Frizzle thread

Is there any advice on how to pick out chicks that may be frizzled? I am supposed to be picking up 6 day old chicks in a couple of weeks and am wondering if there is a way to better my chances at not picking out smooth feathered chicks.

I could see no difference on my day old chicks, but as soon a the flight feathers started to grow it was fairly easy to pick out the chicks that were frizzled. Certainly by a week old the frizzles were obvious. If possible, consider waiting until the chicks are a week old before buying.

Hi there Daethen

I agree with nchls school and out of curiosity, went back through my baby pictures of those chicks I knew turned out to be Frizzles and at one day old, I would not have been able to pick it.

Flight feathers are definitely the key.

I hope you are lucky
fl.gif

I was told to repost my questions here. :)

We bought 8 Frizzles. It's about 50/50 Frizzle/Smooth. We have one baby that is growing slower than the rest, it almost died when it was less than a week old but we saved it. We can't tell if it's Frizzle or Smooth yet. :)
We have no idea what breed they are and we are worried one might be a Frazzle. Here is the possible Frazzle chick.

I accidentally hit reply before I finished typing.

My questions are... How do you know if they are Frazzles or not? I can't find any decent pictures.

Also can anyone tell what breed the chick above is? They were only labeled straight run Frizzles.

I was told to repost my questions here.
smile.png

We bought 8 Frizzles. It's about 50/50 Frizzle/Smooth. We have one baby that is growing slower than the rest, it almost died when it was less than a week old but we saved it. We can't tell if it's Frizzle or Smooth yet.
smile.png

We have no idea what breed they are and we are worried one might be a Frazzle. Here is the possible Frazzle chick.

My questions are... How do you know if they are Frazzles or not? I can't find any decent pictures.

Also can anyone tell what breed the chick above is? They were only labeled straight run Frizzles.
It looks like it could be a frazzle. They can feather in patchy like that and tend to have bald and red/irritated spots. The only way to be sure is to breed it to a smooth. If its a frazzle, it will produce 100% frizzled offspring.

Last edited:

You have to wait until babies are about a week old or until you start seeing wing feathers. The frizzle babies will have feathers that curl up. In lightly frizzlers it is hard to tell as their wing feathers appear straight. Here are some examples:

See how the wings turn up a bit in the pic above? They lift off the back; this is a frizzle.

This is a teenie bopper frizzle above and how he looked as a mature roo below

The pic below if of the same roo as a baby, maybe a week old when I found him. Again, see how the wing feathers lift up off the body?

Below is another two examples of a frizzle baby.Note the curl to the wing feathers.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom