Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

My boss just told me that one of the teachers said a child was an "agriphobic". I decided that they must be afraid of farms.
lau.gif
Actually,
I just looked that up. There is no real dictionary that defines the word. However, according to the URBANdictionary, it is fear of farms.
Yes, it is truly pathetic how people, even those living in rural areas where farms are abundant, think that food just comes from a store. Those people would be morons, of course.

Actually,
I just looked that up. There is no real dictionary that defines the word. However, according to the URBANdictionary, it is fear of farms.
Yes, it is truly pathetic how people, even those living in rural areas where farms are abundant, think that food just comes from a store. Those people would be morons, of course.

My sister filed a complaint with the grocery store she used to go to. When her son was small (and had already seen chickens butchered) she took him grocery shopping with her. When they got to the meat department there were cute little signs over each type of meat. Cartoon fish and crab at the seafood section. A little cartoon bull, pig, chicken and sheep over each one of the meat sections. She claimed it was too traumatizing for him to see the pictures and then look at the meat in the packages. She would rather have him believe that meat came in plastic covered styro packages and had never been alive!

Now her son is the same little boy who cheered my mother on when she killed his nemesis.. a mean old rooster.. shouting at her "do it again Mom-mom.. put his head back on and do it again!"

i wanted to slap her...
smack.gif

She'd be horrified at my place. My kids (3 and 5) help me with butchering. My oldest always wants the heart, and they like learning what all is inside of the birds. Even when we took the lamb down to the butcher, they were excited to eat him. They told the one guy there, "we're going to eat him after you kill him". We get weird looks when they ask what they're eating if we're somewhere else... Apparently, some are offended if you name the animal, instead of the meat. What's the difference between calling it a cow or beef?

She'd be horrified at my place. My kids (3 and 5) help me with butchering. My oldest always wants the heart, and they like learning what all is inside of the birds. Even when we took the lamb down to the butcher, they were excited to eat him. They told the one guy there, "we're going to eat him after you kill him". We get weird looks when they ask what they're eating if we're somewhere else... Apparently, some are offended if you name the animal, instead of the meat. What's the difference between calling it a cow or beef?

That's the thing though.. we all grew up around the slaughtering and butchering and had to help with it pretty much as soon as we were able to walk.. My mother would even announce at dinner who was on the platter.. We didn't even bother to ask if it was Emily or Gracie or whoever's name was on the freezer paper... because we knew where the meat had come from
So for my sister to suddenly be in denial and try sheltering her son really surprised me especially since he already knew we ate many of the animals we raised.

growing up a neighbor had cattle he finished out for slaughter (don't know where he got them but he just finished them 1-4 to 6 at a time usually just 2-4) one time he had 4 or 5 friendly cows and they wanted to have their noses and behind their ears rubbed and they came to the fence if they saw anyone walking up or down the road. We named them hamburger, meatloaf among other things, had my parents bought one to butcher, it might have made us a little sad, losing a friend, but we knew that we got our meat from what animals and they where living not "made at the store"....

girl playing with dead squirrel

its only as traumatizing as the adults make out it be. kids can be programmed to do about anything with out giving a sh&t

girl playing with dead squirrel

its only as traumatizing as the adults make out it be. kids can be programmed to do about anything with out giving a sh&t
HAHAHA.. I used to play with dead things as a kid... come to think about it.. I still do
gig.gif

(I clean skeletons and skulls as a hobby.. removing the pelts & excess flesh, eyes, tongue and brain then either macerating them or using beetles. Then de-grease, whiten and seal)

I have around 90 skulls now (i nead to do a head count.. lol) and several entire skeletons that I still need to articulate.. everything from a muskrat to a mastiff

Actually,

The teacher *had* meant agoraphobic, meaning afraid to leave the house. But, even though I wasn't aware of the URBANdictionary definition, I'd already decided that agriphobic is a great word for people like me who hate big corporate farms or industrial agriculture.
gig.gif

I'm sure this has been posted before but..............

I brought a co-worker in eggs this morning and when I gave them to him he said, "why are they brown? what's wrong with them, are they old?"

Really?????
When I show or discuss the dark Penedesenca eggs, people always ask how different the taste is. I explain the inside (what we eat) depends on what they eat. The outside depends on the breed.
That works for at least half of the people.
I know some people that won't eat a brown egg and I have customers that don't want any white eggs in the carton because they think they're inferior.
Most of my birds get the same feed.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom