Leslies photos Oct17-March18 985.jpg
Sept 6 2018 097.jpg
Cisco.
190.jpg
Hombre.
037.jpg
055.jpg

Last edited:
Very beautiful horses!! Say, is it hard to keep a horse? Is it hard to care for them and how expensive it is? What kind of people should not have a horse at home?
They are just expensive in the winter when you have to pay for hay. I love my horse!!! My horse (Freckle) is easy to care for! How many acres do you have?
Welcome to BYC!!

I have just the one horse of my own. Harry a 20 year old thoroughbred who has owned me for nearly 14 years now :D
We are happy hackers who don't do anything fancy as he enjoys the quiet life and always has done since he finished racing. He does like getting muddy though!

I know this was a couple of years ago but where did you get the chicken rug?! I need one!

Very beautiful horses!! Say, is it hard to keep a horse? Is it hard to care for them and how expensive it is? What kind of people should not have a horse at home?

I would say it’s not hard to keep a horse but you have to be prepared to be 100% committed. You can’t just think “I won’t bother today” For me it’s not hard as I totally love Harry just like a child. All the hard physical work in every kind of weather is worth it for the love & companionship.

Cost really does depend on your situation and the horse. For example my Harry is a thoroughbred ex racer so requires feeding all year round, full set of shoes & a rug for all weather occasion’s. I also don’t have the space to keep him at home so have to keep him at a livery yard.
My cost’s are (£1 = $1.30) ~
£120 - Livery per month.
£75 - Shoes every 6-8 weeks.
£50 - Hard feed per month.
£20 - Straw per month.
£45 - Hay/Haylage per month.
£40 - Dentist, once per year.
£50 - Vaccination, once per year.
£50 - Back physio, once per year.
Last year I also spent approx £600 on rugs and sundry items like fly spray, grooming items and general lotion & potions. But he’s worth every single hard earned £!

Back
Top Bottom