Is it legal to shoot a dog on my property if they kill my chickens?

I would check the laws in your area but I would say you could shoot. I would tell the dog owners that if they don't keep the dogs off your property "I will kill them" . If they don't take those subtle clues they won't miss the dogs anyway.

()relics :

Quote:
I completely agree...Let's not shoot dogs especially if they are some ones pet...There has to be a solution other than shooting/killing them...I would start with their owner. They should be responsible enough to keep their pets in check...Then as was said, The animal control officer...Something...I would hate if my dog wandered into your yard and you shot her just because she was a dog....I put a piece of electric fence around my chicken yard about 12" off the ground....My dogs learned right away "stay away from the wire"...I suspect it might work for you too.
It doesn't seem fair that the flock owner has to go the extra mile to protect their flock but Really do you want to shoot your nieghbors pets?

Everyone needs to find their own way to deal with their predator problem. Just getting a bunch of dogs isn't going to work for everyone (I have five, and they do a great job). Calling animal control isn't going to work for everyone (doesn't work for me). Begging the neighbors isn't going to work for everyone (believe me, I've been there).

The OP already stated that she is not willing to put her house dog at risk. And she doesn't have to. And I agree with her: one dog isn't a match for three predatory dogs at the same time. Dogs, like people, are all different. If you're one lone dog can take on a pack of dogs or coyotes, kudos to you. But I would never subject one of my dogs to that. They go out in pairs or all together, never alone. My neighbors have lost a GSD to three coyotes not fifty feet from her back door. I guess he was a wimp, but he was *her* wimp and no one cried more than she did when he was gone. Take care of your own. No one will love them like you do.

Not everyone can just run out there and buy a dog to protect their flock. The OP already said she doesn't have fencing to speak of. Therefore, she would need to train this new dog it's boundaries, which takes time. And we can argue until we're blue in the face that a *good* LGD won't leave your property but the fact of the matter is, I don't know ANYONE with a LGD who doesn't contain them with some kind of fencing, because I don't know ANYONE whose LGD won't wander without fencing. Fact. If you have a LGD who can be contained without fencing, kudos to you, but everyone has a responsibility to contain their LGD just like any other dog. And she would have to find a LGD already familiar with protecting fowl, and not all of them are. Even a great pyranese needs to be trained if she gets a puppy. I was lucky enough to find an adult, from a rescue, who already knew her job was to protect all my livestock.

However, I don't know about anyone else but my LGD is also a monthly Frontline and Interceptor, plus food, plus yearly vaccines. She is not cheap. Bullets, by comparision, are cheap. I know that some people don't give their LGD's much, but I wouldn't have a dog at all without proper vaccines, heartworm preventative and something for parasites.

That said, what can be more effective than shooting the culprit in question? I haven't had a natural predator bother my chickens for over three years, thanks to my dogs patrolling. By shooting at the neighbor's dogs (who were my only problem), I have eliminated my problem. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM at all shooting at their dogs, as they evidently have no problem letting them out of their kennels to roam around, knowing they end up here at my place.

As for the dog owner: I have asked, begged and demanded for months that they keep their dogs away from me. The only thing that worked was shooting at them and they *still* let them out. If they CARED about their dog, they'd keep their dog on their own property. When your dog wanders, and causes damage to other people's property, and you have been warned several times, you have only yourself to blame when it gets shot. I no longer have tolerance for people who harrass their neighbors by allowing their dogs to go out and damage their property and kill their livestock and pets. I've been down that road and it just doesn't work for me.

Do I feel bad shooting at the neighbor's dogs? Yes, I feel bad for the dog. But I have a responsibility to protect my own, in the best way for me. However, I don't have an ounce of pity for the dog owner.

Browneyebuttafly, if you do decide to get a LGD, while some people would disagree, I can't say adamantly enough that ONE LGD will not be enough against three or more maurading dogs as you describe them. If the one LGD is able to keep the trespassers away with just barking, you're home free. But if they're aggressive and attack your LGD, you will need two. And don't feel bad about getting dogs to protect your livestock, they were bred to do this. They like it. They're happy with the job. They would protect you, your kids, your home and your livestock (they don't like my house dogs though - but that's another story).​

Part if the reason we have not gotten a dog is the large neighborhood pack. We can not afford to keep several dogs. So how on earth would it be fair to get one dog and expect that dog to protect the stock and survive against a huge pack of extremely vicious dogs? A pack so vicious they have no fear going after full grown healthy horses. We predator proof the barn and coop/run. If its still a problem we call the cops, if its an emergency I will shoot. I have far too much time, money and attachment invested in my animals to stand idle and let them die a horrible death.

Just getting a dog is not the cure all to pest and predator problems. Dogs are expensive, they deserve good care and a loving home. Also there are people who are allergic to dogs and cant have them around. Some people just don’t care and wont do anything to keep their own animal at home. If they are so willing to throw their dogs safety away then you have to wonder how bad of a life that dog has at home.

