Is it legal to shoot a dog on my property if they kill my chickens?

Quote:
I would never, never put my dogs at risk because some scum bag lets HIS dogs run loose. I'd catch the dogs or shoot them before i let my dog get attacked. just my opinion. WHy should you put your dogs at risk when a bullet will take care of the problem? (the FIRST thing i'd do is talk to the neighbor though) Why let your dog get injured? I would never do this, never. Also..you mention that dogs wont breach the territory of large dogs? Um...no..not true...again i have 3 large dogs and i've had strays come into my yard...
hu.gif
My neighbors and i caught the stray and called the dog officer..the person got fined and 3 days later her dog was loose again on our road.. idiot...
smack.gif
And this dog was fearful of humans too.

Quote:
Only way I would trust a dog to protect my animal, would be if he could shoot a gun!!

Ever think some animal fear all dogs even the ones there to protect them. Can be kill by the dogs scaring them!!! (pheasant,quail,deer, and etc)

Last edited:
Quote:
One or two dogs cant not survive and protect the stock from a large pack. I don’t care what breed they are or how big they are. It is downright cruel and abusive to think that anyone would willingly let their one or two dogs go up against a large aggressive pack of proven killers. You are not thinking of your own dogs safety or well being if you are willing to put them up against 10+ dogs all on their own. Yes, your dog will try to defend the homestead and get injured or killed in the process.

Quote:
One or two dogs cant not survive and protect the stock from a large pack. I don’t care what breed they are or how big they are. It is downright cruel and abusive to think that anyone would willingly let their one or two dogs go up against a large aggressive pack of proven killers. You are not thinking of your own dogs safety or well being if you are willing to put them up against 10+ dogs all on their own. Yes, your dog will try to defend the homestead and get injured or killed in the process.

Okay, now we're no longer talking about 4 dogs that may or may not be killing chickens, but rather 10+ vicious proven killers. Okay. Why not 50? A hundred? [I love how these discussions escalate like this.]

My Great Pyr was procured specifically to protect my flocks in the fields. She will no doubt need to do so against coyotes. For the most part, there aren't many large packs around here, but there may be. If she isn't there to protect against them, and the 'yotes get through my other defenses and I'm not home, then my birds and (by then) goats will be easy pickings. What about them? Why isn't it cruel to just let those coyotes or 10+ dog packs just have at them?

Again, you get the dog to protect your flocks. You don't get the dog to put it up against 10+ vicious man eating killer dogs.

But if those dogs (or coyotes) come, yes, I will expect her to defend against them as best she can, with my beautiful beloved black lab right at her side.

Quote:
On one, I'm not going to sit in my fields all day and night to protect my flocks like my dogs do and will.

On two, not if the my birds or sheep or goats or whatever are raised with the dog, and the well trained dog with them. I strongly recommend you check out the following site...

http://www.lgd.org

Quote:
What I would do is to use the link to Animal law given by the other folks here, find the specific PA laws addressing vicious dogs, and dogs killing/harassing livestock, (and everything else you can find) PRINT it out and give it to your neighbors.

It may preclude any problems if they know you are within your right to protect your livestock by whatever means are necessary - that way you don't have to lose any birds initially before you "give them a first chance" - the notice is their first chance... it's proactive, responsible and neighborly.

After that, all bets are off.

Good luck!

Dogs that run loose are a danger to your birds... period. If it is legal to shoot, do it. To ease your conscience, give the owners warning first... if you can find who owns the dogs. Most times, I find dog owners will not admit their dogs run loose or kill. Dogs will not stop once they start. Too bad for the dog, but protect your flock. You have the right to have a free range flock. Period.

It's not a pack of killers, or coyote.. It's 2 beloved pets that belong to the neighbors.The neighbor is not being a responsible person. First put your request in writing ,that they keep there dogs home. My only suggestion is "What ever you do, you have to live with that". If your birds are killed it was probably when you couldn't be there to protect them anyways, & you wont truly know what killed them.... Do 2 wrongs make a rite? I always try to put myself in the other persons shoes,& try to see things from the other side. Then make a decision based on whats fare for every one. I wouldn't want some one to shoot my pet....Just my 2 cents

Quote:
I agree. I would be very,very ticked if my dogs got out once and were shot. Thats why its very important to talk to the neighbor. Hopefully the neighbor will listen and understand..If not, something has to be done about the dogs running loose.

Back
Top Bottom