I got started on my coop today, 90% finished!

flyin-lowe

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2016
Indiana
We had a perfect 60 plus degree sunny day in Indiana, definitely not typical this time of year.

Me and a good friend of mine (he's the carpenter) got a great start on my coop today.

Details. The coop is 8x6 with 7 foot walls and 8 foot at the peak. I went with those sizes for a couple reasons. I wanted to minimize the number of sheets of smartside I had to buy. I also plan on making my run 6 foot tall, so this would allow me to get the top of my run under the overhang coming off the front. I might have to modify this because that is one mistake I made, I think the tops of the two front windows are over 6 foot, So I will have to angle mire HC top up when I attach to the front, should be no big deal. I had initially planned to have 6 foot walls so the gable vents I bought were too big once I changed to 7 foot walls. So I am going to buy new vents and install them later.

I framed my walk in door and the pop door ten inches off the floor to make room for litter. I made a small 4 foot by 1 foot clean out hatch on the back that is flush with the floor so I can sweep out if needed. The windows were recently taken out by my friend on another job so they were free. The canopy windows on the front were brand new and still had the stickers on them. I also got the metal I am putting on the roof for free from a barn that was taken down.

I still need to put the metal roof on, frame and build the doors, build external nest boxed to go off the back, and frame the corners and along the rafters. I am just going to put chicken wire under the overhangs instead of soffit for ventilation.

Floor

Wall under construction

Walls up

Front and walk in door.

Back side and clean out, nest boxes will go under these windows.

Last edited:
Wow. That's some quick and impressive work! It looks like you started with a solid plan.

Can i ask you a question... what did he use to attach the wall framing to the base? Just 3 1/2" screws into the floor joists, or something more substantial?

Also, did you use a router to cut out the door, window, etc... in the siding after it was attached to the coop?

Last edited:
Used a passload nail gun and some very large nails to attach the walls to the floor and the walls to each other. We put siding up on three walls in full height sheets. Then we cut out the windows and doors from the inside using a "saws all". Then he made the rafters for each end and put those up. After the rafters were up used the "saws all" again to cut the sheeting gables along the edge of the rafters. When you use the framing as a guide for the saws all it goes really smoothly.

Thanks. I am thinking a flush cut bit on a router would/should give me a perfect cut for all of the openings as well. I currently don't own a sawsall (I know, I know...man card in jeopardy).

Last edited:
I didn't own one until a year or two ago. I needed it for a project in my pole barn. I don't do a lot of building so I went to my local EZ pawn and picked up a Skill that looked brand new and it was only like $12.00. If I was a contractor it wouldn't hold up but for a few weekend projects it did just fine.

I love my sawzall.

And I am super-impressed at how quickly that coop went up! I do believe I will be stealing the idea for the sweep-out hatch...that would definitely come in handy.

Since I'm using metal that was given to me I won't have much of an overhang. The eaves will be covered in HC for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom