International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have never seen marans without parasitic white. a friend of mine says her flock is without it but I doubt she understands what parasitic white is. she lives far away from me so I cannot check it.
Yeah, I thought about adding a different line to my flock to get rid of the parasitic white. I probably wouldn't get rid of the white and would have a bunch of new problems. So that thought went out as fast as it came in!

Yeah, I thought about adding a different line to my flock to get rid of the parasitic white. I probably wouldn't get rid of the white and would have a bunch of new problems. So that thought went out as fast as it came in!
The two new roosters I bought have no white. They are a different line. They are two years old. Will be interesting to see what the genetics are. Another three years and I will know. White feathers are more than a fault, are not acceptable to SOP standards, and yet all lines have them???

The two new roosters I bought have no white. They are a different line. They are two years old. Will be interesting to see what the genetics are. Another three years and I will know. White feathers are more than a fault, are not acceptable to SOP standards, and yet all lines have them???
I hope you are able to breed it out. Yes, I think they get around the white by showing them before the white shows up.

Not all lines, the Line I got mine from have no recessive white, but on the flip side while they do lay dark eggs, out of the two hens I only got 70 eggs last year.

anything taking their eggs? I have just discovered that magpies have been steeling eggs here.
No. The coops and runs are tight to keep out wild birds. Well at the old farm at least. We moved 2 months ago to Kansas as I bought a big 230 acre cattle farm with tons of barns, so they are locked up tightly in a barn now until I get the runs built. and yesterday got 1 egg from them.

They are just stingy in giving eggs, they did just hit 3 years old

No. The coops and runs are tight to keep out wild birds. Well at the old farm at least. We moved 2 months ago to Kansas as I bought a big 230 acre cattle farm with tons of barns, so they are locked up tightly in a barn now until I get the runs built. and yesterday got 1 egg from them.

They are just stingy in giving eggs, they did just hit 3 years old
Seems like my pullets laid 2-3 eggs a week and the hens were 1-2 eggs a week. Also the darker the eggs the less eggs per week. I have not had a BCM hen lay an egg since Sept. Light Bramha's laying every other day. Leghorns an egg every day.TOM

I think our two Maran chicks are going to be Black Coppers… so happy about that. They are the heaviest chicks out of the group so far.
1A5E90CD-6A38-4869-9BFB-8050FAFF5169.jpeg

68450739-B7C8-445C-84E1-D0314A88E45A.jpeg

you have brought a nice tails ,gorgeous copper .correct body type plus some work to do in the form of parasitic white ,I think it is a good deal .
now you have all the marans traits in your place spread over few birds ,what we need to do is to group all the good traits in few birds first ,than we move forward .
I will have a look at the cockerels you posted ,they look good to me but I haven t had a proper look yet .
there is always ways to work with what we have .
looking forward to see more photos of your chooks .
chooks man
20220115_092608(0).jpg
20220115_092542.jpg
20220115_092608(0).jpg

I know I need proper angles but for now this will have to do.

Back
Top Bottom