Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
I moved Annie into a horse stall today in preparation for her giving birth. She was NOT happy. She fought me the whole way and keep throwing herself to the ground in protest. I was afraid to pick her up for fear of hurting her or the babies. This will be her first time giving birth. My first time with a kidding too... 👀

I still don't know exactly when she was bred. I brought her home on 12/11/22. I calculated 145 days from that date which puts her earliest potential due date at 5/5/23 unless she was bred prior to me buying her (unlikely).

I wanted to move her a little early because my buck keeps chasing her around non-stop. Her bag is swollen up and she stays by herself about half the time so it seems like she's close... I just hope being separated from the herd doesn't send her into full panic.

We have Nigerian Dwarf goats for milk and selling the babies. (We currently have a buckling, who we can wether, and a wether for sale in SC. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...at-kids-for-sale-in-sc.1566848/#post-26592862)

Right now we've only got a buck, a wether, two does, and two babies. We just lost a doe a few weeks ago (the one in my profile pic). We're honestly not sure how much longer we're going to keep doing goats, but I'm enjoying them in the meantime.

Here's a few pics:
1682620550186.png

1682620731238.png

1682620761974.png

1682620852834.png

1682620820884.png

From top to bottom:
Juniper, Providence, Frank and Rowan (Frank and Juniper's son), Pippin (Frank's son, the doe we lost was his mama), and Zach.

We have Nigerian Dwarf goats for milk and selling the babies. (We currently have a buckling, who we can wether, and a wether for sale in SC. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...at-kids-for-sale-in-sc.1566848/#post-26592862)

Right now we've only got a buck, a wether, two does, and two babies. We just lost a doe a few weeks ago (the one in my profile pic). We're honestly not sure how much longer we're going to keep doing goats, but I'm enjoying them in the meantime.

Here's a few pics:
View attachment 3484180
View attachment 3484182
View attachment 3484183
View attachment 3484185
View attachment 3484184

From top to bottom:
Juniper, Providence, Frank and Rowan (Frank and Juniper's son), Pippin (Frank's son, the doe we lost was his mama), and Zach.
Soooooo cute!!!!

I am thinking of getting into goats, NO idea why I didn't stalk this thread sooner. Gosh.
Welp, anyone have any tips? Like those, "Things I wish I knew befar I got me some goats."?
I think I mainly want to breed pets, so I'm leaning towards Nigerian Dwarf.

Also- goat genetics ARE INSANE. I got rabbits down to a T, but goats?!? Anything can happen with these crazy critters, I am SO shocked and amazed at the diversity and randomness!! Got get me a good website and spend an entire afternoon trying to comprehend geenneetiics.
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

I am thinking of getting into goats, NO idea why I didn't stalk this thread sooner. Gosh.
Welp, anyone have any tips? Like those, "Things I wish I knew befar I got me some goats."?
I think I mainly want to breed pets, so I'm leaning towards Nigerian Dwarf.

Also- goat genetics ARE INSANE. I got rabbits down to a T, but goats?!? Anything can happen with these crazy critters, I am SO shocked and amazed at the diversity and randomness!! Got get me a good website and spend an entire afternoon trying to comprehend geenneetiics.
Happy Chris Pratt GIF
How exciting! The biggest thing I can think of right now is that I HIGHLY recommend getting goats without horns. It is a personal preference and in some cases doesn’t make a difference, but horns are the bane of my existence lol :rolleyes:
Pet goats, especially Nigerians, just sell better without horns, and horns on minis are unfortunately right at knee level when standing, and eye level when sitting 😂

If you had any questions on Nigerian genetics I may be able to help you out, that’s a niche interest of mine 😅😂
I have the genotypes for color figured out for my entire herd, and can pretty accurately predict what colors the kids will be from each pairing 😁
I like this website for figuring out combination patterns, although the genetic matchups aren’t 100%.
This book is where I learned most of the genetic stuff, I seriously hope they come out with a print version soon 😁

Back
Top Bottom