Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Hey there- I have been drinking raw cow and goat milk for 2 years now, and not once I got sick, in fact, I had gotten sick less! No more flu, less severe colds, all because I started drinking raw milk from my own cow and goats. You should not be throwing false facts around and forcing anti raw milk down in people's mouths.
My cows are healthy and happy on year round pasture.

Off my soapbox...

Those "false facts" you refer to are from the CDC. I bet you don't immunize your children, either.
he.gif

When I was a child, people used to use home pasteurizers, probably because the grandparents and parents were old enough to remember diseases like undulant fever.

Ummm..... the fresh milk she had everday as a child may have been processed in a home pasteurizer. Montgomery Ward and Sears used to have farm catalogs, and as late as the 1960s one could still buy home pasteurizers, butter churns, and de Laval creamers for both commercial and home use.

Ummm..... the fresh milk she had everday as a child may have been processed in a home pasteurizer. Montgomery Ward and Sears used to have farm catalogs, and as late as the 1960s one could still buy home pasteurizers, butter churns, and de Laval creamers for both commercial and home use.

You can still buy those things for home use if you know where to look. In fact I bought a new small cream separator on eBay.

Had to laugh at this one: "Potato plants have leaves? Wait, back up a sec. What do you mean by plant? I thought potatoes grew in the ground?" That came from a very nice lady in my office who also didn't know tomatoes come in different colors and was floored by purple green beans.

the reason raw milk is illegal in the united states actually has nothing to do with people getting sick from raw milk. In chicago they passed a safe milk act in the early 1900's because all these cows were being fed nothing but spent grain from the breweries and the resulting milk was gray in color. The added chalk and other stuff to the milk and a lot of people got sick. The bill was designed to prevent anything like that from ever happening again but some politician got talked into putting pasteurization on the bill. A couple years later there was a typhoid breakout, typhoid can be transferred in milk, and even though there was no proof the disease came from milk new york city adopted pretty much the same laws, than all the other big cities followed,

Its all politics Vehve

The things you mentioned had and have nothing whatever to do with pasteurization. They had to do with the enactment of the pure food laws which is not the same thing. Lots of things used to be added to milk, none of them good. Water for one. Formaldehyde for another. Small amounts of formaldehyde were sometimes added to keep milk from souring. BTW, I have never seen gray milk from a cow no matter what she was fed or not fed. Milk is an ideal medium for all sorts of bacteria. Raw milk, particularly if it is mishandled, can spread many diseases. In addition to typhoid, it can spread TB, undulent fever, listeriosis, salmonella, and a host of other ills I can't think of right now.

A co-worker told me a few days ago about a group of 4th graders that had come to the dairy farm a few years ago where I work now. And as he was giving them a tour of the farm, some of the kids raised their hands and asked "Why are you doing all this work when you can go to the store and buy milk there?" *facepalm* So sad...most people nowadays don't know where their food comes from, let alone how their food is grown/raised! If you have kids, take them to as many different farms as you can, so they can learn how hardworking farmers grow/raise food to feed the world.
I used to teach 5th grade science, and one of my favorite units was on food chains. I did an activity where the kids had to deconstruct their favorite meal and trace each chain back to the source. For example, if they had a cheeseburger they would list all the ingredients and then trace each chain (hamburger = cow, grass, sun). Every year I did that lesson I was totally shocked. Even keeping it totally basic and simple, my kiddos couldn't tell me that the bread came from wheat, much less that wheat is a plant. Or that ketchup comes from tomatoes. If I showed them a picture of a tomato plant they couldn't identify it. On average half my kids didn't know that hamburger was ground up cow because, after all, hamburger comes from WALMART in plastic packages.

It's sad, but it wasn't their fault. None of my kids had ever had any exposure to livestock, farming, or even basic gardening. That's just how it is nowadays.
sad.png

The things you mentioned had and have nothing whatever to do with pasteurization. They had to do with the enactment of the pure food laws which is not the same thing. Lots of things used to be added to milk, none of them good. Water for one. Formaldehyde for another. Small amounts of formaldehyde were sometimes added to keep milk from souring. BTW, I have never seen gray milk from a cow no matter what she was fed or not fed. Milk is an ideal medium for all sorts of bacteria. Raw milk, particularly if it is mishandled, can spread many diseases. In addition to typhoid, it can spread TB, undulent fever, listeriosis, salmonella, and a host of other ills I can't think of right now.
the chicago pure foods act was the first law in the country to require all milk be pasteurized. I understand they had good intent but like most legislation politicians have to keep stuffing the bill till its unrecognizable. Well you probably wont ever see gray milk because of regulation so thats no surprise. But i know people can have grayish/blueish tinted breastmilk so why cant cows.

I am not necessarily pro or anti pasteurization. I just dont believe the government should dictate what we cant or can put in our bodies. If people are willing to take the risk than they should not be prevented from doing so and others shouldnt use propaganda to try and persuade them otherwise.

So I was telling my wife's grandpa about when i was a little boy my grandpa would give us salt shakers and tell us that if we could get salt on a rabbit or birds tail it would freeze and we could catch it. I of course believed him, Well I never got close enough but i sure tried.

Well than my wife's grandpa said his grandpa would offer all the cousins a nickel for every squirrel egg they could find and they would search and search and of course come up with nothing but it kept them busy most weekends.

the reason raw milk is illegal in the united states actually has nothing to do with people getting sick from raw milk. In chicago they passed a safe milk act in the early 1900's because all these cows were being fed nothing but spent grain from the breweries and the resulting milk was gray in color. The added chalk and other stuff to the milk and a lot of people got sick. The bill was designed to prevent anything like that from ever happening again but some politician got talked into putting pasteurization on the bill. A couple years later there was a typhoid breakout, typhoid can be transferred in milk, and even though there was no proof the disease came from milk new york city adopted pretty much the same laws, than all the other big cities followed,

Its all politics Vehve

No, the reason pasteurization became the law is that unpasteurized milk was a major source of TB in the 19th C and 20th C. Today TB is usually a lung disease, but it attacks other organs as well.

The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says improperly handled raw milk is responsible for nearly three times more hospitalisations than any other food-borne disease outbreak, making it one of the world's most dangerous food products.[14] Diseases pasteurization can prevent include tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, and Q-fever; it also kills the harmful bacteria Salmonella, Listeria, Yersinia, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli O157:H7,[15][16] among others.

Before the widespread urban growth caused by industrialisation, people kept dairy cows even in urban areas and the short time period between production and consumption minimised the disease risk of drinking raw milk.[17] However, as urban densities increased and supply chains lengthened to the distance from country to city, raw milk (often days old) began to be recognised as a source of disease. For example, between 1912 and 1937 some 65,000 people died of tuberculosis contracted from consuming milk in England and Wales alone.[18]

A low-temperature, long-time (LTLT) process, also known as batch pasteurization, was first developed to kill the tuberculosis pathogen. The incidence of tuberculosis contracted from milk fell dramatically, and in fact it no longer makes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's list of foodborne illnesses [source: CDC ].

Back
Top Bottom