Irresponsible neighbor and his roaming chickens

I agree with the dog idea. If they come into your yard and your dog gets it then it isn't your fault. You can also take them a few at a time to your local animal shelter and say you keep finding feral chickens in your yard. That way there is no evidence you killed them and if he calls the police and says you did, you can have the police look around if you want. As far as you're concerned a predator got them. And you are not obligated to tell anyone where you took them.

I agree with the dog idea. If they come into your yard and your dog gets it then it isn't your fault. You can also take them a few at a time to your local animal shelter and say you keep finding feral chickens in your yard. That way there is no evidence you killed them and if he calls the police and says you did, you can have the police look around if you want. As far as you're concerned a predator got them. And you are not obligated to tell anyone where you took them.
The problem with this is that 99% of the time, local shelters and police depts are intertwined because of legal/illegal animal issues. They exchange info all the time. My best friend worked at a shelter for 7 years and was in constant contact with police regarding reports, complaints, and like the OP's story, some of the humans were so bad she had to call for police backup.

Not my flock: Our neighbor has a flock of about 30 free range chickens that are roaming the neighborhood. We already have a 4' cattle fence separating his property from ours, but it does not keep the chickens out of my yard. We do have a farm, horses, but we do not have chickens. If I wanted chickens I would get them. I want to walk outside without stepping in chicken poop. I want to not get swarmed when I go in my yard. I want to fertilize/weed kill my lawn. I'd like to go approach the neighbor with suggestions, like: we are fertilizing, keep your chickens locked up for XX days, etc. I'm afraid if the chickens or people get sick he will try suing us. Any suggestions/guidelines? History - He tried to sue us when we built our horse barn for blocking his view of our property, and blocking the sun from the solar panels on the roof of his house, built on a hill above our property, surrounded by 60' tall oak trees. I wish I was kidding. He also had chickens many years ago, including a very aggressive rooster that would "fly" at you with it's talons out. We talked to him, and called the police several times and his solution was to follow one of the chickens onto our property and kill it in from of my young daughter. The police did nothing, he was retrieving his "property" from our yard. Do I need to talk to a lawyer? HELP!
A lot of reading but a call to the County Extension office may help. https://extension2.missouri.edu/g810

Not my flock: Our neighbor has a flock of about 30 free range chickens that are roaming the neighborhood. We already have a 4' cattle fence separating his property from ours, but it does not keep the chickens out of my yard. We do have a farm, horses, but we do not have chickens. If I wanted chickens I would get them. I want to walk outside without stepping in chicken poop. I want to not get swarmed when I go in my yard. I want to fertilize/weed kill my lawn. I'd like to go approach the neighbor with suggestions, like: we are fertilizing, keep your chickens locked up for XX days, etc. I'm afraid if the chickens or people get sick he will try suing us. Any suggestions/guidelines? History - He tried to sue us when we built our horse barn for blocking his view of our property, and blocking the sun from the solar panels on the roof of his house, built on a hill above our property, surrounded by 60' tall oak trees. I wish I was kidding. He also had chickens many years ago, including a very aggressive rooster that would "fly" at you with it's talons out. We talked to him, and called the police several times and his solution was to follow one of the chickens onto our property and kill it in from of my young daughter. The police did nothing, he was retrieving his "property" from our yard. Do I need to talk to a lawyer? HELP!
I have one chicken that I can't catch to clip its wings and it was roaming the neighbors yard. Her daughter told me about it and I told her the problem and said if she can catch it to cook it. She laughed because she thought I was worried about it and says she can't eat it because her elderly mom enjoys picking up the eggs behind the azaleas by her front door.. Now your neighbor and a bunch of chickens is negligence at the least.

That's still a pretty traumatic experience for the little girl. A dog kill is a messy and a noisy affair.

I'm still at make a plan to contain them safely and establish a flock. Any that straggle onto the OP's property would probably be happy to join a flock where there's easily available feed and water.

OR clip the wings of the "invaders" and then throw them back over the fence.

Hey y'all, I hate to point out that @chickeneighbor, the OP has not liked or commented on any of the replies to the original post. Leads me to think that we are all just feeding a troll.:(

Wow, so because I posted a query during my lunch hour and then worked all day, took care of my family and couldn't respond or read posts until late at night that makes me a troll? Thanks.
If this comment would have been followed up with some bona-fide interaction with the many people who have been trying to give the potential troll the benefit of a doubt that they were NOT a troll, then I would have believed they were an honest new member. But the following screen shot just shows typical troll posting methods:
IMG_7803.PNG

My guess? It's a juvenile funnin' with you all.

Well, the way I look at it, there has been interesting conversation around this problem, I got a great link to state fence laws, and the OP is well spoken and writes well, so if a juvenile, she's a better writer than most adults I see online. I really don't care if it's a leg pulling thing or a real problem, all of our posts eventually die after no responses anyway. If it's too much trouble to respond just don't. I remember working 10 - 12 hour days and no "fun time" left for forums and facebook, I didn't and still don't have a smart phone to look at every 15 minutes to respond to comments. I'm recently semi-retired and work from home (on the computer) and I do have time to play now. But if I'd gotten troll threats on my first question because it was the next day when I had time to look, I'd consider this a not very friendly forum. If it's a trick question by some giggly teenagers, who cares? If it's a real concern from a non-chicken owner, it makes some of us chicken fanciers look like the neighbor she's trying to deal with. Be kind. :love

I think some of the suggestions are good but having to put up a taller fence shouldn't be your responsibility. I would think trying to get a hold of animal control (if you have one in your area) and tell them about the chicken nuisance you are having and see what they suggest for you to do since your neighbor doesn't give a crap about his chickens. I also don't think it's your responsibility of what happens to his chickens if you fertilize your lawn and they get sick and die. If all else fails, contact your lawyer (since you have a history with this neighbor) and see what they suggest. Maybe have the lawyer deal with the neighbor through his lawyer. I've had chickens that are free range but never went into the neighbor's yard. I know that if I had a neighbor like him that doesn't care where his chickens go and how much of a nuisance they are, I would definitely be saying something to him or keep his chickens and make him pay to get them back. Let us know if you get this resolved.

Back
Top Bottom