Horse misbehaves

They do have 4H but you have to live there to join unfortunately I don't. I'm only there on weekends.

Talk to the 4-h leader, they may have some suggestions.

Is it possible to take lessons using a school horse near where you live M-F?

Even if you do live in the city, I bet there are riding stables - lesson barns within driving distance. You can search online, or even in the good old fashioned yellow pages if you still get an actual phone book.

There are several ridding stables about 30 minutes away but I was hoping to find a place close by where I could train with my own horse since I don't have a horse trailer.

There are several ridding stables about 30 minutes away but I was hoping to find a place close by where I could train with my own horse since I don't have a horse trailer.

With her history, she's already trained. What you "have right now is a failure to communicate". VERY common problem, it happens everywhere to everyone. Doesn't matter the species, if humans are involved, there is a problem communicating.

So, IMO- the next thing you need to do is get lessons. Personallly I think a school horse is best for a bit until you can start understanding her. Poor school horses are used to wrong commands, etc.

Good luck and I hope the joy you get with her only increases!

I agree with everyone else here, lessons would be the next best option. Horses are extremely smart and pay very close attention to your feelings/emotions when you are on them. They know where you are looking, the know if you feel nervous, want to go faster, not go faster...unfortunately they are also smart enough to know that if they do a certain behavior that makes you scared, it can mean the sooner they get to get back to eating. Older horses are masters of this. A trainer can help you get the confidence to know when they are seeing how much you will put up with.

Last edited:
A little too late, but it was very irresponsible for your parents to just plop you on any horse without ensuring you had proper training.

What you need now is lessons, and lots of them. Either with a trainer going to you and your horse, or you going to the trainer and learning on his or her horses. And gaining experience will not happen overnight.

In fact, the best thing to do would be to sell that mare and keep on with lessons. Once you are no longer a beginner and know what you are doing, purchase a horse that meets your skill level. And when you purchase that horse, bring along the person who has given you your lessons to make sure the horse is suitable for you and sound.

That is my advise. Take it or leave it. Knowing most people, they ignore advise that isn't rainbows, butterflies, and happiness. Too bad, since reality is never so fluffy and sweet.

You are in a dangerous situation, and you don't have the experience to understand that. Sure, owning a horse is cool, and probably every kid's dream. But it isn't a walk in the park. Putting a beginner on a horse not meant for a beginner is practically begging for a serious injury.

I am guessing your parents don't know anything about horses, other than the fact they look pretty and go neigh?

You are in a dangerous situation, and you don't have the experience to understand that. Sure, owning a horse is cool, and probably every kid's dream. But it isn't a walk in the park. Putting a beginner on a horse not meant for a beginner is practically begging for a serious injury.

I am guessing your parents don't know anything about horses, other than the fact they look pretty and go neigh?
Just a bit to add on to this, if you do get another horse, try getting a gelding vs a mare. I know I know, there are some great mares out there but I have yet to own one that I've gotten along with. They can be so temperamental and moody, gah!

Back
Top Bottom