Food Scraps?

I doubt they will eat the banana peels. and i have heard that onions aren't good for chickens but people keep saying on here that they do it. I would be careful with chicks, make sure they've had exposure to enough grit to help them digest. and make sure things like carrots are cut small enough for them.
thanks! My husband ended up throwing out the bucket! I will do my research on what to be feeding the chicks :)

My birds are SO weird! They are so scared of everything and don't ever want to try anything new. It's just the two of them so if one runs away screaming, the other follows right behind. They won't even eat bread crumbs! I am hoping they grow out of this, I hate to toss stuff I know they would enjoy! (they are about 2 months old now)

Remember if they are young they need to be coaxed into new things.
Finger peck at the food until they try it, after that their tongue will tell them if its good.

Usually mama pecks at things and they follow along.

Also where in Hawaii? I lived in Kailua / Kaneohe for a few years.

Last edited:
I have always fed my chickens scraps. Right this moment the only thing I can think of that they are not fond of is cabbage. I don't feed onions or fish; because it did tend to make my eggs taste.

My birds are SO weird! They are so scared of everything and don't ever want to try anything new. It's just the two of them so if one runs away screaming, the other follows right behind. They won't even eat bread crumbs! I am hoping they grow out of this, I hate to toss stuff I know they would enjoy! (they are about 2 months old now)

You could try giving them a small dish of something they really like and putting a little "new" stuff in with it, or better yet UNDER it so they find it as the are eating their favorite treats.

Mine are about 3 weeks and they scarf up anything I offer in my hand, I have only tried the basics like egg, rice, pasta, meal worms etc....but they mob me when my hand goes into the brooder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom