Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Quote:
It depends on where you are in California. There are some farming and ranching areas where the only thing close to organic is the family garden and fruit trees. There are some serious mountain and high desert areas where there might be a general store - or the nearest general store might be 20 miles or more away, and the supermarket even farther.

Where are you, anyway? At our home place in Nevada, there is a general store a couple of miles away, and the nearest supermarkets are twenty some odd miles away, over sometimes closed passes. Fortunately, if one pass is closed, we generally find the other one open.

The reason pickup trucks are so popular in rural areas is that people tend to stock up - at Farmer's Markets or elsewhere - and bring it home to can or freeze. We have a neighbor down the road and across the highway who raises and processes broilers, so we can buy from her and know exactly how and where they were raised. It isn't fuel efficient if you have to make ten or twelve trips to bring the stock bedding or the year's supply of locker beef home. Look in your local ads and Craigslist and see if there are custom slaughter outfits, or people who sell their own beef. A custom slaughter outfit can direct you to someone who might be willing to sell you a locally raised animal. When I lived in Oregon, I used to buy a yearling wether every year from a high school classmate's older brother.

I'm moving to bantams since my doctor has beaten me about the head and shoulders about not eating eggs - which really makes no difference because I have an hereditary trait that causes me to synthesize too much cholesterol whether I eat any or not. So, bantams lay fewer and smaller eggs, keep hubby happy, and remove temptation from me.

Tell your doc he's behind the times: the most recent research indicates that eggs are not a "bad guy" when it comes to blood serum cholesterol, as previously thought - especially from pastured hens. There's still too much uncertainty and controversy about the whole cholesterol issue to delete such a beneficial food as eggs from your diet. It's all the fried food, processed junk food, and saturated fat that's the problem. If eggs were as bad as they say they are, why aren't they also telling youto give up beef all together, too? Most people consume much more of that per day than eggs, so the "egg ban" by doctors is foolish. Besides, doctors are notoriously unschooled in nutrition and will typically admit it. But, don't take my word (or, your doctor's) for it. Do some research on the topic yourself, then decide.

Just remember to approach everything in moderation (e.g., don't eat a dozen eggs at a sitting), and your should be fine.

My grandmother once said something so hilarious along these lines! When visiting a family member who owned a couple of cats,(one of which is an orange tabby whose name is Peanut) she spied a brownish-orange feather from one of their teaser toys on the floor, and in passing said, "Well, look, isn't that a Peanut feather right there?" Of course, she scolded herself afterward for mistaking this for a "cat feather" since cats don't have feathers at all. Poor thing, we still pick on her to this day about it.
lau.gif

-Alexandra33

Uhyup. Doctors are too likely to get their nutrition information from PETA or a health food store. When I was an undergraduate more than thirty years ago, one of my professors at Oregon State pointed out that dietary restrictions did nothing for people who had cholestrinemia in of the forms then referred to as "familial", a polite way of saying hereditary metabolic issues.

I was asked recently how many eggs I lay in a day.

I laughed in her face. Couldn't help it! I told her if she meant how many my birds lay its 10-12 dozen on a good day.

When raising sheep, we had a yearling ewe who was carrying a single lamb that was much too large for her to get through her pelvic opening. She obviously had been in labor for hours and I couldn't deliver the lamb. Since she was so stressed we decided she needed to be put out of her misery. I sent my oldest daughter to the house for a knife. After putting the ewe out of her misery, we quickly performed a c-section to save the lamb.

Amber proudly carried the towel wrapped lamb into the house for her visiting Grandmother to see. Amber says, "look Grandma, Moma just cut this lamb out of the Moma sheep!" My mother was horrified by the fact that I cut the lamb out of the ewe while while my 6 year old daughter watched! Farm children learn a lot of things other children never do!

When raising sheep, we had a yearling ewe who was carrying a single lamb that was much too large for her to get through her pelvic opening. She obviously had been in labor for hours and I couldn't deliver the lamb. Since she was so stressed we decided she needed to be put out of her misery. I sent my oldest daughter to the house for a knife. After putting the ewe out of her misery, we quickly performed a c-section to save the lamb.

Amber proudly carried the towel wrapped lamb into the house for her visiting Grandmother to see. Amber says, "look Grandma, Moma just cut this lamb out of the Moma sheep!" My mother was horrified by the fact that I cut the lamb out of the ewe while while my 6 year old daughter watched! Farm children learn a lot of things other children never do!
I never lived on a farm but lived in the country all my life (2 miles from cable, a mile from natural gas lines and 8 miles from the city bus lines) but at 12 years of age helped butcher some pigs at my grand parent's farm. never saw an animal field dressed before, wasn't "pleasant" but I was by no means warped or shocked by it, in my early 30's had to help pull a rope tied to a dead calf to help extract it from the heifer. that was harder to deal with mentally because of the mother being stressed and not being able to help get the thing out for over a couple of hours. I wonder if your daughter's grand mother wanted you to take the ewe to the hospital to di it like they do people for c sections? lol!

No, she is just from the generation where children should not know things like that! She almost fell out of the chair one time when Amber came in the house and announced I should call the neighbor to let her know the bull was breeding the family milk cow. Mom says WHAT FOR? Amber told her so Pat could mark the date on the calendar to know when "to dry the cow up" before the calf came. Mom says you TELL this child this kind of stuff?????? Poor Mom...

Back
Top Bottom