I got started on my coop today, 90% finished!

I gave myself a crash course in metal roof work tonight. It went pretty well. It is not perfect because I am using recycled metal but I am pleased with how it went. I ended up putting some "double bubble" insulation under the metal to hopefully keep it from dripping condensation. I am pleased with the amount of ventilation that I will have with the eaves open. Since I don't have a huge amount of drop from the peak to the eaves so I think it will vent good. I am going to start with that and the windows and if I need to I will add some gable vents later. Hopefully this week I can get my doors build, trim up and ridge cap on. I also have some old screw holes to patch/fill on the roof. I am hoping in the next week or two I can get things buttoned up and get my run built. I likely will have to wait a while to paint. The warm temps we have had in Indiana the last couple days are going away and back to colder temps for the next several weeks. Good thing about the smart side is it is OK to not be painted right away.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the 70 degee days for my own coop build...particularly since I don't have walls up yet to block wind. :idunno

Do you have pics of the coop with roof?

Just one quick shot I took before it got dark. It was taken from the ground so you can't see much. Overall it turned out good, with a roof this small you don't have room to get to much out of square. (I am nit picking myself) It only took three panels per side. I left a couple inches of over hang that I might decide to keep as is or I might decide to fold the metal down over the edge and secure it that way. I ripped both end pieces and when I ripped them my peaks don't line up from one side of the roof with the peaks on the other side of the roof. Once the ridge cap it on you will never notice it because it is not that noticeable and it is tall enough you can't see both sides at the same time. One of those things that I know it's there, but I didn't feel like cutting more pieces of metal. I still have to trim the ends of the rafters and under the gables. I am going to put treated 1x6's for those. Then trim the corners of the coop with 1x4's.

Excellent. I love seeing the in-progress pics since it helps me understand how everything fits together. I'm still working out how I want to do the roof on mine. Like you, a lot will likely depend on the materials I can get my hands on!

Is there enough room under edge of metal to attach a wooden facia to the ends of rafters?
Then you can cover eaves with HC for predator protection and have maximum ventilation.
Take a look at My Coop page to see how I did that.

Yes I am putting treated 1x6's on the outer ends of the rafter similar to a facia board. Then under the rafter will be HC instead of soffit. Then I will run treated 1x6's on the gable ends from the peak down to the facia 1x6 if that makes sense.

I didn't get my trim boards up today because I was short on time. I did get my ridge cap on. I think with my ridge cap and the eaves I will have plenty of ventilation. I haven't done the math but between each rafter there is a gap that is 16 inches wide by 3 1/2 inches tall. This will be covered with HC. Then on my ridge there is a total of 5 inches between the purlins and metal on each side. There is a 2x6 on edge for a ridge board so basically there is 3 inches of open air space all the way down the center of the coop under the ridge cap. Before I put my ridge cap on I stapled HC over the ridge board so nothing could get into the coop that way. I took a picture which better explains what I am talking about. The weather is supposed to turn bad tomorrow so maybe I can get my doors built and do some of the inside work and when it clears up I can get my run built.

Here is a picture looking under my ridge cap which runs the 8 foot length of the building. The ends were I took the picture from will be screened off to so nothing can get into there.

Here is a picture of the eave openings.

Yes I am putting treated 1x6's on the outer ends of the rafter similar to a facia board. Then under the rafter will be HC instead of soffit. Then I will run treated 1x6's on the gable ends from the peak down to the facia 1x6 if that makes sense.
Yep, makes sense.....ridge cap/vent looks great!

Back
Top Bottom