How about a Thread for Embdens?

I think it depends on breed, too. My Africans love the deep pond and stream, but my dewlaps prefer shallow kiddy pools.

Hi all!! New here :)
Somebody just gave me 4 Emden geese and I'm looking for information. I love them! I've been doing research. Can't find out for sure if I have to give them grit though? They're my very first geese :) I currently have 3 dogs, 8 cats and a bunch of pigeons.

Hi all!! New here :)
Somebody just gave me 4 Emden geese and I'm looking for information. I love them! I've been doing research. Can't find out for sure if I have to give them grit though? They're my very first geese :) I currently have 3 dogs, 8 cats and a bunch of pigeons.
If they are able to get to ground then probably not needed to give grit, unless you have snow on the ground and they can't get to the dirt small rocks etc. If allowed to be on the ground they are able to get their own grit. Congrats on your new geese and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the welcome!
I'll give them some of the chicken grit I give to my pigeons then. I'm feeding them a mix of corn and wheat for now...going to add barley next pay cheque :)
Will that be a good enough mix for the winter? they're too fat if you ask me, I think they need to slim down a bit, previous owner was way over feeding them.
I forgot..I also have a rabbit :)

I wish it was 21f here! Send the warm weather our way. None of my birds are happy about the winter we are having.

I bet they aren't either. Poor Sammy comes outside and immediately lays down on his feet, doesn't seem to bother Missy like it does him. My ducks don't like it when it gets below freezing either. I had to dump the pools till it gets back above freezing, then they can frolic some more. [I like to use ole timey words] bet you haven't heard frolic in a while, either that or I am going stir crazy sitting inside. or the paint fumes have gotten to me.
tongue.png
The English language is fun Miss Lydia and should be used. A lot of younger people would have no clue what the word meant. Gambol is another good one that makes people go HUH????

Thanks for the welcome!
I'll give them some of the chicken grit I give to my pigeons then. I'm feeding them a mix of corn and wheat for now...going to add barley next pay cheque :)
Will that be a good enough mix for the winter? they're too fat if you ask me, I think they need to slim down a bit, previous owner was way over feeding them.
I forgot..I also have a rabbit :)
I think it would be hard to get a balanced diet putting together grains on my own. so I use Purina Flock raiser and add to it extra grains. The grain I am using right now are whole oats . I am also giving them a small amt of whole corn a day. this they get tossed on the ground and split between 31 members of the flock. If your interested in making your own feed up then i would suggest you go to CelticOaks Farm and look at their website. also Cottage Rose mixes her own feed. Some use Mazuri water fowl feed, not available every where. I don't know what part of the country your in, but if it's very cold I'd be careful and not cut back the calories to fast. That extra fat will help them thru the winter months. Also Geese like to graze and can live pretty well on good quality grass with feed as a supplement but again in the Northern parts of our country there isn't much to graze right now. I have used wheat and also 7 way scratch grains but neither by it self is a complete feed. http://www.celticoaks.com/around-the-farm/feeding/

Last edited:
Okay, I kept my promise....

This is Sebastian, on your left, Angel is hiding her head and Angela or Angelo, not sure which, waiting for me to open the door.

This is right after the mad rush out the door. No pictures of that! You have Joshua acting leader, Angel following close behind, then Sebastian in the middle of the ducks and Dani up against the fence.

This is a better picture of Danielle. These poor babies are so in need of a bath! You can see the grey marking better in this photo. She's still a bit stand-offish but she's a good girl. I was trying to get a picture of Angel/Angelo and Angel up on the shelf/mezzanine we built for the Mallards to get up away from the Pekins. These 2 sillies have decided it's a great look out when they're in their house for the night. I was told they couldn't climb a ramp...right.

Wanted to add, the green pellets you can see are the timothy grass pellets I bought for them. sometimes interested, most times not.

Last edited:
The English language is fun Miss Lydia and should be used. A lot of younger people would have no clue what the word meant. Gambol is another good one that makes people go HUH????
I think I'll pass on the invite, although I'd love to come and visit and meet you and your flock in person but suppose to get into upper 50's here next week after we get through tonight, suppose to have freezing rain into tomorrow morning. Oh fun we'll all ice skate,.
big_smile.png

Okay, I kept my promise....

This is Sebastian, on your left, Angel is hiding her head and Angela or Angelo, not sure which, waiting for me to open the door.

This is right after the mad rush out the door. No pictures of that! You have Joshua acting leader, Angel following close behind, then Sebastian in the middle of the ducks and Dani up against the fence.

This is a better picture of Danielle. These poor babies are so in need of a bath! You can see the grey marking better in this photo. She's still a bit stand-offish but she's a good girl. I was trying to get a picture of Angel/Angelo and Angel up on the shelf/mezzanine we built for the Mallards to get up away from the Pekins. These 2 sillies have decided it's a great look out when they're in their house for the night. I was told they couldn't climb a ramp...right.
Nice pics, i really like the one where their looking out the window. So cute..

Back
Top Bottom