Golden Retriever Thread!

Aww, they are so cute.

So many people are stereotypical about girls being better family dogs than boys. I bet that's why you sold all the girls first. My family has only ever had females, but I wouldn't be opposed to having a male.

Whaaat lol girls are grouchy! Trust me, I know. I've got 3 female dogs, and they can all be heifers. My one male is a big lovable doofus
1f602.png

Ohhh okay, I didn't know there were studies about it or anything. That makes sense. Although I would think it would be hard on their bodies? But I guess it's better than infection plus you're not breeding her much, probably more of a concern in mills haha

The puppies are adorable! OMG! You say last male so does that mean the other found a home!? :D

I really want a golden lol

Not really, they bounce back quicker than you think! And pyometra is nasty, at best you'd have to have her uterus scraped, at worst you'd have to have it removed. I follow the breeding from ages 2-5 rule, every cycle unless her health suggests other wise. Obviously you don't want to rebreed if she's malnourished, sick, etc! And I don't rebreed bad moms, even if she made good puppies.

And yes! He's going to Nevada, so there's just one little boy left

That's weird, I've always heard the opposite. That males are goofy and friendly and just big adorable lovey goofs and females are more stand offish/moody LOL we've always had males as that was my parents reasoning aha it probably depends on the breed.

That said, there's probably also a belief that females are cleaner or more dainty and cute or something haha or less aggressive, idk

Definitely don't understand lol. I thought maybe it was because in everyone's mind females = breeding/puppies, but both my girls sold with limited registration, so I guess that's not it.
And females are more aggressive, I chose a collie as sort of a "guard" dog and got a female for that reason, she will be more weary than a male

Whaaat lol girls are grouchy! Trust me, I know. I've got 3 female dogs, and they can all be heifers. My one male is a big lovable doofus
1f602.png

Not really, they bounce back quicker than you think! And pyometra is nasty, at best you'd have to have her uterus scraped, at worst you'd have to have it removed. I follow the breeding from ages 2-5 rule, every cycle unless her health suggests other wise. Obviously you don't want to rebreed if she's malnourished, sick, etc! And I don't rebreed bad moms, even if she made good puppies.

And yes! He's going to Nevada, so there's just one little boy left
Definitely don't understand lol. I thought maybe it was because in everyone's mind females = breeding/puppies, but both my girls sold with limited registration, so I guess that's not it.
And females are more aggressive, I chose a collie as sort of a "guard" dog and got a female for that reason, she will be more weary than a male

Huh, that's interesting, i never would have guessed that breeding back to bacl was better but that makes sense :)

And yeah, it's weird lol nut people seem to like females for some reason. And that's true, males seem to love everybody

Ya I never quite understood the 'must have female or male' view. We've seen all kinds of behaviors from all kinds of pets. I've had great female cats and dogs and had ones that don't get along. I know with my two girls they only tend to get grouchy when they went into heat for the first time not to long ago, as soon as it was over poof gone! Back to loving and playing with each other. With my fiends two males (neutered) they fight like nails over who is alpha so bad they had to put up babygates all over the house to keep them apart where ever they are. My other neighbor no problem, three males and noda for fighting. Super loveanle and goofy dogs. Same with cats, birds, reptiles, etc.....all the individual animal.

Ya I never quite understood the 'must have female or male' view. We've seen all kinds of behaviors from all kinds of pets. I've had great female cats and dogs and had ones that don't get along. I know with my two girls they only tend to get grouchy when they went into heat for the first time not to long ago, as soon as it was over poof gone! Back to loving and playing with each other. With my fiends two males (neutered) they fight like nails over who is alpha so bad they had to put up babygates all over the house to keep them apart where ever they are. My other neighbor no problem, three males and noda for fighting. Super loveanle and goofy dogs. Same with cats, birds, reptiles, etc.....all the individual animal.

Wow that's so interesting they can be so different!

I agree though, definitely the individual animal.

And I'm sure they probably love both of them but if it was me I'd probably rehome one of the dogs, easier on everybody than having baby gates everywhere and having to be constantly alert, and I'm sure the dogs would be happier too

Wow that's so interesting they can be so different!

I agree though, definitely the individual animal.

And I'm sure they probably love both of them but if it was me I'd probably rehome one of the dogs, easier on everybody than having baby gates everywhere and having to be constantly alert, and I'm sure the dogs would be happier too

Ya it's not the most ideal situation. One dog is almost 12 years old and the other is 2 years old so there is a obvious issue with the older one getting more easily hurt to. Plus the 2 year old has at least 40 lbs on the older one. I love my pets but that's a bit much even for me.

Ya it's not the most ideal situation. One dog is almost 12 years old and the other is 2 years old so there is a obvious issue with the older one getting more easily hurt to. Plus the 2 year old has at least 40 lbs on the older one. I love my pets but that's a bit much even for me.

Ohhh that makes more sense then that they wouldnt rehome him since he's older and maybe been there first. Maybe the older is jealous or grumpy from being old or something? Or does the young one start the fights? What breed/general size is the older guy? Maybe they're thinking he'll just pass on soon?

Here are my babies! Now six weeks old. I've got deposits on both the girls (one going to California and the other to Colorado!) but so far no interest in the boys.
Im not understanding why everyone only wants the females!
i can tell you that as a boarding kennel owner I've never had a female pee inside ... the males pee on everything!!! It is obvious to me why the females are more popular
1f60a.png

I own 4 female dogs ,
A yellow lab rescue dog
A lab x corgi rescue
A cocker someone dropped off on our yard
And a cocker x bicon I bought for myself

Last edited:
Ohhh that makes more sense then that they wouldnt rehome him since he's older and maybe been there first. Maybe the older is jealous or grumpy from being old or something? Or does the young one start the fights? What breed/general size is the older guy? Maybe they're thinking he'll just pass on soon?

Back
Top Bottom