I got started on my coop today, 90% finished!

It is called Smart Side. If you search here and on Google you can find some info about it. My understanding is that it has not been around a really long time. It is basically a sheet of OSB cut to look like T1-11. However on the outside there is some type of resin applied and then it is primed and ready for paint. The inside looks like standard OSB the outside looks as you see. From what I read on line those who use it like it, and so far I did too. It was easy to work with and the exterior feels like it will hold up well. It is designed to be used on houses as well as sheds, barns etc. It normally runs about the same price as T1-11 but I caught it on sale and saved about $11.00 a sheet which was nice.

It has a 50 year warranty, however since it has not been out that long I am not sure what type of testing they did to make those claims. And I am certain there are all kinds of stipulations, if in 30 years it falls apart, I am not expecting to get my money back or a free replacement.

sounds good! I had some left over cedar siding from my house I may use, but if it's not enough material I think I'll go with the Smart Side! Thanks!

sounds good! I had some left over cedar siding from my house I may use, but if it's not enough material I think I'll go with the Smart Side! Thanks!
I was going to go with cedar siding myself, but I was convinced otherwise on here. Apparently cedar has tannins in it that is bad for the chickens (breathing issues?). Some have said they've used cedar with no problems for years, but more were against it.

Plus, not having spare cedar sitting around like you, Smartside was a cheaper option for me.

Flyin-lowe, looks like you're Flyin-high!

Thanks
Yesterday it was 60 degrees and sunny, currently it is 30 degrees and snowing, Good ole Indiana winters. Since it was nasty out today I went inside and built my entry door and the door for the back cleanout hatch. Now all I need to do is get the posts for the run and get it up. It looks like the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so with any luck I can get my run built and will be ready to pick up some birds.

I also need to get my nest boxes built.

Another decent day and a lot more work done. I have the frame of my run completed and two sides are covered in hardware cloth. I just have it tacked up right now as I still need to add some supports across the top of the run and a few more boards on the side so I can secure it better. The run is 8'x24', I also laid down an apron of welded wire fence 12 inches out all the way around. The one design flaw I found after building the coop was I forgot to lower the two front windows down below 6 feet so I am going to have to angle my hardware cloth up about a foot to get over the top of the windows. I ended up using 8 foot treated 4x4's buried 2 feet in the ground making the run 6 foot tall.

I plan on putting down the blackjack 57 I got on the floor and part way up the walls tomorrow. Then on Monday I will be building the entry door for the run so I can close the end off and close the top.

Getting closer each day. The picture is not the best, I was running out of light.

Coming along nicely!

Is your entry door going to be half-height or will one of the 2x4s be coming off for framing in a full-height?

I spent today gathering all the lumber I had around the house to use it up first. Hopefully will be able to get the two simple walls framed in tomorrow. I'm leaving the more complicated ones (doors, pop door, sweep out hatch, etc.) until next week just in case I want to make any last minute additions to the design as I read through the boards in the evening.

Coming along nicely!

Is your entry door going to be half-height or will one of the 2x4s be coming off for framing in a full-height?

I spent today gathering all the lumber I had around the house to use it up first. Hopefully will be able to get the two simple walls framed in tomorrow. I'm leaving the more complicated ones (doors, pop door, sweep out hatch, etc.) until next week just in case I want to make any last minute additions to the design as I read through the boards in the evening.
Im going to make it full height. I will be removing a section of the center 2x4 that runs in the center. I plan on putting it in the corner on the ended, closest to you in the picture. I will probably just make it 2 foot wide.

I had the day off work today so I got some more work done. With some help from my BIL I got my entry door built to the run. I also added more supports along the side and top of my run and it is ready for the hardware cloth. I mentioned earlier I forgot to lower my windows when I framed the front wall so I am going to have to angle my HC up to clear the windows. I cut some angle braces to run the HC up and will attach it above the windows.
I also got my eave and gable trim up and hung the entry door for my coop. I only hung the top and side trim that the hinges mount to and am still paining the other trim. The only necessity keeping me from chicks at this point is getting the top of the run covered and the nest boxes. I am hoping I can build the nest boxes in one day and get them attached. The outside trim etc I will work on as I get time.
I also painted the floor yesterday with blackjack 57.
Here are a few pics of todays progress.

Back
Top Bottom