Frizzle thread

Pics
Hey everyone I have a 9 week old frizzle and it turns out he\she's a frazzle? or a curly? are they the same thing? anyways I was wondering if I could breed it and if they would be frizzles or curly? I have some other cochins, but I don't like the looks of any curlys I've seen. Does anyone here have a good looking curly? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey everyone I have a 9 week old frizzle and it turns out he\she's a frazzle? or a curly? are they the same thing? anyways I was wondering if I could breed it and if they would be frizzles or curly? I have some other cochins, but I don't like the looks of any curlys I've seen. Does anyone here have a good looking curly? Any help would be appreciated.

Frazzles and curlies are the same thing, a double dose frizzle.
Yes, you can breed her. Pair her with a smooth male and each chick hatched from her will get one copy of the frizzle gene. So, all of her babies will be normal frizzles. Don't breed her to another frizzle or frazzle, unless your goal is a featherless chicken that could poses other genetic issues.
Good luck!

Edited bc I wanted to add: I've had 2 frazzles since I started raising chickens. Neither of them would score high in the looks department. My current frazzle is super cute after a moult, but as the year progresses she turns into a bald mess. However, I put her with a Silkie rooster who had excellent type and she gave me some BEAUTIFUL babies. She has a great personality tho. One thing I've noticed is when she goes broody she has a difficult time with shrink wrapping (probably bc her feathers are sparse and don't insulate well). She does a good job of incubating when she's got feathers, but as they drop I either give her bator chicks or add eggs for her to another hens clutch and play switcheroo when they hatch :)

Last edited:
Frazzles and curlies are the same thing, a double dose frizzle.
Yes, you can breed her. Pair her with a smooth male and each chick hatched from her will get one copy of the frizzle gene. So, all of her babies will be normal frizzles. Don't breed her to another frizzle or frazzle, unless your goal is a featherless chicken that could poses other genetic issues.
Good luck!

Edited bc I wanted to add: I've had 2 frazzles since I started raising chickens. Neither of them would score high in the looks department. My current frazzle is super cute after a moult, but as the year progresses she turns into a bald mess. However, I put her with a Silkie rooster who had excellent type and she gave me some BEAUTIFUL babies. She has a great personality tho. One thing I've noticed is when she goes broody she has a difficult time with shrink wrapping (probably bc her feathers are sparse and don't insulate well). She does a good job of incubating when she's got feathers, but as they drop I either give her bator chicks or add eggs for her to another hens clutch and play switcheroo when they hatch
smile.png
Thank you soo much! I'll have to add some updated photos from today, but I hated the idea of a frizzle when I got this one. (it was in a variety pack of cochins from a hatchery) But it's the second nicest one out of the bunch. I was also worried about sunburns. Do they get sunburns? it has plenty of shade but there are parts of the pen where it's sunny all day. Will it know to get out of the sun?

Mine have never gotten sunburned. My pen is partially shaded on one side, the other side gets full sun all day.
What I worried about when I first got my girl was winter. Even when she has feathers, they're kind of narrow and thin, so I was worried she'd get cold. But, she did fine. She'd play in the snow all day and then hop up on the roost between two of my fluffy Silkies to sleep :)

Back
Top Bottom