ingredients of Layena?

I've seen this debate before, I use Dumor from TSC and at times get Agway. Agway's has a lower protein I think. Country max did have Layena on sale last year bogo and I stocked up for the winter. You can just rip off the tags of each bag and compare but in my case they seem to be just about the same on all ingredients. Dumor was cheaper so I went with them. Agways chick feed is lower in protein too. However I don't think Dumors is medicated but agways is and I like to use the medicated to start off the chicks with. Then switch to the un-medicated shortly after.

I really think we should write to the manufactures of Organic and see if we can't get them to sell through TSC or CM. Also to lower the price. I wouldn't mind paying $15 a bag but $22 is just to much. Of course we realize that feeding them scraps from the house and other things could just defeat the purpose to a degree. Becoming certified organic is expensive and cost prohibitive for small flock raisers.

Take care

Rancher

Layena used to list what was in it. I think it changed a couple of years ago, to that more generic label. They can just mix and match whatever's cheapest for the grains, for example, when they mix it and not have to worry about the label. As long as the analysis is at the right percentages, it's good.

well, no matter what, it looks like i'm basically stuck with what my TSC is selling anyway....which is Layena.....and i'm not against Layena, i'd just like to do some comparison shopping. i can't order online, cuz shipping would KILL me! it would be awesome if a Chicken Food Truck came around with whatever food i chose for the girls, without paying too much in shipping. but that probably doesn't exist.

Do you have any feed mills around you that might carry something different? The feed mill that we used to have mix up our feed for the sheep also carried bags of chicken feed. Now we stop at a feed store that has a lot of horse and various livestock feed and supplies. If there's a feed that you're pretty sure is sold in your state, you could also contact the manufacturer and ask where the nearest retailer is. You might find out about a place you hadn't heard of before.

If they don't have what you want ask them to order it. If they balk , then write to the TSC corp and tell them what you want. Also write to the brand you'd like them to carry. TSC here didn't used to carry layena but when I told them Country max down the road did they started to carry it.
I did go back to dumor for the pennies savings. i can get the tags and post the ingredients. That's not a big deal. I would do agway but for the protein. I suppose all the boss and other stuff i give them might make up the difference.

Dumor does have the 20% chick feed that I give to encourage feather growth in molting birds. Can't hurt and hasn't so far.

Quote:
Agreed! I wish it didnt have to be "CERTIFIED ORGANIC" to be decent quality with no crap in it! I would pay for quality, but I'm not going to pay for the organic lable to say organic. How hard can it be???

it would be awesome if a Chicken Food Truck came around with whatever food i chose for the girls, without paying too much in shipping. but that probably doesn't exist.

There should be lots of other places to buy feed and many stores can order things even if they dont keep it in stock.

There are also quite a few feed mills in NC who can do custom blends if you buy large quantities​

Quote:
I did too, originally. But now the Dumor tags are exactly like the Layena ones "grain products"
basically it means whatever was cheap this week
roll.png

Dumor seems fine, my flock does best on either Dumor or Purina (same mill anyway I think)
our local co-op sells their brand of feed, cheaper, but the poop comes out looking "undigested" so I quit buying it

Last edited:
well, i'll do some asking around....i know a couple people here who actually live in the country and have horses....another has a LOT of animals....i'll ask them where they go for their food.

Topic surfaces a lot, but Dumor is merely Purina blending/packaging for TSC to have a house brand. The differences are superficial.

I've tried Southern States. It is very good. I've also tried a smaller feed company called Armada, from Armada, MI. It too is quite good. There isn't an enormous swing in prices, as grains like corn and soybeans are commodities that are price set by the Commodities Exchange. Grains are steadily marching upward, like oil and most commodity prices. This makes it harder and harder for keepers of traditional hens that may have half the egg production of a hybrid. Winter time is particularly tough, because of limited dietary alternatives and snow pack.

Back
Top Bottom