Horse Talk

So guys, back to the reason this thread was started. Breeding June. I still want to.
She’s my only horse now, which i love tbh, but i know she doesn’t love it, and i definitely wouldn’t be mad about having two horses, and this summer I’ll be at my own place (fiiiiiinally :wee)
And i debated and debated (mustang or baby.. mustang or baby...) and i would still like to breed June.
But i have evolved since the beginning of this thread lol. First and foremost, we got a one baby limit. One baby, just for me to keep, that’s it.
Second, no mix breeding. Only AQHA studs.
Third. No crappy stallions, we gotta have 5 panel negative, good build, flashy color, awesome personality, and at least a decent amount of training, doesn’t have to be a show horse since I’m not doing anything fancy.
Lastly, much to my disappointment, i won’t be using HF mobster because 1. I’m not spending $3k on a stud fee alone and 2. Id feel like i was wasting a good horse if i used one of his babies as only a trail horse haha.
So anyways, i do wanna have a little June baby for myself, this summer or next depending on my financial situation, and i think this is the stud I’ve settled on. What do y’all think?
*no opinions on if i should or shouldn’t breed thanks*
A278EDF8-6837-44A8-97F1-4E8C2B3B38C6.jpeg

54A3738E-5C95-49F3-A667-7C7C7C0FBDD9.jpeg

And my cousin pointed out one time (because i love reining horses and we were looking at stallions together) that you don’t see many palomino reining and cow horses because people breed away from it because they think they’re ugly and not flashy :barnie
I’m like have people not ever seen that shiny golden fur and beautiful blonde tail?!
Whaaaaaaat! They're gorgeous! Especially in the summer when they've lost their winter coat. :drool I haven't actually seen my boy in the summer tho because we just got him in November. I'm so excited to see him when he's even more gorgeouser ;).

Yes, store milk is pasteurized. It is actually illegal to sell unpasteurized milk (I believe country wide but could be wrong, I know it is here and think it's a federal thing). I would not buy unpasteurized milk from a mass producer but from a home raised cow that you know is healthy it's no problem. When you are milking hundreds to thousands of cows 2 times a day, one can get mastitis in one quarter (a cow's udder is devided into 4 parts that do not mix) and then the milking machine milks her out and puts all of that puss into the milk tank. Pasturizing kills anything like that in the milk and makes it safe. If you are hand milking, you take the first few squirts from each quarter and milk them into a small cup where you swirl it around and check for strange colors or chunks, if you see anything like that in 1 quarter, you milk out the other 3 quarters into your bucket and the suspicious one onto the floor or into a different bucket that will be dumped. It's just a lot harder to have the personal touch with every quarter of every cow in the herd when you're using machines and just hooking them up and running.

Bucking bulls are bred to buck like that, they actually love doing it. Most of them are perfectly safe to handle and usually the really mean ones are removed from the program because they are just too dangerous to be in the ring with. Every now and then you'll get a really rank bull that tries to chase people down and kill them, but most of them once the rider is off, they just head back out of the ring.

The only thing making the bulls buck is the rider on their back, the flank string is just irritating, it doesn't hurt them, doesn't touch or damage any of their male parts (common misconception) and really isn't tied all that tight. The worst thing for them is the riders spurs, but a cow's hide is TOUGH and these big boys aren't damaged in any way by the spurs, it probably hurts like a fly bite, but it's not PAINFUL or damaging.

Most bucking bulls can be rubbed on and almost cuddled, they are treated like royalty and a good bucking bull is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and their stud fees are worth millions sometimes... They really aren't going to do anything to hurt those bulls.

I don't particularly like calf roping or saddle bronk, but those are the only rodeo events I think are at all mean.

Yeah, unpasteurized is illegal here too.

Thanks for all the info on the milk. I'll have to find a local farm then. Though I never would have gotten raw milk from a huge dairy anyway.

They still seem to think it's unsafe though. Cause I was reading raw unpasteurized milk and butter etc. Was good for you and they were like no ha

Also ewww puss in it is disgusting. My friend actually told me that once a while ago but i didnt think it was true and/or thought maybe it was some PETA/vegan lie. But that is disgusting. Makes me not want to drink milk anymore lol

Also doesn't that have to be treated??

And thanks for the info on the bulls. You're so knowledgeable about so much haha

I hadn't realized they were worth so much but it makes sense.

And I must admit that I am one of those who believed that misconception that it was tied around their male parts.

I also didn't realize they wore spurs but makes sense.

I actually found this page too which really helped. I had no idea they had such strict regulations for their care and transport and everything. And that they only buck once a day?

http://www.pbr.com/en/bulls/animal-welfare.aspx

Although they apparently do breed really tough bucking bulls, almost too tough imo based on some parts of this article.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/07/16/rodeo-bulls-better-bred-through-science-to-buck-riders/

And on Wikipedia I thought this stat was interesting.

"The percent of top professional riders staying on the bull for a full eight second "out" has dropped from 75% in the early 1990s to 35% circa 2014. This has led to criticism that the breeding has resulted in excessively aggressive and dangerous animals."

And it confirms what I've noticed even just as a casual watcher compared to some tapes i got years ago: it seems a lot harder to stay on the full 8 seconds now, almost impossible even.

Which I'm not sure is really fair. I mean they say fans love crazy, wild rides, and yeah, it's fun, and I mean, I guess you have to be a REALLY good athlete to stay on, but at the same time, I am sure I am in the minority when I say that I don't think it's very fun when NO rider can stay on. It's boring when they all get bucked off.

Ahh. The cream is the best part. I can’t wait lol.
And yep, second that, steers = fat, bulls = muscle

If you wanna get technical we shouldn’t be drinking milk at all lol it’s pretty bad for ya, but it tastes good. And it makes cheese. Ya win some ya lose some.
But yeah if you’re just buying from an individual with a nice healthy family milk cow, unpasteurized isn’t anything to worry about

That's true. Other animals don't drink milk past infancy let alone another species milk lol but I've read recently that milk and butter and other animal fats/products are pretty good for you. At least the raw, unpasteurized ones. Which i can believe. I don't think store ones are as good. And I still wouldn't eat it as much as they recommended but ya.

And thanks, thats good to know. Still nervous though lol

So guys, back to the reason this thread was started. Breeding June. I still want to.
She’s my only horse now, which i love tbh, but i know she doesn’t love it, and i definitely wouldn’t be mad about having two horses, and this summer I’ll be at my own place (fiiiiiinally :wee)
And i debated and debated (mustang or baby.. mustang or baby...) and i would still like to breed June.
But i have evolved since the beginning of this thread lol. First and foremost, we got a one baby limit. One baby, just for me to keep, that’s it.
Second, no mix breeding. Only AQHA studs.
Third. No crappy stallions, we gotta have 5 panel negative, good build, flashy color, awesome personality, and at least a decent amount of training, doesn’t have to be a show horse since I’m not doing anything fancy.
Lastly, much to my disappointment, i won’t be using HF mobster because 1. I’m not spending $3k on a stud fee alone and 2. Id feel like i was wasting a good horse if i used one of his babies as only a trail horse haha.
So anyways, i do wanna have a little June baby for myself, this summer or next depending on my financial situation, and i think this is the stud I’ve settled on. What do y’all think?
*no opinions on if i should or shouldn’t breed thanks*
View attachment 1231983
View attachment 1231982

Ps that stallion is not stood to the public so I’ll have to talk his owner into letting me use him :lau

Oooohhhh he's handsome. Although is he fat or is that just the angle? Haha also completely random and nothing to do with the stud and i may be reading it wrong but why did they breed a 28 year old horse? And does that thing say a one year old too?

But I think he's a very handsome stud and would be fine.

Though I do like mobster still :D

I don't think it would be wasted, plenty of great stallions have pet offspring.

Although maybe you could find a trail horse stallion or line of horses?

And this is slightly random but what are your thoughts on bull riding? It's been on TV a lot lately so I've been watching it, though I've watched it before. It seems kind of mean to me though now but then again, idk. Also wouldn't the bulls be really mean? Or do they calm down once they get that thing off? I just don't get how you'd handle a bull like that
No problem with it from me. They are born and bred to do it and they're athletes. They love it. It's like a good hunting dog. Or a jumper. They'll do it til they die and then some. I didn't ever have to make my gelding jump. He lived for it. Those bulls live for it too.

Every single one is extremely valuable and well cared for. They don't tend to be overly aggressive on the ground, they're very used to people because they travel a lot. They know the time to work, and buck, and be wild and they know when not to.

I actually saw one die at the last PBR I went to though. He literally bucked so hard he wrecked his back and went down. He was alive when they took him out, but he was put to sleep from his injuries.

No problem with it from me. They are born and bred to do it and they're athletes. They love it. It's like a good hunting dog. Or a jumper. They'll do it til they die and then some. I didn't ever have to make my gelding jump. He lived for it. Those bulls live for it too.

Every single one is extremely valuable and well cared for. They don't tend to be overly aggressive on the ground, they're very used to people because they travel a lot. They know the time to work, and buck, and be wild and they know when not to.

I actually saw one die at the last PBR I went to though. He literally bucked so hard he wrecked his back and went down. He was alive when they took him out, but he was put to sleep from his injuries.

That makes sense. I never thought of it like that. But surely they don't like the rider? And they don't buck in the field, do they?

I didn't think of them having to travel and be around people. Makes sense they'd be more friendly. I guess an aggressive bull would be dangerous.

Wow that's sad. :(

See, that kind of goes with what I've been thinking/reading: I think they're starting to make the bulls a little bit TOO crazy. They shouldn't be injuring or killing themselves bucking.

The only thing making the bulls buck is the rider on their back, the flank string is just irritating, it doesn't hurt them, doesn't touch or damage any of their male parts (common misconception) and really isn't tied all that tight. The worst thing for them is the riders spurs, but a cow's hide is TOUGH and these big boys aren't damaged in any way by the spurs, it probably hurts like a fly bite,
That part is incorrect. It does run across their manhood. But yes its not tight or damaging. Not like a slip knot around their testicals or anything.
facts03.jpg
facts02.jpg
facts01.jpg

Natural instincts make the bull want to get the rider off their backs.
Selective breeding makes them want to buck instead of just bolting. It also gives them the athleticism to buck hard.
The flank strap makes them buck harder and higher with their back legs.
Experience gives them the knowledge on what moves work the best to throw the rider.

That part is incorrect. It does run across their manhood. But yes its not tight or damaging. Not like a slip knot around their testicals or anything.
View attachment 1232136 View attachment 1232137 View attachment 1232139
Natural instincts make the bull want to get the rider off their backs.
Selective breeding makes them want to buck instead of just bolting. It also gives them the athleticism to buck hard.
The flank strap makes them buck harder and higher with their back legs.
Experience gives them the knowledge on what moves work the best to throw the rider.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't realize they could just bolt. So it's in their DNA?

And the part about what moves work best, is that genetic too? Because I was reading that certain lines or studs produce certain specific bucking patterns

Thanks for all the info! I didn't realize they could just bolt. So it's in their DNA?

And the part about what moves work best, is that genetic too? Because I was reading that certain lines or studs produce certain specific bucking patterns
If you went out in some farmer's field and jumped on his bull, likely he would either stand there or run away, most "normal" bulls wouldn't immediately start bucking like crazy.
The bucking patterns is probably like having left handed parents makes you more likely to be left handed, but to a greater extent. Different body types develop different muscling, so the exact same move from 1 bull may not unseat a rider due to his build and muscling but another bull may be able to get the rider off every time with minimal effort. They figure out what works best for them and that is likely tied to body type which is a genetic trait.

If you went out in some farmer's field and jumped on his bull, likely he would either stand there or run away, most "normal" bulls wouldn't immediately start bucking like crazy.
The bucking patterns is probably like having left handed parents makes you more likely to be left handed, but to a greater extent. Different body types develop different muscling, so the exact same move from 1 bull may not unseat a rider due to his build and muscling but another bull may be able to get the rider off every time with minimal effort. They figure out what works best for them and that is likely tied to body type which is a genetic trait.

Thanks, that makes sense!!

Okay, so stupid question, if you jumped on a bucking bull in the field, would he start bucking? Or only with the flank string and/or in the ring?

Back
Top Bottom