Horse misbehaves

I forgot to mention that after her jumping career she was a school horse. She is not dangerously bad she just has learned a few minor bad habits from the horse I was fostering. I was just wondering how to fix those bad habits such as the throwing of the head.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that after her jumping career she was a school horse. She is not dangerously bad she just has learned a few minor bad habits from the horse I was fostering. I was just wondering how to fix those bad habits.

The problem is, with horses those "minor bad habits" often are (or have the potential to quickly become) dangerously bad. As an inexperienced rider/handler, you are a recipe for disaster with a horse showing issues of respect. Being able to control the horse is absolutely key for your safety and for her's. The fact that she was a school horse just means she has had plenty of opportunity to pick up all sorts of tricks of the trade for putting new riders through their paces...which is why having the assistance of someone who can provide hands/eyes on evaluation of the situation and appropriate direction to correct the issues is so important.

The problem is, with horses those "minor bad habits" often are (or have the potential to quickly become) dangerously bad.  As an inexperienced rider/handler, you are a recipe for disaster with a horse showing issues of respect.  Being able to control the horse is absolutely key for your safety and for her's.  The fact that she was a school horse just means she has had plenty of opportunity to pick up all sorts of tricks of the trade for putting new riders through their paces...which is why having the assistance of someone who can provide hands/eyes on evaluation of the situation and appropriate direction to correct the issues is so important.

I'll get lessons this summer. I haven't been riding her lately and i won't be riding until I can get some lessons. Thanks for all the advice from everyone .

Last edited:
I found a local trainer. We will have to see how that goes. I just hope she doesn't work my old mare to hard. Should I condsider my twenty-one year old horse fragile? Part of the problem is I'm very gentle with her since I don't want to hurt her but then that allows her to push me around.

21 is not fragile. Our lesson horses are still going at 25, 26 and 28!
I have a close friend that is still trail riding and showing hers at 26 and I remember seeing a 30 year old winning some speed classes at a fun show.

Last edited:
21 is not fragile at all. Horses are just like people, the more activity they do, the better shape they stay in and the healthier they are.

I agree 21 is not "fragile". But, this mare has had a pretty demanding career, if she truly was a "national level" show jumper, and then a school/lesson horse. You will need to monitor her closely for lameness and arthritic issues. If your trainer is a good trainer, she will also be aware of those possible issues.

The mare might require more expensive and/or invasive joint supplements, treatments or injections. She might also require more warm-up and cool-down time to keep her from getting stiff and sore. You might want to research wrapping her legs, or using boots, to give her more support when ridden.

If she hadn't been a show jumper, and had instead been a pleasure horse, or even a rail show horse, I wouldn't be as concerned about her joints being damaged...

I agree 21 is not "fragile". But, this mare has had a pretty demanding career, if she truly was a "national level" show jumper, and then a school/lesson horse. You will need to monitor her closely for lameness and arthritic issues. If your trainer is a good trainer, she will also be aware of those possible issues.

The mare might require more expensive and/or invasive joint supplements, treatments or injections. She might also require more warm-up and cool-down time to keep her from getting stiff and sore. You might want to research wrapping her legs, or using boots, to give her more support when ridden.

If she hadn't been a show jumper, and had instead been a pleasure horse, or even a rail show horse, I wouldn't be as concerned about her joints being damaged...

I know for sure she was a jumping horse at a national level because I've been given her papers and apparently they noted that in Quarter horse association registration records and stuff. There has been joint damage according to my vet and she's on one of the best feeds and she's got boots and joint supplements for senior horses. I've done everything I can think of to prevent further damage but I'm just worried she might injure her self in training. The trainer got pretty physical and brutal with her. It got hard to watch but I'm sure it's just my gentle side and it really wasn't that bad in reality. She learned a lot though and she stopped rearing after an hour of the "respect" stuff. She seems more calm and respecting of my space on the ground now. It just made me feel a bit worried when after the training was over we let her go in the field and she ran off as if she was afraid. Is that normal or as this trainer been to rough with her? Thanks again!

Her taking off when released in the field isn't too unusual for horse behavior, but it can definitely be dangerous if you are not alert, and don't release her properly. She needs to go away when YOU say go away. She doesn't get to rip her head out of her halter and kick at you when she is released....

I am glad that you are working with a trainer. Yes, some trainers are not that great, and it can be hard for a beginner to know what is right and wrong. Even trainers that have been training for 40 years can still suck, so don't use age as determining factor.

One thing to also remember is that just because she respects your trainer DOES NOT mean she will respect YOU. Make sure that you are getting in the pen and working with her also. Understand what you are asking her to do, and what your body language is telling her. You can get wicked mean with a horse and gain it's respect with just your body and your voice, no whip needed....

Back
Top Bottom