How warm do chickens like their coop?

I'm in the same boat (iceboat?) as rustywreck, just a little west in MN.

I have a good coop, insulated, ventilated, just curious as to what the lowest temp is that I should let the coop get.

Last edited:
Well, my girls like the heater set on 75 during the winter, but like the Jacuzzi around 100 degrees. In the summer, the A/C thermostat is usually set on 70. They have complained however, that the satellite dish on their coop heats the roof up a bit in summer, so I will be lowering the A/C setting next year.

I was told that they would get all messed up with their molt if I heated up the coop too much.
and they didn't need heat at least where I live just give them corn

Well, my girls like the heater set on 75 during the winter, but like the Jacuzzi around 100 degrees. In the summer, the A/C thermostat is usually set on 70. They have complained however, that the satellite dish on their coop heats the roof up a bit in summer, so I will be lowering the A/C setting next year.

yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:
In Siberia, it might be different, but those of us who live in New England do not heat our coops, and that includes plenty of nights around zero degrees. Chickens make their own heat with their bodies and digrstion, and their feathers keep that heat in, perfectly well..

Light is what they need to keep laying, not heat. I don't know where you live - is it a whole lot more freakishly cold than here?

Any North Dakotans want to tackle this one?

I don't have electricity in my house but I may give in and get hooked up this fall.

Umm... how can you not have electricity in your house? We found out during last winter's power outage what all takes electricity. That includes the well pump. No heat, no water, no working toilets.... Lotsa people die when the electricity goes out in the winter up in the northern states. Although half of them are from people killing themselves with carbon dioxide and smoke from alternate heat sources that aren't properly vented to the outdoors.

Only thing I was told to worry about was the roosters combs freezing when it got into the negatives. Since mine are barely going to be feathered out by middle of winter I'm trying to find a way to get enough power to run a lamp when it gets to -10 or -20 out. So far solar panels have shown to be way too expensive. I may be running alot of extension cords from the garage.​

Back
Top Bottom