggs (out of 8 laying) .. I feel, well, like.....what's going on with you girls!

How long after a broody hatches her eggs (and we sold them all a week later) will she start laying again? It has been about 3 weeks already and no egg from her!

But, I have a whole group of Juveniles who are 21 - 25 weeks old who should start laying this month! Can't wait! More green and blue eggs! And my Isbar is now 26 weeks old.....still not as red faced as she should be....maybe by the end of the month! Yea! More eggs!

And, last week, I sold my first eggs! $5 for 18 eggs. I have my license to sell, just waiting for more eggs! Got the cutest little egg cartons, too. They are circular and holds 6 eggs. Want to make up a special rainbow pack with 6 different colored eggs. The city folks will love those! Also have the regular 12 egg cartons. Am making labels for them.
Usually when they wean the chicks, roughly 5 to 6 weeks. But since you sold the chicks, your girl could start laying sooner, or she could decide she wants her babies back and go broody again.

Congrats on selling the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom