Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

I immersed myself in chicken research this past winter in preparation to have our own. I realized I'd left out some critical parts of my children's education while my son and I were purchasing our long-awaited chicks. After watching them for a while he said, "You know, Mom, they look an awful lot like birds!"

--Nikki

Ok so I had, quite possibly, one of the dumbest moments of my life recently. I was driving a good friend of mine to my house to show her my goats and chickens. As we pass a cow farm that I have passed and smiled at a hundred times, here is our conversation:

I say, really excitedly, "look at all of the cute baby cows. They each have their own little house and yard until they're bigger and can go in with the older cows!"
She replies with, "um, yeah those little houses are called veal boxes"
Me-"WHAAATTT?" I say, as I start to put 2 and 2 together
Her-"Yeah. That's to keep them from moving around a lot and gaining too much muscle. It keeps their meat more tender."
Me, completely horrified at this point- ".......oh......"

and I'M supposed to be the farmer LOL.

Ok so I had, quite possibly, one of the dumbest moments of my life recently. I was driving a good friend of mine to my house to show her my goats and chickens. As we pass a cow farm that I have passed and smiled at a hundred times, here is our conversation:

I say, really excitedly, "look at all of the cute baby cows. They each have their own little house and yard until they're bigger and can go in with the older cows!"
Her-"Yeah. That's to keep them from moving around a lot and gaining too much muscle. It keeps their meat more tender."

They're not necessarily for veal (right now). If you do a google search of veal boxes vs. calf houses, there is a difference. Most veal boxes are in the dark to prevent muscle growth. If the farm you drive by is mainly dairy, and the little "houses and yards" were outside, then you probably saw calf housing. Farmers use these because it is easier to keep disease from spreading from calf to calf, and the farmer can make sure each calf is getting the right amount of food. Sure, some will be sent off, but some of the female calves may be kept for dairy production.

Last edited:

Those hutches are for calf housing. Most of the bull calves are sold right after birth. Very few dairymen fool with raising veal calves. The calves you see are heifers. It is not a good idea to pen raise heifer calves because they tend to suck on each other's teats. This can cause infections in the baby udders and ruins the animal's future as a dairy cow.

I said something dumb to a dairy family that I thought it was odd they where buying some store bought beef thinking that they would slaughter their own beef. I was informed they did but it was made into hamburger not steak or roasts it was much later I realized they butchered the old milk cows that the beef wasn't good for much other than hamburger and the males where sold off as either breeding stock or as meat after castration.... buy did I feel stupid. BTW it was a multi generational farm and I once told the grandmother that I remember that my parents bought a steer from them once and told her what pasture they where in she swore up and down they NEVER had steers in that lot. I told her about what year it was (I was a little kid at the time) and about what time of year and she thought and said she totally forgot they had beef steers there that year but I was right because there was some stuff going on on the farm and personal stuff they had and they where forced to put the steers there in order to make life simple and straighten it out later.

last year was the first time my boyfreind had ever seen a cow up close in person before at the local fair.
they had the 4Hers spring calves who were very very young while i walked up to pet one it grabbed my thumb and began to suck
my bf was completly horrified and yelled "WATCH OUT!" i just looked at him strangly and said "WHAT??"
"ITSBITEING YOU!"" to this DAY he STILL wont go near a cow becuase he thinks they "bite" that baby didnt have no real teeth even!

They're not necessarily for veal (right now). If you do a google search of veal boxes vs. calf houses, there is a difference. Most veal boxes are in the dark to prevent muscle growth. If the farm you drive by is mainly dairy, and the little "houses and yards" were outside, then you probably saw calf housing. Farmers use these because it is easier to keep disease from spreading from calf to calf, and the farmer can make sure each calf is getting the right amount of food. Sure, some will be sent off, but some of the female calves may be kept for dairy production.

Thanks for the info Kaitie!!! Now I can go back to enjoying my drive past the calves
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom