I have a Rooster I city limits. I have a citation. My Roo and his mate are sultans..listed on AG end

We recently started using the No Crow Rooster Collar from My Pet Chicken. Our rooster did walk backwards at first, but he stopped that within a few minutes. We initially put it on very loose just so he could get accustomed to it. Then we began tightening a little at a time and observing him for several hours before tightening again. With each adjustment, he would walk backwards and/or try to get it off, but he would soon adjust and forget about it. Eventually, we got to a point where the sound was muffled but without any sort of distress with breathing. Perhaps a more gradual approach would allow you to use the rooster collar until you can get the neighbor/citation problem sorted out. Good luck!!
Thanks. This is the big day. I'm sticking with it!! Thanks for the good juu juu We will need it!!

Set over again! They only Allowed us to either plead guilty or not guilty of course we pleaded not guilty. Then they made us turn around and leave. Get this… I get home and took the advice of Pat Foreman, the lady at the livestock conservancy recommended that I contact her… She is the author of "City Chicks" and a huge advocate for stainable living. She was real busy but told me to find the exact rooster ordinance. And I did… But I really didn't, because, come to find out, get this… There Is No Chicken Ordinance in my city Nor Is There A Rooster Ordinance :) LOL what I found out is that they "say" that chickens are allowed and roosters are not allowed within city limits. There are no ordinances written~ there are no flock size limitations, there are no restrictions or coop requirements~ nothing!!! It's interesting, in the May city newsletter, they have a section where it says "Roosters are not allowed in city limits" and then that is followed up with an ordinance code which anyone would assume was the chicken/rooster ordinance, but NO. The code is only the city noise ordinance!! Pretty presumptious if not downright discrimination ask me but that's another subject. At first when she asked me to find the ordinance I was a little puzzled because she said that is the number one thing to do! Smart lady!! She knows what she's doing!! This is what she does, she creates chicken laws and she obviously had her radar on telling me that. She probably runs into this all the time.. So to answer your question nothing happened today, they will mail us a letter informing us of the date of our trial… Trial… Seriously?. Just one last thing, she referred me to a man by the name of Pete Kennedy, president of the FCLDF (Farm-To-Consumer -Legal-Defense Fund. She also mentioned landmark decisions are made with this sort of thing. So you know what? I'm retired. I'm a little bored being retired. So I think I'm going to get me some landmark decisions made!
In the meantime though… I'm going to spend some time figuring this dang rooster color thing out. I went to JoAnnes fabrics a couple nights ago and picked up all kinds of gear to try to make our own collar. What I like most is this really soft elastic that I found. It's on the thick side but also very very soft. I even found one that is white with little gold specs in it… Just like the feathers of a Sultan Roo I know;) we also purchased some really good velcro made especially for fabric. Boy oh boy, I sure hope I can get this crowing situation handled without feeling like I'm damaging him or his character! I'm thinking he's going like the white & gold though I really do LOL
And,
Thanks for asking!
Wordy I know. That happens with me sometimes..

*I have two threads on tis subject so I'm posting two posts back to back but are about a week apart.

WOW...All I can say is WOW!!! She has gone too far and this is being blown out of purportion!! The lady next door is not a nice person! She started in calling the police on Monday and has averaged 6 calls a day. She is telling them he crows from 6am and goes nonstop. Truth is, with the heat lately, they lay around pretty much all day in their dust bathe and don't make a peep. It's too hot for any kind of egg production for that matter. The police say they have to respond to each call. They are being cool at this point (the officers) and by now, we are all on a first name basis and they will even accept a glass of iced tea while we visit.
So my favorite cop comes to the door yesterday apologizing all over the place saying he is only the messenger. He hands me a letter from the police chief. In the letter it states We Must Get Rid Of Our Rooster Within 7 Days or they can re-cite us and begin imposing fines. Yep that's what it says. We haven't been given our trial date yet!
WOW!!! If I'm not mistaken, according to the 14th amendment to the US Constitution, there is a little gem of a clause called DUE PROCESS! Which "prohibits state and local government officials from depriving persons of life, liberty and property without legislative authorization! It is a legal requirement that the state must respect all legal rights that are owed to a person. It gives us the right to grieve (disagree) and to appeal. When a government harms a person without following the exact course of the law, this constitutes a due process violation, which offends against the rule of law".!!
Here is the most interesting part. With all the police visits this week. Not one of the officers has seen nor have they heard a rooster crow. Not Once!!
.....Anyone??

This makes me so angry!! Can you put both roosters in your house for one day? See how many calls she makes to the police.... If they are inside, she can't hear them. Prove to the officers that she is complaining about nothing...... I surely would make her life miserable in one way or another... Good Luck!

Hah!! Told ya the city code never mentioned rooster!! Always, ALWAYS, look up exact wording and exact location with regard to city limits.

I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. :D

Next step is to use Oregon's version of FOIA, Freedom Of Information Act. In writing, request that the police dep't send you copies of the officer's logs and notes for each visit as well as dispatch logs. They can, but don't have to, charge a reasonable fee for copies. Most will be computerized and easy for them to get. The dep't has to respond with the files within a set time period unless doing so might bring harm to a witness, etc. And they can always mark out names or addresses if they really need to. Check the state and county bar association. Some have form letters on their websites to help with wording various requests. There may be something there that will help. And sometimes lawyers do Q&A at senior centers, junior colleges, etc

Since the Police Chief sent the letter it means he's getting tired of the waste of dep't time OR someone else in the city government requested that he do so. They were tired of complaints so just pushed it along. Guess what- another FOIA request for the Police Chief for any and all information, logs, notes, etc as regards to your address or discussion of roosters or poultry.

If you can, set up a game cam or something that will record rooster activity and time stamp it too. Nothing like being able to prove she's making false statements to the police. They can cite her for that plus it would help with below .....

And- consider filing a harassment suit against your neighbor. Five calls a day plus false statements?

Hmmm, I wonder if the Police Chief's actions would fall under "color of law".

Edited to add definition of "color of law"

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress . . ." 42 U.S.C. S 1983 (1988)

Last edited:
This makes me so angry!! Can you put both roosters in your house for one day? See how many calls she makes to the police.... If they are inside, she can't hear them. Prove to the officers that she is complaining about nothing...... I surely would make her life miserable in one way or another... Good Luck!

I had a neighbor who called a barking complaint on my house once. Only my dogs weren't there, they were all at work with me, witnessed by several Animal Control and Police Officers. It couldn't have been timed any better ;)

TridentK9
You are a gem!!
Thank you!!
I will do just that!
BTW The city I live in has recently experienced an internal scandle that has resulted in eliminating  the city police force which, as of July,1 is now run by the county sheriff dept.
http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2014/01/cornelius_police_contract_sher.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2013/12/three_cornelius_cops_file_suit.html
Should make for an interesting small town read.

Again,
Thank You,

LOL- Thank You! Glad to hear that that job had some use ;)
Oh my. That was interesting reading. Using county sheriff for small towns usually ends up being effective in the long run. It gives the small departments access to more: more information, more equipment, more officers, a bigger pool of trained and vetted personnel.

Just a thought, if the police are responding to all these calls, can you write up a letter or petition or have another close neighbor do so stating they do not hear a rooster crowing constantly, the noise is minimal, and then have the rest of the neighborhood sign it and present it to the powers that be.
Could you get the crazy neighbor's husband to sign it or at least state his wife is doing it to make trouble? Probably not, but it's worth a try.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom