Horse Talk

They weren't fenced next to each other, he would have had to get out of his pasture, go through the yard and around the barn, and get her through the fence, it seems VERY unlikely to me, but I guess where there's a will there's a way. I'll find out Monday.
And it's only on one teat because I squeezed it just a tiny bit to see if they were just swollen or if they were full of something.
And the stud horse is actually pretty great, he's also a registered quarter horse, built like a total hoss, and he's got a fantastic personality, so if by some miracle she is pregnant, it would probably be a pretty good baby.
June's just a little young still

Just a few thoughts . . . .

That's an awful lot of udder development for a non-pregnant mare. Actually, it's a lot of development for a maiden mare that can't be more than 9 months along, too. Is this a recent (like, the last few days) development? There are medical conditions that can cause edema in the udder of a non-pregnant mare; either way, it needs to be checked out.

Mares can be pretty brazen about making themselves available to the boys when they are in season. But whether he was getting to her, or she was getting to him, I think it pretty unlikely that they'd get together for a brief tryst, then go back where they belong before anybody noticed. It seems much more likely to me that someone would catch them together.

Shortly after I bought Latte, everyone who saw her thought she was pregnant; she and Sunny had shared a fence line with a stallion for a few months. I never really thought it likely, but I finally bought a Wee Foal urine test to see - she wasn't. But then, she didn't have any udder development, either . . . just a full-figured mare with a hay/grass belly.

I just noticed it today, since it's been so hot I haven't been riding, and when I'm not riding, I just look out in the pasture, if everyone's walking around eating I don't put much more thought than that into checking them over, as long as I can see they're alive, hungry, and not limping or anything. I just happened to notice this today because she went "missing" and I did a quick full body check to make sure she wasn't hurt since it's weird for her to be away from the other horses and that's when I noticed it

The 600 people who commented on my Facebook post all wanted to see more pictures today, so since I took some I'll share with you guys too.
I thought the mystery was solved because the swelling has gone down, but apperantly everyone still thinks she's pregnant and they all say that she will bag up in the evening and it'll go down in the morning so.. idk. I still think she's just fat and maybe had some crazy hormones or bug bites. But I'll know something either way tomorrow.
temporary.jpg
temporary.jpg
Snapseed.jpg

Hmm. I'm halfway tempted to post a similar series of pics of Latte and see if anyone can tell the difference.
smiley_emoticons_ostern_slash.gif

Don't you have some pictures from some time back of June looking all round with a grass belly?

Back
Top Bottom