hen crowing.... or something

motorboat

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
I have never seen this before. This hen does something similar to a crow. She does this when people show up as if she is excited. She can do this for 15-20 mins. She eventually stops/calms down. This is just a small sample. She strains her neck out and really gets into it. I don't know what to call it. It's not a bock bock you typically hear from a female.

What is this?

0.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a rooster? If not is she the alpha hen? Sometimes if you have a flock of hens and no rooster one of the females will step in and take his place. Even going as far as to start crowing, mating, and growing rooster like plumage after a molt. I had a lone hen once who did this because their weren't any other chickens with her. It could be something else though, it's just my best guess.

We have a hen that has laid many eggs over the years. Now she has gone through "henapause" and has decided to start crowing. [VIDEO]

Sjisty, now that's a crow!

My hen is new to the flock. She started this the first day I got her. No roosters. She fits right in, is very energetic and involved and puts up with the mild pecking she gets from 2 of the other hens. Like I said in my original post she does this mostly when people show up. It's as if she is excited. After a while she stops. Maybe she gets tired. She puts a lot in to it and the neck straining is hilarious.

I guess it's her way of expressing herself.

Back
Top Bottom