How to TRAIN A DOG to NOT chase chickens? HELP! asap

Quote:
It took a little while! No staring was first. But raising the peeps inside was very important because most dogs do have better inside behavior! So even if you can just bring a chicken in the house for a hour a day...in a cage of course...I would think that would work too.

1. Only allow the dog next to the chicken inside when they are lying down and not whining and carrying on. They may not be ready to lie down quietly next to the cage at first. So start from a distance where the dog will behave. My dog was so excited we started in the hallway for the first week. Gradually we moved into the room and near the cage....but we only went closer when there was no whining and carrying on. I didn't use treats to motivate her. I used the fact that she wanted more than anything else to be close to those chickens!

2. I first let my dog stare at the chickens for a second or two. Then I said, "Hey"! (Or you could say NO!...whatever word takes a dogs attention away from the thing they are fixated on.) The important thing is to say it when the dog is making eye contact with a chicken. Timing is everything. If there is no word that works you can touch them too. On the shoulder works well for my dogs.

3. At first my dog looked at me as soon as I said ,"Hey!", but then she looked back at the chickens, more quickly every time. She understood me but was making the choice to look back! So then as soon as she looked back I made her stand up, turn around and lie down facing away from the chickens. If she wouldn't stay without whining and carrying on then I walked her out of the room and we started all over again.

And that was pretty much it. We did this every day for a few weeks. When she stopped staring at the chickens and was content to just be close to them then I took them out of the cage with her in the room.

To get her to look away when I held them up to her face:

1. I made my dog lie down on her side next to the cage. Then I took the calmest peep and put it on her back. Of course she picked her head up. I said, "Hey!", and pushed her head back down. It only took a few times and she got it. First time my dog shook she was so excited.

It's like the dog has to allow the chicken to come into their space and not react at all. If that happens then the chicken feels safe with the dog. If a dog gets up then they are not ready for this. My dog had to be completely calm and submissive or the peep would panic. They know when something wants to eat them!

2. I did this with her every day for a week or so until she stopped reacting to the peeps walking on her at all. Then I took a peep out when she was lying down regular with her head up. When I held it up to her face she looked at it for a second. I said, "Hey!" and then she pulled her face away herself. She got it very quickly.

By now the peeps thought they were the dominant ones because they had been walking all over the dog for a week! So they looked her right in the eye....Bossy!

Help !!!! ive got a great pyranees and we have not had him long , we found him this past summer , I think hes about 1 or 2 yrs old , hes a GREAT dog , great with the kids , very friendly and social , but we found out the other day he likes to chase chickens !!! not good !!! as we have 30 birds at our farm , what can I do to teach him not to ?? please help .
Thanks

Help !!!! ive got a great pyranees and we have not had him long , we found him this past summer , I think hes about 1 or 2 yrs old , hes a GREAT dog , great with the kids , very friendly and social , but we found out the other day he likes to chase chickens !!! not good !!! as we have 30 birds at our farm , what can I do to teach him not to ?? please help .
Thanks

Check the 4th post in this thread, has good training info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708681/ideas-on-training-my-dog-to-leave-the-birds-alone

What is the method for getting them to not fixate on the chicken. Do you just want the dog to focus on you the whole time or just kind of wander around the chickens while they are roaming about and just it be a calm situation? Thanks for any advice. : )

We have 3 pitbulls that i trust alone with the chickens, well 2 of them lol the youngest one still tries to stomp on them. My 2 oldest will play with the turkeys and chickens.
When i introduced chicks to the dogs i would all ways let them smell the chicks, then tell the dog to be easy. If my dog got to excited i would say No in a stern voice and remove the dog from the area where the chick is. It takes time, and you have to be willing to take the time to train your dog!

Idk if you can seen it well, but theirs 2 turkey chicks sleeping under him. Thoes to chicks LOVED him and followed him everywhere!

How did you teach her to

1. Look away if I hold a chicken up to her face.

2. Never stare at the chickens.

My dog knows the LOOK command - in the house.  He will look immediately to me.  Outside - forget about it!  He is all chicken.  I could be holding a steak and he'd be looking at the girls!
never hold a chicken in front of your dog's face... it's the same way you're giving them treats.

we too have a lab but she's an unknown age...shelter said she's 7...I'm thinking 4-5. We're getting chicks in a couple months and I'm concerned as well. She's very well-behaved and trained so I'm hoping I can use all your advice and be successful but she has gone after and killed a baby bird before so who knows. I'll probably have to make sure I'm watching her even after training her. Thanks for all the tips BYC'ers!

Just wanted to post an update on this. I used the same technique to train my new puppy that I used to retrain my older dog who had gone after and almost killed a neighbor's chicken. Her prey drive is not like a husky. I would say it is medium high. She chases just about anything that moves (except for the chickens) but is responsive if you tell her to come.

I started off the first day she came home at 8 weeks in the chicken pen teaching her not to stare at the chickens. Every time she fixated on them I moved her head gently and said no. The more aggressive chickens actually confronted her and pecked her when she stared at them!

A week later we started training with the baby chickens in the house. First just with the cage open and correcting her every time she stared at them. Then I brought one out. She had to lie down only, don't touch the baby and don't stare. She was VERY interested...so I just kept at it...stare, correction, over and over.

After a week of that I started with touching her with the baby chickens. All I expected was for her not to stare at them and no licking or biting the chicken ever! She now is starting to understand that she should relax around the chickens NOT be excited.

When she was four months the baby chickens moved outside and she was ready to be let loose with the chickens. Prior to this she was tied in the chicken pen while I fed. She learned that if she relaxed the chickens would come to her...and she liked that. Let loose she did very well...but because she is a puppy she does get playful and in silly moods. When she acts goofy with the chickens I say "No" and she gets tied up in the pen until I am done feeding. She understands that excitement around the chickens means she loses her freedom. No yelling or anything on my part....just hook the leash on her and that's her consequence...loss of freedom.

By 5 months she was totally at home with the chickens. Still some goofiness once in a while, but no serious chasing of the chickens. The silver laced Wyandettes are the chickens she wants to play with. Why, I don't know? They do follow her around. Spock the rooster ignores her. She eats all the leftover squash and watermelons. Silly puppy! If she does get goofy now I don't tie her up. I make her lie down and stay for a minute. If she does it again then she has to leave the pen. She understands...if I hear a squawking chicken, I say, "Hey, what's that". If the puppy did it she will actually go over to the pen door and stand there with a very sad expression on her face because she knows she goofed up.

The main key for my puppy was to control her excitement around the chickens. I taught her the chickens were not prey and then I make sure to not let her get crazy excited around them. So far...things are good!

Hi!

Did you train you dog to do these things (look away, etc) using only positive re-enforcement or did you have to tell her "no", use negative re-enforcement if she did not obey? I'm still unsure if negative re-enforcement is always a "no-no". Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom