International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I know he has a nice tail .but other they don t so i was just making a point .

My Herculus is in a bad shape .he broke his left leg . he lost a lot weight in this couple of weeks .
he is under Antibiotic ( actually all of them ) for 5 more day ,

I think he was too heavy to jump down from the roost . I did not pay attention .was too high for him not the other . now I m paying for it .one of my favorite rooster is no doing good .

hope he ll make it .he was taking a dust bath today still limping .

chooks man

sorry to hear that. I hope he will get better soon.

Oh no..... I love Hercules (I like him.... like you like Claude). I hope he recovers and you have made me think. These birds are young and agile but I may have my roosts too high to for when they are older and heavier. I am going to bring them down a bit. Good height?

No.... I didn't take the tail comment wrong. You know I don't like Bello's tail and Claude's is only fair. Wonder if it really is the heat causing the big combs? It is hot! Still hot now in September.

Trying to get ready for a big weekend. Going to a Ranch Heritage weekend put on by the Florida Cattlemen's Association. Got my western duds ready. Can't wait to see the Cracker cattle and horses, Cow dog competition, rodeo and shop!

you look good, have fun!

Here are some pics of my 6 month old BCM cockerel Please critique him, be very honest. I don't want to start off with bad birds My intention is to breed so

want to be very diligent.

yeah Antonio a true handsome Black copper marans .

his comb and wattles end up larger too .

I think is some thing to do with a weathers . Florida never get cold .

the comb and wattle are the cooling system of the chooks like a car radiator I guess .

chooks man

Wonder if it really is the heat causing the big combs? It is hot! Still hot now in September.

Bev Davis was saying that exact thing not too long ago, she started keeping her brooder temps cooler to prevent the chicks from developing a big comb.
I can't remember if she said anything about preventing it in the teenage/adolescence stage of their life. I believe the comb size is not too terribly important on breeders but if you have a good line and wanted to raise a batch as show birds then I would think you may need to intervene for a longer period of time.

I believe that Bev is also located in Florida from what I have read.

Help! I hope these photos are better. I need to decide which cockerel to keep. Too many males and I need to make room for the pullets from my second hatch.
#1, photos 1-3. His feathering is pretty consistent reddish copper.

#2 photos 4-6, more difficult to photograph, he would not leave the pen.

#3, photos 7-10. He has more variation in color, goldish copper. He's a little bigger than the first two, kind of has a "grandfather" look to him.

Wow, you folks have been busy on this forum! I've been in Ireland for the past 3 weeks on holiday / vacation. We had a great trip and the Irish are some of the friendliest people I've ever met. So, last night I logged on to this forum only to find over 400 unread posts which took me 3 hours to read. Welcome to all of the new subscribers to this forum.

@Chooks Man - Thanks for the breeding lessons on creating different varieties of Marans...very interesting and wishing I had the space to take on such an ambitious project.

RedBanks - Bello, Claude and Antonio are absolute studs and Gabby, well, let's just say that I feel about Gabby the same way you and Chooks Man feel about Antonio and Claude. You egg color is excellent. I agree with Chooks Man, you have all you need to breed your own quality line of BCMs.

Winterhorses - You have a great foundation for a quality breeding program with your BCMs. Very nice birds!

My birds are 5 months old today...they change so much from week to week and month to month. It seems I have a new favorite every time I look at them. Out of 13 hatched chicks I have 3 nice cockerels (all BCM) and 3 nice pullets (one each BCM, Blue CM and Splash). Yes RedBanks, Otis is one of the three cockerels. I'm gonna give them another month before I post updated photos. The pullets are starting to get their combs and wattles so I expect they'll start to lay in the next month or so. Hopefully they have good egg color.

Good to be back online,
Keith

Wow, you folks have been busy on this forum! I've been in Ireland for the past 3 weeks on holiday / vacation. We had a great trip and the Irish are some of the friendliest people I've ever met. So, last night I logged on to this forum only to find over 400 unread posts which took me 3 hours to read. Welcome to all of the new subscribers to this forum.

@Chooks Man - Thanks for the breeding lessons on creating different varieties of Marans...very interesting and wishing I had the space to take on such an ambitious project.

RedBanks - Bello, Claude and Antonio are absolute studs and Gabby, well, let's just say that I feel about Gabby the same way you and Chooks Man feel about Antonio and Claude. You egg color is excellent. I agree with Chooks Man, you have all you need to breed your own quality line of BCMs.

Winterhorses - You have a great foundation for a quality breeding program with your BCMs. Very nice birds!

My birds are 5 months old today...they change so much from week to week and month to month. It seems I have a new favorite every time I look at them. Out of 13 hatched chicks I have 3 nice cockerels (all BCM) and 3 nice pullets (one each BCM, Blue CM and Splash). Yes RedBanks, Otis is one of the three cockerels. I'm gonna give them another month before I post updated photos. The pullets are starting to get their combs and wattles so I expect they'll start to lay in the next month or so. Hopefully they have good egg color.

Good to be back online,
Keith

Welcome back!

LL
LL

this cockerel is nice .great type and nice red copper .
a problem with him ,he carries a White on his tail feathers .
LL
LL

number too is nicer too . his problem his hackle is straw colored ( maybe just a sun Correct me please )

Cockerel number 3 is a cull for sure

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom