Horse Talk

I've had a rough journey with horses. Some not so great experiences mixed in with amazing memories. I'll start at the very beginning...

It started when we moved to the farm in 2009. We wanted horses, especially me. You can't have a farm without horses right? But to start off with, I needed some riding lessons.

There was a horse available for lease at the stable I rode at, so we agreed to take him. I admit we did kind of rush into things, throughout this journey we were prone to doing that. His name was Arizona, and he was a dun Connemara, about 14hh and 15 years old. He was very headstrong and unpredictable, so not really a suitable first pony. But I loved and spoiled him, and took him to some dressage competitions once I was a more competent rider. And he did well. However, I got bucked off one too many times, so in the end we made the decision to cancel the lease. I was a little heartbroken at the time, but I had entered a phase of being scared stiff of riding after my last fall. So I literally couldn't ride him anyway, even the thought would make me want to cry. This was in 2011.

October, Nov 1010 526.JPG

Above - Arizona (back) with one of the other horses at the stable.

After a short break, I decided I wanted to try again. This was towards the end of 2011. We decided we wanted to give stabling on our own property a try. There was a lady near us who owned a stud farm, and she was wanting to give away one of her ponies to a good home. Again, we immediately accepted, without much thought. You can't turn down a free horse now, can you? So Tuscany came home. She was a 14.2hh Bay mare. We weren't sure of her breed, but we knew she was around 16 years old at the time. All went well for the first few weeks, until she began to show signs of depression. She was almost impossible to ride. You couldn't make her take a few steps before she'd stop and refuse to go forward. If she was having a good day, you could have a decent ride on her, except your legs would get a big workout having to squeeze her on the entire time. Despite all this, I loved her to bits. It was then that we decided to buy a companion for her. Lucky for us, there was another 'freebie' available at that time. A 13hh Chestnut, unsure of breed, who we learned (only after we took him) was almost 30 years old. His name was Crest, and even though he had a sway back and we hadn't thought it through properly, again, we brought him home. Crest was a character, I'll give him that. But he was a nightmare in almost everything else. Not knowing how old he was at the time, I tried to ride him almost everyday. You couldn't put any pressure on the reigns at all without him throwing his head up, and you'd get a bucking canter, which I actually kind of enjoyed, out of him if you squeezed him a little too hard.

IMG-20130114-00039.jpg

Above - Tuscany

IMG-20120722-00048.jpg

Above - Tuscany (right) and Crest (left)

Long story shorter, Crest didn't end up working out for us, and we had to let him go back to his previous owner. Now we needed another companion for Tuscany, so we adopted a grey 13hh mare from a shelter near us. She was about 11 years old, and her name was Pepper Moon. She was a firecracker, full of personality. I think she was the one pony we made the right decision to take. Ok, she wasn't perfect, but it's very difficult or impossible to find a horse who is, especially in our limited price range. She would occasionally stop suddenly in the canter, sending me right over her head if I didn't anticipate her. But other than that she was a darling, and really didn't give us much trouble. However, it was at this time that we started to wonder if we were in way over our heads.

IMG-20121207-00493.jpg

Above - Tuscany and Pepper Moon grazing in our garden.

In 2013, after giving it some time, effort, patience and lots of money, we decided we couldn't do this anymore. Our farm was entirely wrong for horses. We live on a hill, so pretty much all their grazing was on a slope, and we had to bring them into our garden to ride, as it was the only flat area big enough on our whole property. Our farm isn't very large and most of our land is forest. It was very sad to see Tuscany and Pepper Moon go. Even though it had been a bumpy road, I wanted to try harder to make it work. But it wasn't fair to the horses. They needed a home where they would have proper grazing, stabling and care. So that chapter in my life closed...for a while.

A part of me has always wanted to give it another try. Ever since that day we decided to let Tuscany and Pepper Moon go. I forgot about horses for a little while, until December last year. I suddenly felt a burning desire to own a horse again. Even to just ride again. So I started taking lessons at a fabulous stable just 10 minutes from where we live. And they helped me to find a horse, perfectly suited to me this time. Her name is Poise, and she is a 4 year old 16hh Thoroughbred off the track. Liver Chestnut. We adopted her from the same shelter we adopted Pepper Moon from. When I heard how young she was, I was skeptical to go and try her out. But I'm so glad I did in the end. We have such a special connection, and I feel so safe riding her. We signed her up for a training program before I started working with her myself, just to ensure she was safe for me, and properly trained. Now I'm almost ready to start competing, and I can't wait. I must add, we are stabling her at the stable I take lessons at. We weren't about to make the same mistake of thinking our farm is the perfect fit for a horse.

So this story has a happy ending after all. It took lots of lessons, heartbreak and regrets, but I eventually found my dream horse. I still can't believe I did.

16387436_399234380427889_8842473269242188621_n.jpg

Above - Poise at the place we stable her at.

~Hannah

Last edited:
Welcome to gthe thread! :D

I can remember some very similar stories from when we first bought horses.... :lol: Our first two were a percheron/qh cross, who had been raised and trained by the DA!e person her whole life..... She was SO stubborn, but MAN did she have a funny personality - but personality wasn't something 8 and 9 y/o greenhorns needed for a first horse.
With her we got an AMAZING wh paint made. She was such a beauty to look at, for sure, but she needed a very experienced rider. And she needed a job doing what she loved - barrels. :lol: She was such an amazing horse, but it just really wasn't fair to her to sit on pasture. :/

After those two, all our horses have been free. We got an amazing gelding who would carry anybody anywhere, and his sister, Ginger, who we still have. I LOVE her so much. XD She smiles and gives hugs - for treats. ,:rolleyes:

Along with Gin we've got Smolke, my spooky little mustang/qh cross, and Armira, a 5 year old, totally greemn Arabian. -_- She's a Palin, "but she's so friendly! How could you want to give her back?!" Says mom. :barnie
1. She ain't THAT friendly.
2. I was content with Ginger and Smoke. I don't want to have THREE half trained horses out there! :oops:

And that is the story of all my horses. :p

Awe, @hannahsflock shes beautiful! I'm glad you ended up with your dream horse. I've had a rough time getting to a good place with horses too. When I was 5 (?) my parents bought me my first horse, but they're not horse people (or animal people at all) so they got me a green broke 4 year old gelding named Thunder, he was a good horse but spirited, he needed a real job, I stopped riding him after he kicked me, then bucked me off when I was 7 (?). I still loved horses and we decided to try another, so we brought home a skinny red roan green broke gelding, named Skittles, who I never actually got brave enough to ride, then when I joined 4h, they brought in a bunch of yearling mustangs for us to gentle, and we got to decide if we wanted to keep them or not, of course after gentling him I kept mine, a grey gelding named Outlaw, but he sat in the pasture for years because I didn't have the skill to train him.
IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

This is them, Outlaw, Thunder, Skittles (first picture).
Skittles ended up dying due to a leg injury and then I traded Thunder for a little green broke bay mare, named Gypsy, who was a total sweetheart but I was nervous to ride her because of my past experiences.
So eventually I decided I wanted to do what was right for the horses, and decided to sell them both so I could get a horse suited for my skill level. I sold Gypsy to a really nice lady who I think still has her, and I sold Outlaw to someone I thought was nice, who said she was going to train him and would send me updates and let me know if it didn't work out so I could buy him back. But instead she worked with him for two weeks (he was 7 with virtually no training) and got mad that he bucked when they tried to get on him (yeah, after two weeks) and she sold him without telling me, wouldn't tell me to who, and got really nasty with me when I tried to find out. So that's my biggest regret.
Anyways, then I bought a $2,500 AQHA registered cremello gelding, who had a lot of training on him, but he was a little much horse for me to handle, if someone got on and showed him who was boss he was amazing, but with me being timid he would try and get away with stuff, this is the only picture I have of him now, and I never named him lol
IMG_6996.JPG

SO, I sold him, lost some money, and then I decided I'd pick my next horse solely based off of the connection I felt with it (because I was missing that ever since I sold outlaw). So I looked at 12 horses, all very different, and finally ended up with June. Then I wanted to get her a companion so I got a really sweet mustang named Phoenix, who I only got rid of because he kept mounting June and injuring her
IMG_6997.JPG

This is Phoenix.
I traded him for another rescue, Penelope,
Here she is, before and after I rehabbed her. She was an ugly Missouri Fox Trotter lol.
IMG_7002.jpg

But, I did up selling her because we just weren't clicking.
So thennn I got this mare named Jade who I do not have pictures of (but there's some in the thread somewhere) and she was a big, sooty buckskin, registered mare with cutting training, and we HATED each other, I mean seriously, she was terrible lol. So I traded her for a black stud colt just to get her gone, then traded the stud colt for two sweet geldings, Reno and Indie. And then I bought Jasmine, so now I have 4 wonderful horses with no intention of selling any of them! Lol
IMG_5235.JPG
Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg
Snapseed.jpg
IMG_5959.JPG
IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6712.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG

Oh, and my connection with June is so good that I was actually brave enough to do all her training myself!

@abigalerose Wow, it seems like you've also had quite the roller coaster journey with horses :) They are absolutely gorgeous, I love all the photos.

Horses have always had a special place in my heart, and they always will. It's always special when you feel that connection.

@abigalerose Wow, it seems like you've also had quite the roller coaster journey with horses :) They are absolutely gorgeous, I love all the photos.

Horses have always had a special place in my heart, and they always will. It's always special when you feel that connection.
Oh yes lol, some people think I've had to many horses, but I can't stand keeping one that I don't have a connection with, maybe it's just because I haven't had a lot of actual riding experience idk, but I like to feel like I can completely trust the horse and that doesn't happen with every single one

Oh yes lol, some people think I've had to many horses, but I can't stand keeping one that I don't have a connection with, maybe it's just because I haven't had a lot of actual riding experience idk, but I like to feel like I can completely trust the horse and that doesn't happen with every single one

I understand that completely. Poise is the only horse I've ever truly felt a connection with, since this other horse at a different stable I rode at. She was a Chestnut too, but I wasn't sure of her breed. Her name was Phoenix. The owner promised me that she would be mine if she ever had to move away. Then one day she moved, and sent Phoenix to someone else. It was truly heartbreaking for me. I never thought I'd have a connection with another horse after that. Until I met Poise :)

Dude, our horse lives are so much the same. XD
But mom doesn't have a ton of horse training experience, and we don't have a saddle that's big enough for an adult (it is TINY....), so I still have to do a lot of the work with Mira. -_- And now mom wants to take her on walks down the trail. -_-
Lord help me. :th

I know, every time you talk about something I'm like wow this is my twin :lol:
And wait.. you ride in a tiny saddle? Haha.
I have more saddles than I have horses right now

Does anyone know if Mustad Thrush Killer is a good disinfectant for humans' superficial wounds? I had an abrasion on my leg weeks ago and not having anything else handy at the moment I used Thrush Killer. It seemed to work great, drying out the wound and preventing infection. I am tempted to use it again in lieu of iodine or alcohol when I get hurt again (I am accident prone). It stings considerably more than other disinfectants, and stains skin and everything else. But it works. Only I don't know if it is safe for humans.

Back
Top Bottom