How much would you pay for a dog?

I started the thread.

I did end up going through a rescue. We ended up getting an 18 month old.. I think she is a catahoula mix. She is housetrained, and well behaved inside and a bundle of energy outside. We are happy with her. She was $400, which included vet checkup, shots and spaying.

044-1.jpg

056-1.jpg

I paid $125 for my purebred pit bull (no papers, but the best dog I have ever had). And $200 for a purebred German Shepherd, both parents have papers, best dog hubby has ever had. A mixed breed is worth maybe $25. JMO.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have Dobies and GSDs. And I admit I have not done any formal research on the topic of rescues who have SchH3 titles.

Unfortunately, since there are multiple SchH associations running trials, it's hard to come up with comprehensive lists of titles. So I don't know, either. But ya gotta remember -- very few well bred dogs can attain the SchH3, either.

Have you earned a SchH3 with any of your dogs? If you have, then you know just how much overwhelming never-ending work and dedication it takes. Very very few owners are going to be willing to do it -- no matter what caliber of dog they own.

The problem is all the silly jerks who breed without ANY notion of what they are doing. We NEED the good, conscientious breeders who test for everything, get out there and compete, have their dogs assessed by the authorities on their breed, and then only look into breeding their very worthy dog.

I agree with ya here. If a person is going to buy a dog, they should take the time and money to find a really well-bred one. Either buy the best, or get a rescue. Don't support bad breeders!

Yet they are forever getting slammed in threads like this one because they are breeders. Why is it so hard for folks to understand that the reason a GSD, for example, looks, works, and behaves like a GSD is SUPPOSED to is because of the breeders' dedication to their breed.

In part, I think breeders in general get slammed because there are so many bad ones out there. Few people hear about the really good ones.​

Quote:
I'm also shocked, last I checked on shelter animals was back in San Diego and it was HIGH there! Almost cheaper to go buy a puppy!

I'm not sure how much it is here in Nebraska, but I do know they don't spay/neuter the animals - they give you a coupon here for a % off at certain vet clinics.

I have to disagree with you assessment of the shelter adoption prices in San Diego. Very reasonable, practically free. This fall they had 2 for ones on ...I think it was cats. You might have been referring to ASPCA/Private Shelters of which S.D. has quite a few. They can be pricey, but the county & city ones are dirt cheap after you consider all the money they spend on the shots, medical/dental & spay/neutor.

A goldendoodle is nothing but a mutt selectively bred. Crossbreeds if you prefer. 2200???? That's crazy. I wouldn't pay that for a REGISTERED dog. Plus an injured dog? Wouldn't pay $500 for an injured puppy. In my opinion you could find a shelter in your state, maybe specializing in either poodles or goldens and you're sure to find one.

I'm slow.

SHE'S GORGEOUS!

Last edited:
I admit to paying $2000 for a dog. A Newfoundland bred by one of the best breeders in the country, whose lines are in both show and working dogs, who is semi-retired from showing and now mostly does training classes for Water Dog, Utility Dog and Agility.

Worth every penny. Best rescue instincts ever, hands-down: she will herd children away from water if they get more than chest-deep, attempted to rescue me from deep water (she hasn't been trained to know the difference between "drowning" and "swimming underwater" yet) when we took her to the beach last summer. That's with fairly minimal, beginner-level Water Dog training, she hasn't even finished her Novice certificate.

Nearly zero prey drive. Good with the poultry, apart from trying to lick them to death. Insanely obedient, and rolls over for tummyrubs from every visitor. Lets herself be bathed and groomed calmly and majestically, like a 150 lb. princess. Healthy as a little horse, despite an annoying love of poop-eating. Extremely adorable, after a face-wipe and a mint biscuit, and knows most of her draft commands; we're still working on the U-turn, but otherwise perfect on "forward," "backup," "left," "right," "whoa," "let's go!"

That is one lovely merle girl you've got there! I love the eyes, they are so penetrating and focused.

Quote:
She is a beautiful blue merle. I see Aussie mix in her, but that is just an opinion. I personally would never pay four hundred from a rescue, but if you feel that was reasonable, then it's great for you. She is lovely. Enjoy her. Houstrained is a real plus! Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom