Minimal amount of Crude Fat
Maximum amount of Crude Fiber
Minimal amount of Calcium
Maximum amount of Calcium
Minimal amount of Phosphorus
Minimal amount of Salt
Maximum amount of Salt

Chris

There were reports back in the summer of companies now using "recycled" grains/grain products. I don't remember all the details, but basically the leftover corn that has been used to make ethanol was being sold more cheaply to the feed companies who then used it in all sorts of animal feeds. There were studies showing that it was already causing big problems short-term. I think it may have been a malnutrition issue? Anyway, you could probably google it and get the details. I was already switching my new girls to organic versions at the time and those reports just reinforced my conviction that a costlier feed was worth it for the health of the hens and the eggs we would consume!!!

I learned 20 yrs ago that cheap food doesn't keep people healthy, just full. And hey! We're worth it!

Quote:
There called byproducts or the new fancy name co-products. There is nothing wrong with them if they are used correctly. The popular ones I know of are dryed distillers grain (DDG), soybean meal, bran, wheat middlings, corn glutan and dried brewers grain. Any grain that is pressed and or milled for a certain product has a byproduct that can be used in feed. All major feed companies use these byproducts.

I hate to be the new kid on the block and already arguing, but, sometimes that's how we learn new and important things. I am no expert, especially in poultry nutrition. That's why I came here - to learn! I like the BYC members signature line that says to' make your good better and your better best'! That's what I'm trying to do in all facets of my life, including with my animals.

I worked in a health and nutrition store for 7.5 yrs. I learned right off that since I have 2 ears and 1 mouth that I could accomplish a whole lot more by listening to our customers. And I did. The huge number of people who came to us with animals in distress was unreal considering how many vets our small city has. Except in injury cases, almost every single health issue was cleared up by switching the animals to better quality food and water!!! And gang - we promoted homemade food ~ which for dogs and cats contained very little that we sold in the store ...i.e. we put the pets health before store profits! A customer brought us a copy of a study on the horrible effects of ethanol leftovers on dogs and pigs! Mind boggling ...especially since its not common knowledge amongst people who take such good care of their animals.

I can't find that particular report, but a google brought lots of others. Look at these 2 paragraphs from TruthinPetFood.com.

And Dr. Aldrich also reports on ‘drawbacks’: “One drawback to DDGS is the potential to concentrate mycotoxins, especially given that fermentation and distilling do not destroy these mold metabolites. Nor is the ethanol industry obligated to operate under the same restrictions as the food and feed industries. In one extension report from South Dakota State University, mycotoxin concentrations for 2000 through 2007 were reported to be measurable in each testing year.”
Interpretation: There is one problem, and it’s big… DDGS (left-overs from ethanol production) are extremely prone to a deadly mold that is known to be a killer of pets. Extensive research has shown it’s very risky. But remember, it’s cheap so it’s probably worth the risk.

Dr. Aldrich reports on research of DDGS (left-overs from ethanol production): “To summarize this battery of studies, the inclusion of DDGS at up to 30% of dog diets was reported to be acceptable; but, digestibility, stool consistency and palatability were measurably diminished.”
Interpretation: Using up to 30% of this cheap @#$% is fine, even though it won’t provide much nutrition and will probably give the pet the runs (and big time gas!).

Follow the money trail - who stands to profit? Is it worth the risk of loosing our birds or the potential harm to our families health?

Fred's Hens :

Topic surfaces a lot, but Dumor is merely Purina blending/packaging for TSC to have a house brand. The differences are superficial.

I've tried Southern States. It is very good. I've also tried a smaller feed company called Armada, from Armada, MI. It too is quite good. There isn't an enormous swing in prices, as grains like corn and soybeans are commodities that are price set by the Commodities Exchange. Grains are steadily marching upward, like oil and most commodity prices. This makes it harder and harder for keepers of traditional hens that may have half the egg production of a hybrid. Winter time is particularly tough, because of limited dietary alternatives and snow pack.

thanks fred. been using southern states for 30 years. it is good. tried some of these other feeds and my chickens will stop eating it after a few days. the purina that makes these cheap feeds is not the same purina that makes the dog food. purina pro plan is a good dog food and my beagles do very well on it​

I've used Purina animal feeds, including chickens since 1980's and they never disappoint me. What they eat is less they take out and the poop does not have that foul odor like the other brands of feed I've tried.

I've tried mills, it sucks...so much waste and chickens wont eat it and poop are foul.
Rural King, it is OK to do in a pinch when you are out of feed but poop are foul and they eat MORE to make up for the diet. Pound for pound, its a waste.

Purina won me down hands down, the prices are not too bad. You pay for what you get.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Trying to understand the use of co-products in livestock feeds by pulling bits and pieces from articles on the internet will lead you astray.

That is why I don't always believe everything on line, do your research, pull tags and do comparison. Contact the companies themselves.​

Back
Top Bottom