German New Hampshire

Quote:
I believe she has Dominant Dilute(light hackle)

They do. They carry Mahogany too, much like Buffs.

I've done experiments with New Hampshires and seen both traits pop out.

Quote:
I believe she has Dominant Dilute(light hackle)

They do. They carry Mahogany too, much like Buffs.

I've done experiments with New Hampshires and seen both traits pop out.

Not all strains are created equal. The originals, ofcourse, were strictly from the RIR (mahogany). I know of one (becoming two) English strains that were started using Buff Rock x Rhode Island Reds. They were crossed back to some pure American NHs creating a laying strain that was used commercially. A "meat" strain was later crossed with a German to make some that they have now.The Germans took at least a couple routes to "improve" what they had. What they had originally came from here after the war, but there was some outcrossing. There are a couple decent exhibition strains in the States, but I don't know anything about them. Unfortunately New Hampshires are not a breed that we have taken good care of here. Who knows what the hatcheries have done?
New Hampshires kind of got lossed in the shuffle. Similar to what happened to the Delewares. They both saw an increase in popularity because of their potential usefulness, and fell with an industry that they helped create. The first (two) "Chicken Of Tomorrow" contests was won by a New Hampshire/Cornish cross. Does that sound familiar? The white in selected White Rocks took their place. The white Delewares with the advantages that the New Hampshires held, out competed them. Eventually the size of the White Rock (selected for fast maturity) crossed with the Cornish won out. Still the New Hampshires started it.
What did happen was after the war, the Europeans took more interest in the New Hampshires than we did. It could be argued that the Rhode Island Red along with it's progeny the New Hampshire has had more influence on modern poultry farming than any other breed. The only competition would be the Leghorne and the Cornish. I think it is a shame that we haven't done any better taking care of a bird that we made. Is there any real, original New Hamshires out there? I would like to know more about what is around. If we aren't careful we are going to lose the authentic Rhode Island Reds also.

Oh, and agreed, I'm just saying the majority of what is out there.

I think your mention of the Chickens of Tomorrow thing is great too - For one, New Hampshires back then were true dual purpose big birds. Now, yes, most of our NH's that are true to type are sadly because of the Germans, even though the breed is American. It's what happens when commercialization comes into effect. Either you want production layers or you want Cornish X.

OK, I FINALLY got some pictures - mine are about 22 weeks old, I think.
27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_019.jpg

27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_017.jpg

27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_028.jpg

27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_009.jpg

27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_007.jpg

27529_buns_nh_and_projects_october_006.jpg

Last edited:
Beth, I think yours are darker than mine. The hens anyway. I am unsure which of my two to let mate in the spring. Unfortunately one of mine has a wry tail. Not the one pictured though. It seems more like it should be. Not as long but meatier to me. If I remember the wry tail is inheritable. am I right? Gloria Jean

The picture through the wire is most accurate, they are in tractors right now, and they wouldn't get out in the light.
Yes, I think wry tail is something that passes down.

Quote:
Wry tail is a dq, and is genetic. I grew out a cockerel with a split tail, and a pullet with a wry tail. I think it is a consequence of these birds having the beautiful tails that they do. With the type of tails that they have, I wouldn't breed on with her. My wry tail didn't become obvious until 14-16 wks. Originally, she would hold the tail to one side occasionaly.
Concerning color, my pullet's shade varies from one to the other slightly.

Quote:
Yes, that is what drew me to the breed in the first place. That and the color. Even though I am not a fan of a bunch "of show", I still admire my birds ranging on grass. I guess if your birds are paying rent, and look nice at the same time . . . My wife is the hardest working person that I ever met, the best mother and wife that I could ask for, and is beautiful as well. You can enjoy and respect something special when it is all in one.

Back
Top Bottom