Quote:
I have to say, while I love my four house dogs very much, they're a big financial drain. Not only the food, monthly heartworm preventative, monthly parasite preventative, yearly shots, etc. But if they get sick or injured, I have to have them treated if it's not something I can take care of myself. I probably won't replace two of them. In other words, I'd not have four at the same time again, unless I'm sure I can afford all the expenses. The expenses are horrible. The LGD is yet another monthly and yearly expense that I didn't need. Having lots of dogs, if you're going to take care of them, isn't going to be the answer for everyone. There's no sense having them if you can't take care of them.

Also, Browneyebuttafly, when you see the dogs wandering at large on your property, take pictures showing they are running at large or on your property. If they ever attack anything on your property, make a report with the sheriff's office or police department, and take pictures. Keep good records to support you when you do shoot them.

()relics :

Quote:
I completely agree...Let's not shoot dogs especially if they are some ones pet...There has to be a solution other than shooting/killing them...I would start with their owner. They should be responsible enough to keep their pets in check...Then as was said, The animal control officer...Something...I would hate if my dog wandered into your yard and you shot her just because she was a dog....I put a piece of electric fence around my chicken yard about 12" off the ground....My dogs learned right away "stay away from the wire"...I suspect it might work for you too.
It doesn't seem fair that the flock owner has to go the extra mile to protect their flock but Really do you want to shoot your nieghbors pets?

I would never just shoot a dog for wandering in my yard. Now, these dogs, or any dog at that, who comes into my yard and goes after my chickens or any other pet....I would shoot if I had to. If I can't get them running by yelling, I will shoot them. There is a very old lab that comes into my yard every once in awhile and she is very kind, she would never hurt my chickens and/or pets, therefore, I'd never harm her. I don't want to hurt or kill another animal unless they are hurting my animals. At the moment I don't have the money to get a fenced in yard, and in my opinion I shouldn't have to buy fencing to keep other dogs out. My dog don't is never tied out. When i'm outside, he's outside and he ALWAYS stays right in the yard. Now when I go inside and he's all alone out there, he starts to wander out of my yard....that's why I don't leave him outside by himself anymore. As far as the electric fence, I'd love to get one but that's when I have the money to do so. That is a good idea, and one that I have thought of, but just can't do so at the moment. Shooting a dog is my last resort, and I hope I never have to do it...but I'd never do it just for them wandering. If I catch them in the act, that's when the gun will step in.​

()relics :

Quote:

Had to many animal kill by dogs running loose, if you dont want your dog shot keep it up. Dont want to shoot them, but thats needs to be done.
I have had those guard dogs watching sheep, kill chicken. They need control also.

Best for dogs running loose SSS​

Last edited:
In my lifetime I've had neighbors whom I'd've liked to shoot, and maybe even their dogs. All of my neighbors now though are great, and often my own dogs and their dogs get out of the fences and roam. I could never kill their dogs for killing my chickens; however, if someone killed my two corgis for killing their livestock, I'd understand. If you have unbearable neighbors, do as you will.

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I agree....I have neighbors right now, that are pains, but I would never shoot their dogs for killing my chickens. I would however fix the fact that dogs got to my chickens.

Last edited:
Well, it's sort of like this in my view.

How badly do you want to protect your chickens?

Just building a secure run and keeping them locked up all the time isn't enough, in my view. Even the most secure systems have weaknesses, and has been pointed out, there are predators out there that are very good at exploiting weaknesses. If you want to tractor your birds, there is even more potential for weakness. If you want to free range them as was mentioned as a preference in the OP, then all bets are off.

You need multi-layered protection. A dog or two is added protection, and in the case of free range birds, the ONLY protection. If your birds aren't that important to you or you can't afford a dog, then I guess you will have to just live with the consequences. You may not lose your birds to these dogs, but you will lose some eventually to others, or a different predator altogether.

You don't need four or five dogs to repel even a pack. One or two would be sufficient as a deterrent in most cases. One if it is one of the LGD breeds. Dogs understand territory, and aren't likely to breach the territory of a big dog, especially one that seems intent on defending its turf. As I said, my lab has been enough on my place. Labs are a medium size breed, and she isn't even very big for a lab. If she can do it, I know a well trained LGD can.

So still I would say to the OP, if you want to free range your birds, then do it. Just get a good dog.

As an avid dog AND chicken lover, this is my opinion, IF the dogs just got out once...maybe twice on accident. If its NOT a normal occurance to have these dogs running loose in the neighborhood, then i'd talk to and warn the neighbors first. (because i would want the same respect if my dogs got out on accident) BUT..if the dogs keep getting loose and it becomes a problem id first try to catch the dogs and bring them to a shelter..even if you only catch 1 dog. When that dog dosent come home the neighbor might smarten up then and keep better care of his other dogs. But..if you cant catch the dogs and the neighbor has ALREADY been warned, well then..you have to do what you have to do to protect your flock AND even YOUR dog from them. Its a tough thing to do..Good luck with everything.

Back
Top Bottom