Fuzzy's Farm

Moved everyone and made a new brooder.. not even gonna bother posting pics of the old one cause its going in the burn pile ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more lost babies after this .. make them a kennel coop /run like the others so they will stay safe and dry .... discovered a bad part of the roof we somehow missed and even though it was tarped too much water still got in for some of them
hit.gif
lost a silkie hen too ... but was not to the rain .... .... gave everyone a round of antibiotics JIC ... here's hoping these are the last loses we have for the year ....

Fuzzy, it's been awhile since I've made it, but I have a recipe for brown sugar pecan pie that my DH loves, if you're interested. It's not the prettiest looking pie, but he prefers it to the corn syrup ones................................Does sound really good right now, doesn't it? I love apple pie, but darned if I can find an awesome recipe for one. The ones I try are okay, but not quite how I like it. Anyone want to throw a recipe my way, I'm willing to try.
OK, what is funny looking about the brown sugar? Does it form a thick crust? That's what this one did. Looks normal under, but a thick crust on top.

What do you want different about the apple? Is it a texture thing (Too stiff, too runny etc.) or a spice thing? My spicing isn't over the top, i just do simple (plain cinnamon for me and my apples, allspice if i feel it) but i can help troubleshoot the texture for you. I know the ratios of thickener to apples, but my recipies are too huge for a pie plate! lol. Me and my skillets. lol.

You can all blame the weather on my cooking spree, i wait until fall to do it so i don't heat up the house. Plus i'm too busy the rest of the seasons, either with the garden or keeping my chickens safe! I am going to save up for the materials to make a predator proof run, even if it's just to do a skirt around the camper.

I thought about doing that with some hardware cloth, burying a bunch of wire too, and then cutting a trap door in the floor. Then they could go out and roll around in the dirt whenever they wanted to! That's why i don't want to go crazy getting too many chickens right now, i can only keep the basics otherwise i'll get swallowed up in food costs and i want to do this right. :) They would still be able to use their run or free range when i was there, but then while i wasn't they could go dig around. They hang out there most of the summer anyway, and having a floor vent would cool the camper better in the summer too. When we get our own house and i have electric we have a small barn fan, the kind that gets mounted in an opening in a wall. Going to go where the fridge is now, because there's a vented door there.

Fuzzy, did you think about using a fence? Getting a 50ft at 4 feet high, cutting it down the middle, so you have two- 2'x50' sections? Then burying them where you need to? Like the type I use for my run. It'd keep the coons out of the underrun for sure, and you'd have enough to go all the way around the outside of their run also burying it. Those ones's only cost about 50-60 a roll.

You hear me Nova? NO EXTRA BIRDS!!!!

Getting the under-run built is top priority.

Only birds i can have right now is a silkie bator, Cocoa's mom (maybe), any blue-buffs i hatch if they show promise, and the orloff chicks come spring.

i have duck eggs in the bator... other than that no baby babies til next year because of the move and that **** brooder.. although new guys and NN that are left are happy n content lying in the sun and under the lamp (temporary to get them dry)

Moved everyone and made a new brooder.. not even gonna bother posting pics of the old one cause its going in the burn pile ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more lost babies after this .. make them a kennel coop /run like the others so they will stay safe and dry .... discovered a bad part of the roof we somehow missed and even though it was tarped too much water still got in for  some of them :hit  lost a silkie hen too ... but was not to the rain .... .... gave everyone a round of antibiotics JIC ... here's hoping these are the last loses we have for the year .... 

:hugs. :hugs. :hugs. :hugs. :hugs. :hugs. :hugs. :hugs. I'm so sorry. :hugs.:hugs. :hugs.

This splay leg chick. It's a lot worse than I thought. Her hip is really messed up. I feel so bad, she must be in a lot of pain. I made her pen dark and made sure she was warm and comfy but she refuses to sleep. I finally found a hobble that she won't manage to get off. I tried the band aid but she kept getting it stuck to the bottom of her foot when I was putting it on, and I made one out of an elastic hairband but that wouldn't stay out. So this time I used a piece of yarn and tied little, kinda loose knots on her legs. I hope it works......... :fl

Last edited:
I think under the camper is 3 feet in some places, so i would want it to be 8 feet tall, so i could install it and bury it in all one piece. Plus i want to do my windows. It has to be the hardware cloth that is good against weasles, because if i move my chickens down the road to my friend's they have spotted mink in their creek. :(

Either way, i don't want to have to buy it twice so i may as well do it up good the first time!

If not for the goats i could have used the fence i have now for my run and made a hoop-style run, i like those! Wouldn't solve my need for a permanent acess run because the holes are too big, but it would stop my hawk worries! Goats would bash it in in no time flat though.

This splay leg chick. It's a lot worse than I thought. Her hip is really messed up. I feel so bad, she must be in a lot of pain. I made her pen dark and made sure she was warm and comfy but she refuses to sleep. I finally found a hobble that she won't manage to get off. I tried the band aid but she kept getting it stuck to the bottom of her foot when I was putting it on, and I made one out of an elastic hairband but that wouldn't stay out. So this time I used a piece of yarn and tied little, kinda loose knots on her legs. I hope it works.........
fl.gif
Nope, i tried that first! They can still splay the leg out because the yarn slides up their hock.

Do the band-aid one leg at a time; do you have anyone who could help hold her for you? I will find a link with pics for you.

eta
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions/30

http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom