Hands on hatching and help

:th. Lol good luck!
Ok, so what is a black split? I am 100% sure that I will never get the genetics of color down....lol

Fair warning...I'm going to flood the thread with silkie pics...lol I brought them in today to wash off dirty feet and get the dirt and poo out of the foot feathers so we did individual photo shoots....lol They are still dusty/dirty from the dirt run, but I tried washing/bathing and didn't like it so....lol

Black split only means that it has one black parent and one paint parent. I don't think much is actually known about paint genetics. Do the extremely dirty, feathery feet drive you nuts too? I swear it gets so bad here! In the summer I set up a little shampoo pool outside and do them all one after the other (just the feet). In winter I do one or two here and there. It's just gets so gross! Anyway, I love the pics!! Shadow is an extremely handsome looking boy! In that second pic he's got a great "u" shape! He's gonna give you nice babies. I loved seeing them all!! :hugs

I'm so jealous!  :D   Good luck with the set!

:fl

:ya   What day are these on?

Dawwwwwww!  Super cute.  :love   I'd hold them all day if I could.

Had to look it up, lol... on Day 13...

I haven't hatched my own eggs in a couple months. But no more white girls. Just paint and black splits, so I'm really curious to see what you get!

I can't wait either! And funny, I didn't actually hatch any whites from yours last time... well, 1 cockerel that was technically white but he was split to Paint since he had pigment holes... the one pullet I *thought* was white has a single paint spot, just one feather but it's there, lol... and the Paint cockerel I got is absolutely gorgeous... plus the black pullet too... super excited to see what this hatch brings!

I can't wait either! And funny, I didn't actually hatch any whites from yours last time... well, 1 cockerel that was technically white but he was split to Paint since he had pigment holes... the one pullet I *thought* was white has a single paint spot, just one feather but it's there, lol... and the Paint cockerel I got is absolutely gorgeous... plus the black pullet too... super excited to see what this hatch brings!

I'm really happy I sent eggs when I did because last couple days I've gotten 1 egg a day! The broodiness has spread to almost every single girl. The coop floor looks like a layer of fur balls!! I have one "white" grow out and I noticed she has the exact same pigment spot on the comb as yours!

Yeah, this time of year I even toss my cash on the floor a few times before I leave the house, just to make sure,  you know?

Lol

Black split only means that it has one black parent and one paint parent. I don't think much is actually known about paint genetics. Do the extremely dirty, feathery feet drive you nuts too? I swear it gets so bad here! In the summer I set up a little shampoo pool outside and do them all one after the other (just the feet). In winter I do one or two here and there. It's just gets so gross! Anyway, I love the pics!! Shadow is an extremely handsome looking boy! In that second pic he's got a great "u" shape! He's gonna give you nice babies. I loved seeing them all!! :hugs

Yes, it drives me nuts! They have such beautiful heavily feathered feet but they are always dirty and have mud or poo balls in the feathers...lol. I had an awesome supplier!

I didn't truely get a white from hers either. I have one that looks white, but if you pull out her wing you will find two feathers that have a smudge of what looks like brown barring on them hiding....lol

I'm really happy I sent eggs when I did because last couple days I've gotten 1 egg a day! The broodiness has spread to almost every single girl. The coop floor looks like a layer of fur balls!! I have one "white" grow out and I noticed she has the exact same pigment spot on the comb as yours!

What are these crazy girls thinking??

I thought I lost my bantam cochin Katherine last night. Got home from dinner, and it was right at dark. Went to close up their coop and she wasn't inside. Searched and searched the yard, near tears, finally found her between the feed barrels. Not sure why she didn't make her way back to the coop. But I was so happy to find her. She has been acting like she wants to brood again, maybe.... but nobody in that pen is laying anyway....

Lol
Yes, it drives me nuts! They have such beautiful heavily feathered feet but they are always dirty and have mud or poo balls in the feathers...lol. I had an awesome supplier!
I didn't truely get a white from hers either. I have one that looks white, but if you pull out her wing you will find two feathers that have a smudge of what looks like brown barring on them hiding....lol

I guess the silkie feet feathers are just so different than the cochin feathers. My cochin girls keep theirs really clean. Even when they get in the mud, they clean them off really well.

My silkies never had any problem either, cause they had such pitiful feet feathers anyway.
gig.gif

What are these crazy girls thinking?? 

I thought I lost my bantam cochin Katherine last night.  Got home from dinner, and it was right at dark.  Went to close up their coop and she wasn't inside.  Searched and searched the yard, near tears, finally found her between the feed barrels.  Not sure why she didn't make her way back to the coop. But I was so happy to find her.  She has been acting like she wants to brood again, maybe....  but nobody in that pen is laying anyway....

I guess the silkie feet feathers are just so different than the cochin feathers.  My cochin girls keep theirs really clean.  Even when they get in the mud, they clean them off really well. 

My silkies never had any problem either, cause they had such pitiful feet feathers anyway.  :gig

Not mine. It doesn't help that the run is dirt, no grass. I think in the spring I'm going to put straw out there to try to help when it's so wet from snow melting and spring showers.

I'm a big fan of dried leaves in the run! Dry feet, lots of digging and scratching, and easily replenished!
I know some that use the dry leaves in the coop as part of the deep litter method. Id have to go steal leaves. All we have are trees with those little thin leaves...lol

Back
Top Bottom