How warm do chickens like their coop?

If your coop is draft free your chickens will generate enough heat on their own. Make sure that your roosts are wide enough. Don't use round dowel rods or branches. To keep their balance they have to rise up. If you use a roost that is at least 2" wide (mine are 3 1/2") so they can stand on it rather than grasping it. They then can lower their bodies down over their feet, expand their feathers and stay much warmer. I have a ceramic heater that turns on at 35 and off at 45 but it is mainly to keep the water from freezing.

Last edited:
"Umm... how can you not have electricity in your house?"

Heat with wood, lanterns for light, water in jugs, and an out-house. Even have solar powered christmas lights on a tree outside. Deer, birds and squirrels replace a TV.

I have a desire to one day quit working (retire) and lead a simple, more subsistance way of life. The chickens play a role in that.

Not haveing eleictricity isn't so bad once you get used to it, but there are times it would sure be nice to have a space heater in the out-house.

Good for you, Rustwreck!

thumbsup.gif

Off the grid would be nice. But my wife is addicted to tv!!
big_smile.png
ok I am addicted to the wife so Solar may be the way to go. by the way just joined this site been thinking about getting some chickens for my own eggs and giving away to friends and family.. Have one acre and was wondering how many chickens I should start with. Had them many moons ago when I was a kid but don't remember much except cleaning out the coop yuck!!!

Yea but what about washing yourself and hot water.... Currently I'm using the shower at my mom's house cause I have no hot water and my bathtub isn't draining so I have to bucket it out. A simple life would be good but I don't think I could live without running water. Having to bucket it in as well as out is far too much. I would like to go to all solar some day but it's really expensive to install. I've been looking at plans for homemade wind generators instead.

Quote:
I got mine at a feed store but I believe a place like Home Depot or any Ace should have them. They are popular out here because of the freezing temps we get, we have one in our pump house also.

I'm not planning on heating, except that we bought a waterer with a heating element underneath to keep ice from forming. We do have a brooder lamp in the coop for emergencies, such as slush-soaked birds or emergency deep-freeze temps of -25 C for prolonged periods.
wink.png

We're insulated and we've paid attention to draft prevention.

I have a Madagascar Games (naked neck) and I am worrying about her with winter approaching. She not only does not have feathers on her neck, but she does not have body feathers either (like, under her wings). My husband has been thinking of ways to heat the coop in the winter (mostly for her). Do you think we need to? I could bring her in the house but I feel she'd be lonely and I am sure the other chickens would rather be outside in the coop than inside keeping her company. Does anyone else have naked necks that can give me some advice?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom