Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

Nice birds there. If any of you who raise birds and or have skins of your chickens that you have i would like them. If any of you know anyone who does that let me know by sending me a PM. I am always looking for nice hackle to try.

Great video. I live just a few miles from where the Adam's dry fly was invented (Mayfield, Michigan).
I want to raise a few nice hackle chickens with my 8 year old son for fly tying. I have been looking for someone that would sell a few eggs for hatching. I think it would be a great experience for him since we already fly fish and tie our own flies.

I'm looking for hatching eggs this spring. I've seen some really nice Genetic Hackles here and I'd love to try a few. I have an idea for a project and would also consider a couple of hens as well

Just curious...who is the originator of the breed that has the really long hackle feathers? I have been trying to find the web site of the breeder or company and cannot remember or where they are from.

I have noticed that several times a year on different poultry message boards someone ask about "fly tying chickens". Well I raise chickens of this type and fly fish also. Below you will find some general information on these birds, also if you have any questions I will try to answer them. I hope the information helps thoes interested in raising these birds.
cool.png

Introduction

Genetic Hackle chickens are some of the most exotic chickens on the planet! These birds have been bred for many years to produce feathers for use in tying fishing flies. Their feathers are up to five times longer and thinner than feathers on domesticated birds. There are less than 20 breeders of genetic hackle birds in the United States, therefore they are very rare.
Genetic hackle birds have been selectively bred for about half of a century for their feather quality and are a testament to the flexible nature of the chicken when it comes to extreme genetic manipulation.

Some history

Feathers have been used on fishing lures to imitate insects and other fish foods for hundreds of years. In the early 1950's a few dedicated fly fishermen, who just so happened to like chickens, dedicated time and energy to developing a chicken that would produce feathers that would tie a better fishing fly. Better feathers, for those of you who don't tie flies, mean less web to the feather, thinner width, flexible stem, and longer length.
Two of the best know genetic hackle breeders were Harry Darbee and Andy Miner. Almost all of the current bloodlines used for producing genetic hackle today can be traced back through their breeding programs. As the story goes these men were very generous with their stock, sending out eggs to friends that were dedicated to breeding better birds. As the sport of fly fishing grew and demand for quality feather was on the rise a few of the breeders rose to the challenge and produced better and better hackle. This leads us to the breeders of today, there are only a few and most have purchased stock from breeders as they have retired for a hefty price. These breeders continue in the tradition of bringing the fly fishing fraternity quality hackle with which they can tie to a hook, get out on the river, and fool a wise old trout

Sources

You can not buy fly tying chickens from a hatchery! Packages that are advertised for this purpose are simply a collection of roosters with the correct color of feathers, but normal chickens. However if you are truely interested in raising some dry fly hackle birds there is a source for eggs and livestock. Follow this link: Genetic Hackle Source

Roosters can be kept in many ways but should be kept in an enviroment that keeps them from breaking feathers such as indiviual cages, free range, or low lighting in large pens.

Feathers are sold to fly tyers "on the skin" as capes (the roosters neck) or Saddles (the roosters back) Some capes can sell for up to $150.00 each and some saddles up to $100.00. The average good cape can sell for $20 + and the average saddle can sell for $12+ This makes just average roosters worth about $32.00 each. Not bad for raising them for about a year.

I hope this info helps thoes of you interested, I know when I wanted info on these birds I could never find much. I have birds from Theriault Flies and like them very much (I am not related or associated with them except that I purchased eggs from them). Please let me know if you have any questions.

BD
I looked at the link and did not see anywhere to order birds or eggs do you know of a place I get buy some ty

I found hatching eggs for sale, got lucky with the timing and they are hatching today, there were 18 eggs shipped, 16 were developing, one stopped mid incubation but looks like most will hatch. I still have 5 to hatch but two are pipped. There are all sorts of colors in this hatch, a few grizzly, some silvers (duckwing looking) and some gold looking chicks. It's unreal to think in 6 months, these guys will already be showing some good hackle length. If there is someone raising a few and would be interested in swapping a few this summer, please PM me and we can stay in touch and share photo's as our chicks grow up. Mine are mostly from large fowl but there may be some smaller ones, based on the egg sizes I have. Definitely some nice, fat, healthy/vigorous chicks which means they come from good, healthy stock.

I'll post final numbers later and share some pictures.

Also, there are some experienced breeders in this group. I'd like to know some things about this breed

Any differences in feeding these chicks compared to others? to enhance the feather quality? Feather Fixer is something I mix in the feed for my breeders (other breeds) here. I don't feed a single feed, generally. I mix game bird crumbles, Feather Fixer by Nutrena, wild bird seed or bulk canary/finch seed with vitamins, flax seed, a little cracked corn (make them happy food), Insectivor granules by Mazzuri, Nutrablend Green (Purina) which is a pigeon feed but my Araucana's do fantastic on it alone even. I keep grit available, vitamin a, d, e and k granules are mixed with some Azomite minerals and Fertrell minerals and fed free choice. I think I have everything covered....once a week I squirt some Tonekote on some feed for added oils.

Pens - Wire floor off the ground? On the ground? Free ranging? What are your thoughts? I've read that you can give them a bath if they get muddy, their hackles are stronger and more pliable than the regular chicken hackles so they don't break off like those others do.

I found hatching eggs for sale, got lucky with the timing and they are hatching today, there were 18 eggs shipped, 16 were developing, one stopped mid incubation but looks like most will hatch.  I still have 5 to hatch but two are pipped.  There are all sorts of colors in this hatch, a few grizzly, some silvers (duckwing looking) and some gold looking chicks.   It's unreal to think in 6 months, these guys will already be showing some good hackle length.   If there is someone raising a few and would be interested in swapping a few this summer, please PM me and we can stay in touch and share photo's as our chicks grow up.   Mine are mostly from large fowl but there may be some smaller ones, based on the egg sizes I have.   Definitely some nice, fat, healthy/vigorous chicks which means they come from good, healthy stock.  

I'll post final numbers later and share some pictures.

Also, there are some experienced breeders in this group.  I'd like to know some things about this breed

Any differences in feeding these chicks compared to others?  to enhance the feather quality?  Feather Fixer is something I mix in the feed for my breeders (other breeds) here.   I don't feed a single feed, generally.   I mix game bird crumbles, Feather Fixer by Nutrena, wild bird seed or bulk canary/finch seed with vitamins, flax seed, a little cracked corn (make them happy food), Insectivor granules by Mazzuri, Nutrablend Green (Purina) which is a pigeon feed but my Araucana's do fantastic on it alone even.   I keep grit available, vitamin a, d, e and k granules are mixed with some Azomite minerals and Fertrell minerals and fed free choice.   I think I have everything covered....once a week I squirt some Tonekote on some feed for added oils.

Pens - Wire floor off the ground?  On the ground?  Free ranging?   What are your thoughts?  I've read that you can give them a bath if they get muddy,  their hackles are stronger and more pliable than the regular chicken hackles so they don't break off like those others do.

What line are they from? For good quality skins, raising them in small wire cages is ideal. My taxidermy teacher raises a hundred or so every year, the cages he keeps them in are maybe a foot square. He feeds mainly game bird feed mixed with meat bird feed.

Back
Top Bottom