Frizzle thread

Pics
Ok, I am confused on the Frizzle...Started doing research and still can't find definitively if it's a separate breed or just a trait...We, of course think they are amazing and would like to breed them with our polish, sultans and silkies...Our normal hatchery even sells only Frizzle Cochins which made me think it a trait, not a breed, hense my confusion...Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Frizzle is a genetic mutation not a breed. Lots of breeds have the potential of being a frizzle with the cochin being one of the most common.

Frizzle is a genetic mutation not a breed. Lots of breeds have the potential of being a frizzle with the cochin being one of the most common.

So if I mix a Frizzle Cochin with a silkie, I get a silkie/cochin frizzle...Maybe...Is there any way to keep a breed pure and introduce that trait?

Do you mean keep the Silkie pure? If so, yes. Find yourself a frizzled Silkie. I breed Sizzles, and frizzled Silkies are a by product of breeding them, so I have a couple. They're so cute! The goal with Sizzles is a bird that looks like a Silkie, but has normal, frizzled feathers. They're not an accepted breed, still a project, so some birds are definitely going to be better than others depending on how long the breeder you choose has been working on them. And they're not something you're going to find at a hatchery either.

Best of luck!

Faverolles have a fifth toe. Now about Frizzles, it depends on what breed the frizzle gene shows itself. I have frizzled faverolles with fifth toes and frizzled cochins without. I dont think the frizzle gene has anything to do with how many toes...it is the breed that determines that. Others may know more about this but from what Im seeing in my flock frizzled feathers can turn up in any breed that mates with a frizzled chicken.

Are these babies frizzles?

They all look smooth feathered to me. They all have a feather or two sticking out here and there, but its normal for smooths to look kind of disheveled as they feathering in.
I'm also looking at this picture on my phone, and the shot is kind of from far away. It would help if you could get some close up pictures. Anyway, it doesn't look like the ends of their wing feathers are curling, so I'm pretty sure they aren't frizzled.

heres my jet black girl I hatched on Christmas as a start of my new frizzle project. I love her! im planning on breeding her back to her father and my smooth roo back to his mother.

Back
Top Bottom