Horse Talk

Oh probably lol she's usually pretty fat so I'm not convinced she's pregnant, just seems too unlikely. The vet will be out today to tell me what's really going on with my weirdo horse

Sorry I am usually on my phone but am on my laptop today so I just noticed your signature but.... you have 6 horses!? what are the others? I think I've only heard of stud and wings?? maybe I just have a bad memory
upload_2017-7-17_9-20-51.gif

Lol, you asked for it....

Wings is my white grey (I refer to him like that because he's not dappled or noticeably flea-bitten) Arabian Gelding and my first horse, I've had him for 17 years now... I think he's 27 this year.

Thunder was my old cranky Appaloosa, we got him when he was 16 (we think), but he was gelded and given to the 4-H at 10, before that he was a breeding stallion, he was over 30 when he developed bone cancer in his jaw and had to be put down.

Lolli is "moms horse", we got him for her, he's a 14.1 hand bay polish Arabian that tries his best to be a bouncy ball. Mom attempted to ride him once, got almost 5 feet from the mounting block before he dumped her... I have ridden him everywhere. Fun fact, his canter is so rhythmic that if you canter him on pavement, it sounds like the cast of a Monty Python film is doing your sound effects...

Doodle was an old Standardbred I was given, he pulled a sulky and was kind of rideable, if you liked swerving around like a drunk driver... I gave intermediate lessons on him (not really suited for a beginner because his gas pedal was REALLY good) because he made them learn to steer... You couldn't just leave him alone or you would be all over the ring in about 2 seconds. I had to put him down a few years ago due to him going down and not even being able to get up when we lifted him up onto his feet, he wouldn’t straighten his legs and was head pressing against the ground and the wall behind him.

Splash is a half Arab/Paint that looks all Paint and QH but acts all Arab.. lol, he's a fruitcake and can founder on hay in the winter if you put him in with friendly horses, I keep him in my more aggressive herd and they chase him around and don't let him near the hay for most of the day. I free lease him to a friend of mine due to him being a clown and needing TONS of attention that I just don't have time to give him (even if he was my only horse). His nicknames are Fattie and Bubbles.

Pippin is my silver dapple Mini, I got him on a trade when I got rid of Stud's mama. He drives and tries to boss around the big horses, he actually has Splash scared of him… Mostly he’s just a pasture ornament. Lolli thinks he is Pippin’s mother for some reason, even though they are the same age and Lolli is a gelding. He won’t let Pippin out of his sight and screams like a mare when you take her foal away if you separate them… Weird horse…

Stud is my white TWH cross stallion, I got him and his mama from a lady that dad knew that couldn’t keep them anymore. He was a little brat when I got him… He had learned that he could scare people by charging and kicking at them… It took me about 2 weeks to get him civilized enough that he actually led and wouldn’t try to run people over or kick at them, took about 6 months to get him over biting (yearling stud colt, goes with the territory) and he still doesn’t get treats, he’s fine when you give him the first one, but once you have given him 2, he starts looking for them and will mug you, so he just doesn’t get any, he loves a good neck scratch so that’s what he gets instead of food. He is trained to lay down, but I need to work on it some more to get him a little more willing. I can get him down, but it takes a little work and sweat. He’s a total doll that lives with the boys outside and has never had a chain over his nose his entire life.

Papi is a bay and white TWH gelding, he was given to me by an older friend that is in her 70’s now and can’t afford to ride anything that isn’t completely dead broke. She went to West Virginia and fell in love with the pretty colt and wanted to turn him in a flashy trail horse or flatshod trail racking horse. She put him through 60 days training and from what I’ve heard from her, he did great, but then he just blew up out of nowhere and tried to buck the guy off, he didn’t get him off, but he hurt him pretty bad in the explosion and the guy told her that there was really no warning that he was going to do that so he recommended that she not try to ride him. I have gotten bucked off of him a few times and have toyed with the idea of sending him for training again, but since there is a good chance it won’t work, I don’t really have the money to gamble on it. So, he’s a spoiled rotten pasture ornament that loves having his ears scratched. He only costs me about $250 a year to keep him, so he has a home for life even if I never try to swing a leg over him again.

So my post in the horse group has like 800 comments now, everyone swears June is pregnant. I don't think so. It would have to of been under really particular circumstances. So here's some pictures from today, what do you guys think?
Miracle pregnancy? Or coincidental combination of udder bug bites, overheated, and needing to be on a diet?
She has hung out in the shed all day everyday for the past 3 days but she's still eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom. She has been walking kind of slow. Swelling has gone mostly down in her udder.
*vet couldn't make it today and will be out tomorrow at 3:30
IMG_7180.JPG
IMG_7183.JPG

Yeah, like, someone put her in with the stud or turned him loose with her, and then put them back where they belong and told no one.
Yeah, and I don't think my cousin would have done that. I mean, she did move out and never talked to me again lol, but she was a snob about her horses and I doubt she would've thought June was even good enough for her stud. I don't think she's prego, but something weird is going on with her, she's not being herself so I'm still having the vet out

Distended abdomen could be so many things from cushings to heavy parasite load to a symptom of cribbing. Best to just have a good vet take a look at her and run a blood panel.

Distended abdomen could be so many things from cushings to heavy parasite load to a symptom of cribbing. Best to just have a good vet take a look at her and run a blood panel.
I was kinda thinking she's just fat, the udder had me concerned but it's almost back to normal now. I was worried she had an infection or mastitis. But yeah still gonna have the vet just check up on everything just in case. I feel like I'm going to be spending $60+ to find out that she needs to be on a diet

She is standing pretty squarely and does look distended to me but here's hoping she just needs a Jenny Craig membership. :thumbsup

If she has a normal temp mastitis or infection is unlikely.

I was kinda thinking she's just fat, the udder had me concerned but it's almost back to normal now. I was worried she had an infection or mastitis. But yeah still gonna have the vet just check up on everything just in case. I feel like I'm going to be spending $60+ to find out that she needs to be on a diet

Good news is she's definitely not pregnant. No signs of mastitis or infections. No suspicious looking bug bites. He said it most likely was an allergic reaction to something and the last little bit of swelling should go down in a day or two. She's completely healthy, just needs to go on a diet.
Bad news is I'm $80 poorer

Back
Top Bottom