Horse Talk

Does anyone know if Mustad Thrush Killer is a good disinfectant for humans' superficial wounds? I had an abrasion on my leg weeks ago and not having anything else handy at the moment I used Thrush Killer. It seemed to work great, drying out the wound and preventing infection. I am tempted to use it again in lieu of iodine or alcohol when I get hurt again (I am accident prone). It stings considerably more than other disinfectants, and stains skin and everything else. But it works. Only I don't know if it is safe for humans.

While Mustad's Thrush Buster does contain iodine, it also contains formalin, which is a pretty nasty substance, especially for humans. The toxicity discussions I've seen had to do with inhalation and ingestion, but I don't reckon it's any too good for you being absorbed through raw tissue, either. Probably not a good idea to use it on yourself.

Does anyone know if Mustad Thrush Killer is a good disinfectant for humans' superficial wounds? I had an abrasion on my leg weeks ago and not having anything else handy at the moment I used Thrush Killer. It seemed to work great, drying out the wound and preventing infection. I am tempted to use it again in lieu of iodine or alcohol when I get hurt again (I am accident prone). It stings considerably more than other disinfectants, and stains skin and everything else. But it works. Only I don't know if it is safe for humans.

Honestly, I would say that's a question for your vet. I know my vet will tell me what medications to avoid getting on me, which ones are ok to taste (she taste tests all of the safe medications so that she knows if they are likely to upset a picky eater), etc.

But, since Thrush isn't an infection, rather a fungal issue, I would say it probably isn't the right product to try.

While Mustad's Thrush Buster does contain iodine, it also contains formalin, which is a pretty nasty substance, especially for humans. The toxicity discussions I've seen had to do with inhalation and ingestion, but I don't reckon it's any too good for you being absorbed through raw tissue, either. Probably not a good idea to use it on yourself.
Thank you

Honestly, I would say that's a question for your vet. I know my vet will tell me what medications to avoid getting on me, which ones are ok to taste (she taste tests all of the safe medications so that she knows if they are likely to upset a picky eater), etc.

But, since Thrush isn't an infection, rather a fungal issue, I would say it probably isn't the right product to try.
Thanks

But, since Thrush isn't an infection, rather a fungal issue,

Actually, thrush is an infection, which may be bacterial or fungal in nature. Most of the products used to treat it have both antibacterial and fungicidal properties.

And while a vet might be familiar with the action of medications they prescribe, they might not be familiar with every OTC product out there, especially with things like Thrush Buster, which has several active ingredients.

Last edited:
Actually, thrush is an infection, which may be bacterial or fungal in nature. Most of the products used to treat it have both antibacterial and fungicidal properties.

And while a vet might be familiar with the action of medications they prescribe, they might not be familiar with every OTC product out there, especially with things like Thrush Buster, which has several active ingredients.
You're right. Probably the safer option would be to just use bleach if you have to use something like that. Apparently a mild bleach solution is good for thrush too.

Bleach is not good to use!!! It will kill healthy tissue along with the fungus/bacteria, etc.
You use a 1:10 solution of bleach to water and don't soak it, just squirt it in like you would coppertox. I have had bleach on my skin and in cuts at this solution or stronger with no ill effects other than some stinging when it gets in the cuts.

Sorry I am usually on my phone but am on my laptop today so I just noticed your signature but.... you have 6 horses!? what are the others? I think I've only heard of stud and wings?? maybe I just have a bad memory :lau

Back
Top Bottom