How to TRAIN A DOG to NOT chase chickens? HELP! asap

My Aunt told me to tie a dead chicken around my dogs neck for three days and the dog will never mess with chickens again. I have a golden retriever that will not leave my chickens alone. Everything else has failed and it can't hurt. (golden retriever)

actually, yes it CAN hurt. 1) it generally doesn't work. The dog will possibly be stressed and upset by this thing being stuck to its neck but won't equate that with "don't kill the chickens" The only thing that bothers the dog is that something large and awkward is getting in the way of trying to move and play. Dogs LIKE dead things and smelling like dead things and eating dead things. Trust me, the whole experience will be more unpleasant for you than the dog! 2) if the dead bird DOES manage to remain tied around the dog's neck for 3 days, you have a rotting corpse tied to your dog, attracting flies and other carrion insects toward his face - a vet visit waiting to happen. It rarely lasts that long though. The dog usually gets it off within a couple hours or if you tie it tightly enough you get 3) a good chance of your dog getting it (or the rope) caught on something and strangling himself.

The reason that people think this works is because they also discipline the dog in some other way for approaching the chickens, not just rely on the dead animal. In most cases, the dead bird was either slipped out of and left to rot somewhere or simply eaten by the dog.
Golden retrievers are bird dogs. They have a natural instinct toward birds that you have to work with and teach them to control.

Last edited:
After all is said and done, the chances of getting your dog so he is safe around chickens are slim and none. You might get him so he won't bother the chickens when you are around or he thinks you are, but when you are out of sight, all bets are off. You just have to figure out how to keep the dog and chickens separate.

to cut to the chase, I'm getting baby chicks soon. Well, about 10 months ago I got a Labrador puppy. She has now grown and is quite behaved. But just yesterday we went to our friends house (who has baby chicks) and LUCY (dog) got ahold of a baby chick and almost ate it! It started running around and she chased it. We finally cought her, put her on the floor and she dropped the baby chick (about 2 months old) (The chick is fine now) she didn't eat the chick, t=she just thought it was fun and chased it around like it was a game. but now I'm scared, what if she chases and anciently kills my chicks that i will buy?
th.gif

Is anybody here a dog trainer? How can I train my dog to NOT
D.gif
CHASE CHICKENS?
D.gif
:
hit.gif

please help asap!
Not sure if this will work, bit with our dog we put him on a leash. And made him lay down. Our chickens came up one my one to investigate, and we just pet our dog to calm him. One hen, a fiesty silkie came up and started nipping his tail, and he's a big dog. It took a while, but he eventually learned to be kind to them. Every once in a while he would chase them, but nevrr attack.

We have a relentless golden retriever. She was around chickens and chicks since she was 6 weeks old. She pounced them then and she pounces or will pounce them now.

My niece has a golden lab that doesn't chase anything. Her dog is self confident and secure though too. My dog is very insecure. Why? I have no idea, but its a big deal for her to show us that she can catch birds.

After she gets one she doesn't eat them, but she likes to catch them and kill them - its a blast for. I think I see her smiling when she does it.

Anyhow, my aunt (74) grew up on a farm and said whenever they got a dog they'd tie a dead chicken around its neck for three days. I don't think that will work, but I haven't tried it.

I made an observation though, and that is farm dogs get raised with livestock e.g. chickens very early after birth, like right after their eyes open. I'm wondering if that will work with retriever breeds too. Anyhow, I know its too late for both of our dogs. It is what it is. Good luck.

I have recent experience with this. After several weeks of trying to train our Australian Shepard mix on a leash around the chickens, I gave up. It was hard for me to admit failure, since I had trained a golden retriever in the past that would even let the hens scratch & peck on her back. So, I borrowed a shock collar & it only took 2 good shocks for this Australian Shepard mix to decide that the chickens weren't worth chasing. I kept the collar on vibrate for another week & would vibrate if she even looked at the chickens. Now, I even walk away from her outside with the chickens & haven't seen any sign of aggression. She still chases lizards, squirrels & jack rabbits, but not chickens!

We have a relentless golden retriever. She was around chickens and chicks since she was 6 weeks old. She pounced them then and she pounces or will pounce them now.

My niece has a golden lab that doesn't chase anything. Her dog is self confident and secure though too. My dog is very insecure. Why? I have no idea, but its a big deal for her to show us that she can catch birds.

After she gets one she doesn't eat them, but she likes to catch them and kill them - its a blast for. I think I see her smiling when she does it.

The problem is, she was given the chance to chase and pounce on them when she was a pup. Most dogs that kill chickens do it because it's FUN. They don't even realize that you can eat chickens - they are simply a fun squeaky toy.

Your dog may be showing those signs of insecurity because she isn't sure what you want. Goldens are field dogs - bred to retrieve birds. So her innate desire is "get the bird" she simply doesn't know what to do besides chase them down.

voice commands are useless unless the dog has learned what the command is.
I use NO for everything. it is quick, and my dogs learned that when I say NO, they had better stop doing whatever it is they are doing..

for a problem dog, put it on a leash and go sit on a chair in the coop with the chickens. if the dog makes a move toward the chickens, say NO and pull the dog back. let the dog sniff the chickens, you are not trying to isolate the dog. just letting it get to know these strange animals..
a shock collar is a last resort, not to be used on a puppy.
I even trained a cat this way.
If you don't have the time to do this, then maybe you shouldn't have a dog..

.......jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom