I got started on my coop today, 90% finished!

Thanks

I am ready for some chickens but I am also chomping at the bit to get a stretch of decent weather so I can paint the outside. I am thinking about going with the classic barn red and white trim. Not quite sure about that part yet. Right now they are calling for some warmer weather in Indiana middle of next week, close to 70 degrees. That could change a bunch between now and then though.

I got the hardware cloth on the top of my run tacked into place today with the help of a friend. Now I just need to go around and get it all tight and secured. I have the rest of the trim done around my entry door so it is secure now as well. I am hoping to be able to get everything else buttoned up I need to on Friday and can be ready for chicks on Saturday. I am going to call the farm I am getting them from and see if I can pick some up.

I started on my nest boxes today but I don't have any plans or prints I am just building them on the fly (which I am not always the best at.) The pullets I am getting have not started laying yet so I don't have to have them added to the coop by Saturday but I would like to. I still have to trim around the windows and the pop door and install a couple 2x4's for roosts but that can be done in no time. Next week temps in the 60's and 70's so maybe I can paint also.

This will probably be my last "build" update until I get paint on. I am getting my chickens in the morning so I took the day off work today to get things buttoned up. I got my nest boxes built and got my hardware cloth secured all the way around. I also go my clean out door on the back side mounted and the trim put on. I also put one roost inside and will add another tomorrow. I used my last 2x4 on the 8 foot long roost and I am going to add a 6 footer that runs the other directions. I still need to add my corner trim and trim around my windows and few little other things I can get done tomorrow after I pick the chicks up. I am also going to put a couple of braces under the nest boxes tomorrow just to be safe.

I am getting three golden comets, three RIR's and three barred rocks. They are 18 weeks old, if the comets haven't started laying yet I am guessing they will be soon.

This will probably be my last "build" update until I get paint on. I am getting my chickens in the morning so I took the day off work today to get things buttoned up. I got my nest boxes built and got my hardware cloth secured all the way around. I also go my clean out door on the back side mounted and the trim put on. I also put one roost inside and will add another tomorrow. I used my last 2x4 on the 8 foot long roost and I am going to add a 6 footer that runs the other directions. I still need to add my corner trim and trim around my windows and few little other things I can get done tomorrow after I pick the chicks up. I am also going to put a couple of braces under the nest boxes tomorrow just to be safe.

I am getting three golden comets, three RIR's and three barred rocks. They are 18 weeks old, if the comets haven't started laying yet I am guessing they will be soon.
What?!?!? We never got to see the inside!
Maybe when the chickens are in there?

By the time I got done this evening it was getting dark on the inside. It is pretty plane Jane. I have a 2x4 roost that runs 8 foot, along the front wall. I put it higher then the pop door but lower then the windows thinking this would help avoid drafts on the birds. I plan to add another roost tomorrow along one of the 6 foot walls. I put the roost just over 2 foot high, I heard it was good to have them higher then the nest boxes. I did put a coat of black jack 57 on the floor as well. Other then that not much going on inside right now. Ill get some pics tomorrow.

I never have taken any good pictures of the inside. I did take a couple quick pics with my phone of the feeder and waterer I put together. The feeder is the oh so common five gallon bucket with the 3 inch 90 degree PVC elbows. I had an extra 5 gallon plastic water jug so I used it with a couple of horizontal cup type feeders. I put both in yesterday afternoon and have observed several different chickens using both, so I am assuming everyone knows how, if not the will learn quickly.

Back
Top Bottom