Hey Grandpa, What's For Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a pic of the type of squash I cooked a few nights ago.
100_1696.jpg

Anyone know what type it is?
Still haven't decided about dinner. Probably won't until it's time to eat. Found out my Dad's in ICU not doing well, I don't feel like cooking.

Monica

I'm curious about this "bat stew". More info would be greatly appreciated.

Buttermilk waffles, sausages and sauteed apple slices for dinner tonight, with peaches poached in red wine topped with almond flavored softly whipped cream and shortbread cookies for dessert. It seemed to "hit the spot" with all of us.

We're very tired today. Dh had a Drs. appt. and we changed bedding, bathed dogs, gathered seeds, etc. So we're having twice baked potatoes with fresh corn, olives, and that's it. I had planned chicken, but it can wait until tomorrow. Well, we will have some of the homemade mint ice cream for dessert.
smile.png

Bat? Inquiring minds want to know!
big_smile.png

Cknmom, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad not doing well. (((Hug!)))

Your squash looks like one of the orange buttercups. The ones I've seen weren't spotted, but there are so many varieties, and people cross pollinate. I did see an orange Hubbard, once, which looked similar.

Happy Hen, I've never had dessert after waffles before, but it all sounds great!
smile.png

Miss_Jayne, if I wasn't so tired, I'd be right over! Ribs are my weakness, and that's how I like them, with bread!
smile.png
Do you eat buffalo often? It's all we've eaten for years, and we love it!
smile.png

Hi, Redfeathers!
frow.gif
We were just talking about bbq'd baked beans. Heavenly! I hope all is well there.
smile.png

Purr, thanks for the idea, we do like provolone! That sounds like a real treat; going out! I make chili cheese fries sometimes. Mmmm!
smile.png

Backyard Buddies, thanks for the link! A lot of those ingredients are the ones I use, as well, though I've never mixed so many bean types together for barbeque'd beans! I agree about the garbanzos. I really like them otherwise, though. We used to put them in salads, then one day I decided to cut out the middle man, and started having garbanzos with dressing on them, with Saltines, just as a snack!
big_smile.png

The last homemade thing I made was this quiche, with squash, thyme, and my homemade mozzarella--I kneaded dried thyme into the cheese curds as I was making it, too. MAN, stuff like this will be better when I have farm fresh EGGS.

2668770397_670a4dc7aa.jpg

So my favorite fast meal is: Well I made it up and it doesnt have a name. Its kind of a casserole. You use chicken already cooked, frozen or fresh. Noodles any kind I like twists. A bag of Alfredo sauce mix. Frozen or fresh veggies. Cook in oven tell warm, veggies are soft. I top mine off with cheese. I use the kind of noodles that cook in the oven when I can. Or you have to cook noodles first. I also make lots this saves in the freezer great.

Tutter.. I hope DH is alright and it was just a routine appt.

ninjapoodles.. where ya been? That quiche looks awesome! How much longer before your girls are laying for you?

michigan chick.. that sounds like a good casserole ..wonder if I could incorporate some tuna into it, rather than chicken ...DH likes Tuna Casseroles

Well, I started out with a quick simple meal and it got long.
We had hawiian pizza with homemade crust, homemade alfredo sauce, cut up honey ham deli slices, pineapple, gr. onion. We also had fried zucchini and ranch dressing. DGD helped with it all.
She made the alfredo sauce by herself!

Monica
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers for my dad, he's worse tonite.

cknmom ..I hope he has a turn for the better tonight and you can get to see him very soon! Still sending up prayers...

ninjapoodles.. you should start seeing some little bitty first eggs soon, I would think. Anyways.. much sooner than me... everyone has turned out to be a "hardhead" around here ..just waiting to see what comes out of the incubator this time ..if anyone
tongue.png

...we ate leftover Enchiladas, btw! Always better the next day, if you ask me
wink.png

We just had cheeseburgers, with cheddar cheese, on home-made potato bread. I got a Panasonic bread machine a few weeks ago at a garage sale for $2. I've never had one before but always made my bread the old-fashioned way. Now I can't do that anymore because of RA. This bread machine is great. I love it. I make all our bread in it now. I've got myself a sourdough mother in the fridge and have hunted up recipes for our favorite breads on the net. I've made sourdough (but of course you knew that already), potato (you knew that too), french (has great taste, although it not traditional shape), english muffin bread and buttermilk. It is so easy just to put the ingredients in, close the lid and turn it on. I did learn to spray nonstick spray on the inside of the lid as a few recipes I have are a bit
hmm.png
large for my machine. This makes sure that the top gets browned and doesn't stick to the inside of the lid. Trial and error. Since I already have an electric slicer, it is easy to get nicely sliced bread for sandwiches and toast. I bought some bread bags from my local store's bakery to put my bread in. Also, I put the bread machine in the laundry room so there's no heating up the kitchen at all to have fresh bread. I would still like to make bread the old fashioned way, but this is second best thing. I have noticed that since there are no preservatives, as in commercial bakery breads, the bread goes moldy after only 3-4 days, even though I make sure it is completely cooled before slicing and bagging.

Last edited:
bluerose- Does your machine have a dough setting? I put mine on dough setting most of the time. When it is finished you shape it, put it in a pan, rise and bake. So you can still have french bread in the original shape. I also put the thing that comes in aspirin bottles or other vitamins to keep moisture out inside the bag. It does help keep it a little longer. I haven't tried them but, in my bakers catalogue they have diastatic malt powder and granular lecithin, they say they improve shelf life. One of these days Ill order some and try them.

Monica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom