How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

Quote:
DITTO.

Now for a question - how do you feed the DE to your chickens if you are using mostly pelleted food with late afternoon supplements of fresh veggies from the garden, leftover food, sprouts, etc.? Will it actually "stick" onto the pellets so that the chickens ingest it or will it be wasted that way?

ONCE AGAIN.... DITTO. Good question.​

Last edited:
This thread has been cleaned of argumentative and trolling / flaming posts. Folks, there are ways to express opinions, or disagree with others' opinions, in a friendly and helpful tone.

In addition, as the last post by the OP indicates, she is interested in how much to use in feed, not whether to use it. Please stay on topic.

Quote:
Ok, I think I found the answer to whether it "sticks". I just got some and was surprised to find that it acts just like talcum powder and thus sticks to everything it touches. I would guess that the microscopically small sharp edges really help with that. So I think very little will fall off the pellets.

Last edited:
i mix 75 lbs of feed with 3 bean can fulls of DE and mix it throughly. they seem to lay better and it improves the healthiness of your birds, and their eggs are healthier and stonger and the yolks have a more depper yellow tint

Quote:
I didn't mean for it to go to this extent---my first and only initial question was how much to use and how much does it cost and weight wise how is it bought--sorry did not know it would start a snowball affect like this...???
hit.gif

Quote:
I didn't mean for it to go to this extent---my first and only initial question was how much to use and how much does it cost and weight wise how is it bought--sorry did not know it would start a snowball affect like this...???

No problem... you weren't the OP anyway. OP is the "original poster", in this case that's me.

Last edited:
I've used food grade DE for 5 years now. I used to put about the 2% ratio in their feed, but I no longer do that after hearing about some study that said intestines of hens that had been raised eating the stuff were unnaturally dessicated. I don't have a link to that, but it was an old member, Wes in TX, that told me about the study.

The way I use DE now is to put about a cup or two in each feed bag when I open it in order to kill any bugs that may find their way into the feed. It does coat the feed just fine. I lightly sprinkle it in the straw of each nest, periodically under the main roost, and occasionally on the birds themselves. I make sure that a broody, who sits for weeks on end in a nest, is dusted with DE, as is her nest. Never had lice or mites in this flock. The one rooster that came here with them was treated with DE during quarantine and it fixed the problem.

DE is not a cure-all, though to hear some talk, you'd think it was the latest cure for cancer or something. I don't count on it for worming, no matter what anyone says. I use it because I prefer not to use poisons around the birds for pest control. It has trace minerals that are supposedly good for the birds and it does dry out the poop under the roost--we all know a dry coop is a low odor coop.

With the three ways I use it I am assuming they are getting what they need to keep the mites and parasites under control. I use a dust box knowing they will prune themselves and ingest some when pruning. Then I sprinkle it on the litter and they pick at it. Then I keep it in a glass salt shaker with a cracker in it to absorb the moisture and shake it in the feeder when I turn the rotator in the feeder to make the feed come down. Just a small amount keeps their insides flowing well. As for a exact amount.....maybe I should pay closer attention.

Best of luck in your use. I seem to think I have found success with the way I am doing it but am always willing to learn about other amounts folks use.

Don't know if this will help anyone or not but I have been using this for approx. 2 1/2 years. I personally put a couple of tablespoons full of it in a glass of water every day and drink it. It has lowered my blood pressure and really did make my legs feel better. I am 62 years old and had awful leg pain and in a week or so I noticed the difference in the amount of pain. I bought a 50# bag. The DE wasn't as much as the shipping. I won't buy the large bag any more. Will get the containers. I take a 3# butter bowl full and sprinkle it around in my coop which is dirt floor and they all like bathing in it and the dirt. I sprinkle it heavy in the nests. I have never seen mites or lice in my coop. I also bought the duster and fill it and spray it all through the coop, on perches etc. I have taken it and put it in their water but it settles in the bottom of the fountain so I don't do that anymore. I swear by this stuff for mites etc. I've sprayed it in my old basement that had centipedes, spiders etc and within a couple of days, I didn't see anything. Anyone can say what they must but for me, I'm sold on it. I don't think any amount would hurt them. Just throw it on the ground with a little mash type food or maybe even dampen some scratch and sprinkle the DE on it. I would not tell anyone to use it and have no proof that it does anything but I can say I use nothing else for worming, mites, lice etc for my birds and they are doing fine. I know of some of the big breeders that feed it to chicks from day one.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
Forgot to put the link. lol I told you I'm 62 years old. lol http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom