Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics

draye

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Arkansas
I have started a project for myself. There will be a few culls that I will sell off. I'm not really trying to start a new breed or anything just trying to roll my two favorite breeds into one. Naked Necks and Easter Egger/Ameraucana.

I started out with:

And:

And got only one pullet:

On October 2nd I hatched out a batch if 14 chicks from 3 hens and the Salmon colored NN rooster posted above.
Here are the hens from the second hatch:

I will start posting the pictures in the next few posts.

IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
Well after keep in putting it off I got a couple of shire if the newest GENN. I think this is the one,I'm about 97% positive on it .

She is Columbian colored. Bare necked and a semi-pea comb ( it is a little bit modified).

Just got to figure out a way to get the green eggs to continue.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 4
Won't happen. Sorry. They are linked genes.
Actually it can happen, but it would be a long haul getting there.

Examples: Cream Legbars, Blue Isbars, Arkansas Blue Egg Layers. Naming a few.[/QUOTE]

Yep it's called crossing over, when closely linked genes happen to split up and cross over to a chromosome.

In central and south america, single comb blue/green layers are extremely common. Including naked necked ones.

My newest project for later on this winter or next year. I've got this cockerel that hatched from a blue/green egg, but his dad wasn't a blue egg gene carrier, so I'm not positive that he carries it. But I also have this nice little black Ameraucana pullet, so I want to cross the two of them... He's got a crappy pea comb, but I think crossing the two might bring out some nicer looking pea combs as well as some nice light green eggs. They're both only about 4 months old right now, and he carries both copies of the NN gene so I know I'll get a good percentage of Nn's, and any pullets that lay green eggs can be bred back to him. My main breeding goals are large/heavy/meaty NN's, but this will be a fun side project. :cool:
0825181157f.jpg
0822181819d.jpg

Last sentence is correct- as for NN, if you do not see it, it is 100% NOT in that bird in any way or form. It's a single dominant gene. You can breed a bird with naked neck with any other bird, barred rock, polish etc and the chicks will come up with naked necks.

NN has nothing to do with scaleless. Completely separate genes. Scaleless actually showed up in a flock of New Hampshires, no naked neck involved. Scaleless is recessive which means a bird can carry it and you can't tell by looking at it... but there is a little something unusual, some carriers do show areas of missing scales on their legs but otherwise they look normal.

Since then, scaleless has been mixed up with NN though, mostly for the fun of it. A NN bird carrying scaleless looks the same as any other NN, except for few of the carriers showing areas of missing scales on their legs.

Last edited:
Kev,
Not sure how long I'll be able to keep getting any that will lay the green eggs. I'm not saving any roosters from green eggs (I do have one right now, but I'm not happy with his size and what he's throwing).

I've thought about trying to locate a Olive Egger (Marans-Ameraucana cross), but I really don't want to deal with feathered legs on my birds. The other crosses people are calling OE's aren't to my liking (Legbars-Marans, Welsumers-Legbar, varieties of brown egg layers crossed with different varieties green egg layers).

I know a lot of folks like the pea comb ( I do too), but I'm wanting to breed the GENN's to the standard other than the egg color. These oddball varieties are just practice ones. So that means that I need to get single combs and still maintain the blue egg gene. any ideals how to do that?

Yeah no real way other than getting single comb blue/green eggers. The chances of getting a single comb colored egger out of pea comb stock is extremely low.

Unfortunately OE with Marans blood is the best for weight/size gain.. however as far as I can see, a majority are pea combed plus leg feathering is not that easy to completely eliminate. It's possible to get a good number of clean leg birds by breeding them only with clean legs but there probably will be the occasional chick with partial or even full line of fuzz down their legs.

Have you looked at blue isbar or Silverudd's blue(same breed) is a genetic single comb and seem to be a little heavier than other colored eggers. Pures or crosses with heavier birds would not be such a bad idea.. only negative is they are prone to white ear lobes, not sure if you like that or not.

Back
Top Bottom